C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Clutch Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 PM
PJohnsonATX
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Clutch Chatter

05 Coupe. 15k miles. I've got a fair amount of what i assume is clutch chatter in first/reverse under 1k RPM when engaging clutch (disengaging pedal). At times, car shakes pretty bad if I don't keep the RPMs up. Trying to understand what amount (if any) of clutch chatter is normal in the C6.

I've done plenty of research on the forum regarding chatter in the C6 specifically. See mixed results. Any thoughts on this? Would like to avoid replacing the clutch if possible. No evidence of slipping or other issues.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by PJohnsonATX
05 Coupe. 15k miles. I've got a fair amount of what i assume is clutch chatter in first/reverse under 1k RPM when engaging clutch (disengaging pedal). At times, car shakes pretty bad if I don't keep the RPMs up. Trying to understand what amount (if any) of clutch chatter is normal in the C6.

I've done plenty of research on the forum regarding chatter in the C6 specifically. See mixed results. Any thoughts on this? Would like to avoid replacing the clutch if possible. No evidence of slipping or other issues.
I assume you've done a bunch of clutch fluid change outs? That essentially eliminated my problem of low RPM lack of engagement smoothness.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:52 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I assume you've done a bunch of clutch fluid change outs? That essentially eliminated my problem of low RPM lack of engagement smoothness.
I got Chatter at 85k miles. Changing fluid greatly helped. Chatter later returned and I changed clutch at around 100,000 miles.

Recommend changing fluid as first attempt

Edit......05 Vette presently 115,000 miles

Last edited by xlr8rvette; 11-04-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 AM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Yes. Do the clutch fluid change. It really smoothed out my 05 at about 20K miles.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:30 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you folks referring to the method where we suck out dark fluid from the clutch master and replace with fresh fluid, or are you doing a real total flush with new hydraulic fluid?
Old 11-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by florida john
Are you folks referring to the method where we suck out dark fluid from the clutch master and replace with fresh fluid, or are you doing a real total flush with new hydraulic fluid?
I use a large syringe...
Old 11-04-2010, 05:44 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by florida john
They're referring to changing out the fluid from the clutch master cylinder.

With my C6, changing out the fluid helped smooth out the shifts, but did not have an effect on clutch chatter.

Mine has had intermittent clutch chatter, that comes & goes, since I bought it new. The last time I swapped out the fluid, the chatter came back. It had been gone for several thousand miles.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Clutch chatter comes from riding/slipping the clutch on pull out, if it isn't chattering too badly it might work out.

Get your foot off that clutch as soon as you can, don't play games holding the car on hills.

The last new civic I bought was brought in from another dealer and they sent someone with bad clutch habits to get it.

Took me over a month to work out the chatter, hope yours works out.

Get notified of new replies

To 05 Clutch Chatter

Quick Reply: 05 Clutch Chatter