C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:30 PM
MSTROBES
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default headers?

will headers void the warranty?
after install what adjustment are needed? tune,or computer reset?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO it will depend on the type of issue that you try to repair under the warranty. It will also depend on the dealer and the service rep who writes up the service order.

To get the most from headers, a tune is recommended. This may void warranty more than the actual headers themselves - but once again, it depends greatly on the type of problem you want to get repaired under warranty.

Example: getting seats replaced, a squeaky top, or other non drive train, engine, exhaust issues would probably slide under the radar.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:18 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

When I just had headers installed the dealer was fine with them. They even did the install. It seems to depend on the service manager.

I didn't get any kind of tuning for the headers.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Tom's_03SVT
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would say your emissions warranty would be.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Any performance enhancing modification has the potential to void vast portions of your warranty...your power train warranty, emissions warranty, etc. Unless its for off-road (track) use, I believe removing, altering, relocating OEM cats is prohibited by federal law. If you're subject to a emissions inspection its possible a car with long tube headers will not pass. Some people with long tube headers may get warranty work done and pass emissions testing. I'm all for modifying a car you just have to be prepared to accept the consequences, if any.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:31 AM
pahlbfishn
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe removing, altering, relocating OEM cats is prohibited by federal law.

I talked to my inspection guy and he told me that this is not true. If it passes the sniffer then all is good.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:43 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pahlbfishn

I talked to my inspection guy and he told me that this is not true. If it passes the sniffer then all is good.
Your inspection guy is wrong. There is no "sniffer test" on a C6. Federal Law requires original cats in the original position on the visual portion of any State inspection. If he doesn't enforce it that's great but it is Federal Law.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Tom's_03SVT
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Maybe in TX, but in CA you fail the visual, you fail the smog check regardless of how clean it runs.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have been told that it is a federal felony to remove/replace/etc. any part of the system on a car with less than 50K miles and/or 5 years old.
I have always wondered how so many seem to get by without legal problems.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:46 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
Your inspection guy is wrong. There is no "sniffer test" on a C6. Federal Law requires original cats in the original position on the visual portion of any State inspection. If he doesn't enforce it that's great but it is Federal Law.
his " inspection guy" is dead wrong.

Relocating catalytic converters is a violation of federal law, and why Katech and Callaway won't fool with installing long tube headers on cars registered for street use in the U.S.

Well Katech will reinstall your long tube headers if your car came to them with them already on it.

But they go to lengths to document that it came to them that way, so as to not violate this
law, ( the clean air act), and incur five figure fines for each occurrence.

Some interesting information below.
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...accomp-rpt.pdf page 24

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-06-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Stickboy97
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked my local dealer about my warranty and what would/would not void it. He said CAI, Headers, Mufflers.... basically any air related changes were ok and would not void the warranty.... However, to get the full use/power out of the adder you need to tune it. That will void quite a bit of your warranty. If you are concerned about your warranty don't get the headers, it'll be a waste.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:14 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickboy97
I asked my local dealer about my warranty and what would/would not void it. He said CAI, Headers, Mufflers.... basically any air related changes were ok and would not void the warranty.... However, to get the full use/power out of the adder you need to tune it. That will void quite a bit of your warranty. If you are concerned about your warranty don't get the headers, it'll be a waste.
Dealers will say anything to sell you a car. The Dealer is NOT the final decision maker on a Warranty, the GM area Rep. is, if the area Rep says no the Dealer doesn't get paid by GM, Guess who has to pay?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Dealers will say anything to sell you a car. The Dealer is NOT the final decision maker on a Warranty, the GM area Rep. is, if the area Rep says no the Dealer doesn't get paid by GM, Guess who has to pay?
I agree, the dealers can't even determine how to properly put the car on the lift without damaging the rocker panels...
Old 11-06-2010, 09:12 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

A little more info on headers and warranty is below.

To the original ppster, re warranty and long tube headers, you might want to check with Z06 owner Frenchican. He can possibly give you more information.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...post1565254040

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ty-merged.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-question.html

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-06-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Research federal laws yourself to be sure. Don't trust someone's opinion. Violation of a federal law is never good, especially when you are talking about big fines. I heard headers don't provide much additional performance unless you tune the PCM which will definitely take care of your powertrain warranty if something breaks.

Get notified of new replies

To headers?

Quick Reply: headers?