C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for a narrow garage door?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 03:08 PM
The Sandman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for a narrow garage door?

My garage doors are pretty narrow. My house is only four years old, so I am not sure why they would build a new house with a garage with such a narrow opening. I used to fit my Tahoe in with no problem, but I had to fold in the mirrors. I also didn't care too much if I scratched the Tahoe, so I think the lack of concern made it easier to pull in with confidence.

I get very nervous every time I pull my new GS in or out of the garage. The mirrors fit without being folded, and that makes it easier to back in, but I worry a lot about those wide fenders, which only have a few inches of clearance. I have a good view of the mirrors, so I have no problems there, but I cant see the fenders as I am pulling in or out. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to make this chore easier?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:25 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the minimum "out of the box" garage door is 96 inches. Are you saying your vette is close to 96" wide....outside mirror to outside mirror? I guess I need to go measure mine.

But if that's the case, what are you specifically asking? You can enlarge the door with some major construction and finance. And the car is, what it is. So.......
Old 10-31-2010, 03:29 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

I have an old house which has a garage with narrow doors. I just watch my mirrors when I go in; using the left one as a guide while keeping an eye on the right side. Even on the GS, your fenders won't stick out as far as your mirrors do.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Ghost 23
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 117 Posts

You might try to hang two tennis ***** from string on each side of the entrance such that if you are not approaching properly you will see a string move. Or, you might mount a section of 2x4 on each side of the driveway approaching the garage such that the tires will bump up if you are not approaching properly (sort of like some car washes use guide rails).
Old 10-31-2010, 03:34 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Where I keep my Gs most of the time has a narrow opening, and I have no trouble going in or out backwards.

You need to learn how to trust your mirrors, I learned that from driving a 50 ton Euclid.
<--------
Old 10-31-2010, 03:36 PM
The Sandman
Advanced

Originally Posted by RnLi
I believe the minimum "out of the box" garage door is 96 inches. Are you saying your vette is close to 96" wide....outside mirror to outside mirror? I guess I need to go measure mine.

But if that's the case, what are you specifically asking? You can enlarge the door with some major construction and finance. And the car is, what it is. So.......
I just measured. It is exactly 94 inches. From brick to brick 98, but the moldings take up 2 inches on each side.

What am I asking? Techniques? Products they may sell to put on the sides so the car wont scratch as easily if it touches? I dont know? Anything at all?

Old 10-31-2010, 03:38 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

When I used to have a very narrow garage I would never try to back in. If I pulled straight in I could back straight out.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:42 PM
The Sandman
Advanced

BTW, the walls have all been cleared off since this pic was taken.

I wonder if it would look ok without the moldings???
Old 10-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Best bet is to spend money and fix the garage. That's an issue with sport cars....low and wide....includes driveways and parking spots in addition to garages. I passed on a great house because of the driveway retrofit cost.

Tools - There are lasers made for lining up your car. Put a dot on the dash, open door, align laser to dot drive in. Maybe two lasers so you do not go in at an angle.

Tennis ***** on the side that hit the mirrors so you know you are aligned.

Scratches...foam pipe insulation or rubber padding, even bubble wrap placed on the garage side walls/ beams may save the paint. Still may crack the car though.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:22 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

As a truck driver here is a trick I use in tight areas that I KNOW the vehicle will fit1

Get just as close to the driver’s side as you can. That side is much easier to see visually. You can turn your head and get a good perspective. If your tight side is fitting in OK you know you are doing fine. You know the car will fit, that method should help a bit
Old 10-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good rear view camera might be beneficial and just being extra careful. Maybe a strip of neon/reflective colored tape on the outer edges of the molding will give you a better perspective of how close you are. especially at night.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:51 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by The Sandman
My garage doors are pretty narrow. My house is only four years old, so I am not sure why they would build a new house with a garage with such a narrow opening. I used to fit my Tahoe in with no problem, but I had to fold in the mirrors. I also didn't care too much if I scratched the Tahoe, so I think the lack of concern made it easier to pull in with confidence.

