C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hatred toward CORVETTES

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 PM
MARVIN 34
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hatred toward CORVETTES

why do certain people hate our cars ? is it because they can't afford 1 and envy us or what ? every since i got my 1st vette 5 years ago, my car has been egged twice, bmw & mercedes owners always want to cut me off and get in front of me, guys with their modified novas & chevelles would be in front of me @ a stop light revving their engines and then floor it when the green light comes on kicking up dirt & gravel, imports and mustangs always want to race on the street and dont realize how dangerous it is, aston martin & lambo owners would be side by side looking at my vette for more than 5 seconds and when i "wave" at them they turn their head and pull away, i once parked my car way in the back in a wal-mart parking lot and came back some clown in a gto had his car right next to mine when there was plenty open space and just the other morning some couple in a maxima cuts me off and when we get to the next stop light the woman in the maxima sticks her skinny arm out the window and shoots me the finger. i had never this type of disrespect with the 3 camaros and the grandnational i owned. do you guys have go thru things like this too ? i wonder if porsche and viper owners experience situations like this. i hate when people show their ignorance and almost start a road rage incident. seems like the only people that admire our vettes are future vette owners and guys who are into cars.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Importluva
Racer

You sure its not you? There are plenty of a-hole drivers around here and i've not had experiences like that.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 PM
AlfredMay
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not experienced any of this. Of course, I do not live in a big city either.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 PM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I see far more positive reactions than negative ones as both a Vette and a Viper driver. Problem is, we tend to remember the negative ones more. Unfortunately we get to see how stupid some people can be which somehow is exacerbated by being inside a car on the road.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:12 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I have had the occasional person cut me off, or someone tailgating me, but nothing like you have experienced. There are plenty of nice cars out there especially where you live so it is hard to imagine any jealousy or hatred for the Vette to a large degree.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:15 PM
naples53
Racer

Just move !!! I never never had a problem. In Naples, Fl there are too many high end cars to even count. Vetts are no big deal here!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:17 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of jealous a55h0les out there who made poor decisions in their life and then resent us for making good ones.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Even the homeless love Vettes in my area.
There is the issue of cars parking to close even though I am at the far end of a parking lot.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I have not seen any of that in the small town where I live. Of course, I make it a point not to bring it on by taking up 2 parking places, etc..
Old 11-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have not have those problems in my Vette (glad I haven't).
Old 11-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Fast98
Safety Car

Alot of people today just hate america.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never have had a single issue with people in NH where I bought mine in 07/08, nor since moving to NC in 04/10. People here are friendly and courteous. Took the wife to dinner last night and when we came out to our car to go home two different people went out if their way to compliment our CRM coupe. In NH most people drove pick-ups and Corvettes weren't all that common, here in Mooresville, nice cars abound, so I don't think it's what other people drive that matters. I see on the news that Las Vegas is one of the worst places in the country for home foreclosures and the like, so if anything I would suspect people there are stressed out big time and perhaps take it out on those that seem to be living large while they are suffering. Make sense?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:16 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by laconiajack
I never have had a single issue with people in NH where I bought mine in 07/08, nor since moving to NC in 04/10. People here are friendly and courteous. Took the wife to dinner last night and when we came out to our car to go home two different people went out if their way to compliment our CRM coupe. In NH most people drove pick-ups and Corvettes weren't all that common, here in Mooresville, nice cars abound, so I don't think it's what other people drive that matters. I see on the news that Las Vegas is one of the worst places in the country for home foreclosures and the like, so if anything I would suspect people there are stressed out big time and perhaps take it out on those that seem to be living large while they are suffering. Make sense?
Ditto!....

We are in the same town!...

Old 11-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Rich_562
Former user ID rcthmpsn
Support Corvetteforum!

People have only praised my car. I make a point of not to brag about it or flaunt it. I let people look at it and tell them all they want to know. Grant it, I haven't had it long.

As for as getting passed or cut off? I don't let that happen.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:24 PM
ejbrace
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Z
I have not have those problems in my Vette (glad I haven't).
Have gotten a lot of positive reactions
Old 11-14-2010, 01:28 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In the first place why do you let ANY of this bother you? People are rude, arrogant, confrontational, and drive reckelessly no matter what they are driving or what you're driving. It's called human nature.

In the second place I take issue with your belief that vette owners can "afford" their cars and that this upsets other drivers. Recent annual sales are 1/3rd what they were just a couple of years ago. Why is this?

It's simple really: The other 2/3rds of people who might have bought a vette could not REALLY afford this kind of toy but were fooling themselves. They used home equity lines of credit, cash advances on credit cards, or BIG budget busting payments to "afford" the vette. Now, with many of these, no doubt, sub $100K folks out of work or facing constriction of their once wide open credit lines....now we have a clearer picture of how many vette owners can really afford their cars....it appears to be about 1/3rd of the prior number.

Do you know what it's like to drive around in a new SL500? How about a quarter million ( or more ) exotic? Most of the ordinary people about whose behavior you complain have no screaming idea how expensive these cars are. You can buy two vettes for the price of one top of the line MB.....two or MORE!

As to the real answer to who can "afford" a vette or any other kind of "toy" car......when you can walk in and write a check and when that amount does not really cause you to pause....that's when you can "afford" your vette.

It has never occurred to me to envy anyone who is making big payments on anything especially when the item in question is an optional "toy" car etc.

I think you may have delusions of grandeur. Owning a vette, with the possible exception of a new ZR1, is a very common ordinary thing for the middle class. As the middle class shrinks and cowers before economic storms....well, so have vette sales shrunk.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

He'll, just look on this forum , there are so called Corvette people who hate on specific models of the Corvette! HATE is even where you would least expect it,

Get notified of new replies

To hatred toward CORVETTES

Old 11-14-2010, 01:35 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I live in Vegas same as the OP. I've not had any of that on the road. I get waves from other Vette owners but nothing rude from anyone else. Mostly just get a lot of looks. I did come out from a restaurant one time and my vette was parked alone at the end of the lot when I went in and there was a POS crown vic right next to it when I came out. I kinda wondered why he did that with a lot of empty spaces closer to the restaurant but not a big deal.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Smooth9883
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MARVIN 34
why do certain people hate our cars ? is it because they can't afford 1 and envy us or what ? every since i got my 1st vette 5 years ago, my car has been egged twice, bmw & mercedes owners always want to cut me off and get in front of me, guys with their modified novas & chevelles would be in front of me @ a stop light revving their engines and then floor it when the green light comes on kicking up dirt & gravel, imports and mustangs always want to race on the street and dont realize how dangerous it is, aston martin & lambo owners would be side by side looking at my vette for more than 5 seconds and when i "wave" at them they turn their head and pull away, i once parked my car way in the back in a wal-mart parking lot and came back some clown in a gto had his car right next to mine when there was plenty open space and just the other morning some couple in a maxima cuts me off and when we get to the next stop light the woman in the maxima sticks her skinny arm out the window and shoots me the finger. i had never this type of disrespect with the 3 camaros and the grandnational i owned. do you guys have go thru things like this too ? i wonder if porsche and viper owners experience situations like this. i hate when people show their ignorance and almost start a road rage incident. seems like the only people that admire our vettes are future vette owners and guys who are into cars.
I'll be honest with you, this is the primary reason I am selling my car. It isn't enjoyable to drive anymore.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Smooth9883
I'll be honest with you, this is the primary reason I am selling my car. It isn't enjoyable to drive anymore.
Heh?

You are letting other people determine what you enjoy?...you've GOT to be kiddin'!....

Quick Reply: hatred toward CORVETTES