I get very nervous every time I pull my new GS in or out of the garage. The mirrors fit without being folded, and that makes it easier to back in, but I worry a lot about those wide fenders, which only have a few inches of clearance. I have a good view of the mirrors, so I have no problems there, but I cant see the fenders as I am pulling in or out. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to make this chore easier?

repetition is the key. When backing in I make sure I have plenty of room on the drivers side and as Im backing I concentrate on the passenger side. keep backing with the frame of the door in the passenger mirror when you see a bit of space just keep backing and the flares will clear then recheck the drivers side. Once the backis in the front will follow(DUH) but dont turn the wheel.If you got a Tahoe in there you should have no problem. In fact when your done look around at all the space you have.

Clif

Last edited by z06clif; 10-31-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-31-2010, 04:55 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

As a truck driver here is a trick I use in tight areas that I KNOW the vehicle will fit.

Get just as close to the driver’s side as you can. That side is much easier to see visually. You can turn your head and get a good perspective. If your tight side is fitting in OK you know you are doing fine. You know the car will fit, that method should help a bit
I agree. I've been backing huge fire engines into ancient, narrow-doored fire houses for nearly 38 years and I haven't scratched the paint yet. Learn your rig, trust your mirrors. As has been said, you know the car will fit without touching so that's not the issue - the problem is your comfort level with your own abilities, so FIX THAT.

My garage isn't any wider that yours and I zip right in, forwards or backwards. Granted, mine's a standard C6 - but you can do this. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, that is a narrow clearance, as thought I had it bad parking my ZO-6 under a four post storage lift and there's 99 inches. Guess you've just gotta keep a real close eye on the side view mirrors. From the look's of your garage pick, you might be able to change the side molding's to a different type to maybe gain an extra inch.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:25 PM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a new home with a four car garage. Believe it or not thats what I did.
Capt Bob
Old 10-31-2010, 05:31 PM
REPZ06
Racer

I have a narrow garage also . When I pull in I keep the passenger side mirror close to where the opening starts . When I back out I keep it straight and always check the mirrors. I would invest in some wall bumpers called park smart usually around $10 saves your doors from hitting the walls.
Name:  007-1.jpg
Views: 3190
Size:  89.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0080.jpg
Views: 3833
Size:  100.4 KB
Name:  015-2.jpg
Views: 3208
Size:  77.2 KB
Old 10-31-2010, 05:40 PM
RAVEN007
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Sandman
I just measured. It is exactly 94 inches. From brick to brick 98, but the moldings take up 2 inches on each side.

What am I asking? Techniques? Products they may sell to put on the sides so the car wont scratch as easily if it touches? I dont know? Anything at all?

Take off 2 inch wood moulding and replace it with 1 inch wood moulding then put 1 inch rubber weather stripping on top of wood.
I try to get the driver's rear view mirror as close as I can to the rubber moulding when I pull into the garage knowing that I have adequate clearance on the passenger side.
I use a boat fender on a string on the passenger side to know if I have proper clearance.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips for a narrow garage door?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:21 PM
tomc8at
Race Director

I' building a new house and garage. The Corvette always comes first... Even a caveman can do it LOL
Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

I found out the HARD WAY that clear vinyl (as in, my Vette's nose bra) will keep the car from being damaged while dragging across and actually crushing part of the garage door molding. Front corner of the car had white paint all over it, it just came off with solvent, not a scratch on the car's paint.

I suppose you could just attach the vinyl to the door frame.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:37 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll bet you could remove that center brick section and make 1 large garage door opening. My new garage has a 23 ft wide single door so I can park my vette and F150 without any problems.

Usually you could run a lam beam across the top of the new opening.. if not possible the a single steel lally column would support any carrying requirement. That would give you a substantial increase in width.

Ask a good contractor to estimate it. Garage doors aren't very expensive and the construction I don't think would cost all that much...

Quick Reply: Tips for a narrow garage door?