C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still having DBS and GM saying they won't solve

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still having DBS and GM saying they won't solve

I am still having the old DBS on my 2008. I basically drive the car 3+ times a week and the battery slowly goes down to the point that it won't start, unless I put it on a charger every so often. I know this has been beat to death here, but I am still pissed at GM. You buy a $54,000 car and if you don't drive it every day, you have to plug it in. It's a bunch of garbage as far as I'm concerned. They won't even provide me with one of the new chargers they have come out with. "It is an accessory, not required to operate the vehicle" according to the GM rep. The dealer service writer supervisor says he runs into this with corvette owners all the time. He cannot explain it, but basically says if you don't drive every day, then plug her in. He said it would be the same for any of the new cars with all the computers, etc., but since typical corvette owners don't drive it every day, it just shows up with them all the time.

GM's initial solution was basically to offer me a year's worth of oil/lube service. This happens to be the same thing Pontiac gave us when we bought the wife's 2009 Solstice Coupe. A couple bucks worth of oil but a pain to take to the dealer, especially since I do my own changes. Then she comes back and says that is not even approved. I have purchased like 14 GM vehicles in my life and GM is just running me off. Her final answer is that she has made note of it in her files should it happen again for them to review, but will not guarantee they will solve after the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty expires next March. Very poor GM attitude and customer care.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:16 PM
PJRed2008
Pro

If you don't drive the car far enought to fully charge the battery, any car will slowly lose charge. Also, we all know there is power being used all the time, and thats the same with any vehicle, plus the battery will also lose its charge over time. Seems like, for all the running around you've done, you could have bought a CTEK and be done with it. Course, then you couldn't gripe.

My Audi does it too and it cost more than the vette.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:18 PM
StoplightWarrior
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

that's so weird. I NEVER had this issue with my 08. I even went out of town for 2 weeks, came home and it started right up. Is this common??
Old 11-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

My 08Z has gone for 4 weeks in a very cold garage and started right up when I hit the start button. One time it didn't last that long and I found out I didn't shut the car off all the way when I was checking the gauges. Now I always start the engine then shut the car off so when the engine stops I know the car is actually shut off.

The other thing I do is make sure the interior lights are turned off. It is very easy to hit the switch on the dash panel and turn on the lights. One time another guy and myself were trying to figure out why the mirror lights in his car were staying on and then we realized he had hit the switch and turned them on. To make sure they go off you have to stand and watch them after closing the door to make sure they go out when they are supposed to.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-18-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:59 PM
DriverC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three times a week should be plenty if the battery is good and you're driving it more than a few miles each time. If the battery hasnt been replaced, it might be worth a try since its not that unusal for them to go bad (sucks but sure read a lof of stories on CF) after a couple of years. I've been very lucky. Replaced battery on my 05 (its an auto so doesnt have the "official" DBS issue) in early 08 and it has worked perfectly even when left unstarted a week or more.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:04 PM
gene0809
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

maybe check the water in the battery.....and grab a ctek
Old 11-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Rednblack
Pro

Originally Posted by StoplightWarrior
that's so weird. I NEVER had this issue with my 08. I even went out of town for 2 weeks, came home and it started right up. Is this common??
Same with my 08 - it has sat for over 3 weeks without a problem. Sorry you are having the problem - I'd think it would be the same for everyone if it were something normal.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:22 PM
XSQUID
Instructor

Yeah, me too. My 08 has sat for several weeks in cold weather with no starting problems. Even with MTW installed. I have heard that will drain the battery if not disconnected if you are leaving it sit for long periods of time. No problemo for me.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:28 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

The typical driving is a minimum 10 miles to any place and then return. The dealership did replace the battery last Jan after going through a number of these dead battery issues. It was then fine for 5 or 6 months, then started up again. After I would charge it up, the problem goes away for 4-6 weeks. Basically, I think something in the car is using power and the alt is not getting it back up. I used to leave the fob in the car but the dealer said is keeping the car awake. So the past month or so I did not leave it in, but it still happened. Not sure if the fob really keeps the car awake or not. Someone here told me the fob does not become an issue until you touch the door pad so it has not bearing. The dealer has told me that 10 miles should easily be enough to recharge what you used in starting. They have checked for a parasitic drain and verified the alt is working. His answer is just get used to it. Just seems like a very weak answer. With as many people have had this issue it seems that they should have a solution like a built in plug in port and charger. This is not just some crazy idiot out here having the problem, but a whole bunch of idiots.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Omega Man
Race Director

Location: I speak the truth. Harsh but accurate. The Woodlands Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

My 06Z has sat for 2 months before and I had no problem starting it. This is just another reason why I despise GM And their service. No excuse. None.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:37 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I think you have a battery that is right on the edge of being bad, if I were you I would buy a 1000 amp battery and try it.

I think your battery would be great for a daily driven car but not for a car that has lots of power loss while parked.

Try a 50 buck wally world Maxx life battery and sell your old one or give it away, don't waste your money on hi tech float chargers when you can buy them for 6 bucks or less at harbor.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:38 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

Has the battery been changed out for a fresh one? Just how long does the car sit idle?

With a good battery, you should be able to leave the car for 3-4 weeks and still have enough of a charge to have it start. If your battery is weak, or if the outside temperature is very cold, less than that.

Many, including myself, have switched over to Optima or other deep discharge batteries and have had very good results. Even with the Optima though, if I expect the car to be idle for more than two weeks I plug in my CTEK battery tender.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:59 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I plug mine in if it sits more then a couple of days 99% of the time.My oem went dead 2 years into ownership.I went and bought an OPTIMA yellow top against my better judgment because it was Sunday and I wanted to drive!! 185 bucks for a friggin battery,ridiculous!!That's a discussion for another day though.Just plug it in and it'll stop going dead!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Mine sat for a month and never had a problem. I didn't want to push my luck so I bought a Battery Tender Plus. If I know I'm not going to be driving it for a couple of weeks I hook her up. I have a 2007. battery still going strong. What's happening to you is not right.
3 times a week should be plenty.

Might be time to take this to a higher level. Good Luck. You know you could try another dealer. Maybe the entire electrical system should be checked. Anything accidently left on should down after 20 minutes.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:02 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

By the way,if your OEM battery is original,have it replaced under warranty.It's covered.See if that helps your issues.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What ever you do, don't buy no stinkin' GM stock.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have heard a lot of talk about this problem on this site. My car sits for extended periods and I have not experieinced this (car only has 5000 miles). My FireBird sat for 6 weeks and needed a charge with a 3 year old battery.

I would be PO'd also. What does GM customer service say about this? Hell, this isn't a Volt that needs to be plugged-in all the time is it? Ultimate solution, vote with your money and buy your next car somewhere else? I try to buy American, but I will only put up with so much.

Get notified of new replies

To Still having DBS and GM saying they won't solve

Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 PM
retaf87
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 06 sits for 3 weeks at a time and starts right up. I did have an issue with battery going dead and found that the passenger seat belt relay was draining the battery. Once replaced, issue resolved.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I've got an '05' that is not a daily driver. Never had a set of jumper cables or a charger/maintainer of any kind on it. The battery is going on six years old. I do drive it at least once a week but usually only on weekends. In the winter it may go a month without being started. Never a problem. Do you have a lemon law issue here?
Old 11-18-2010, 05:48 PM
nowheelie
Racer

Mickey,

I realize the dealer put in a new battery at the beginning of the year, and after many months even that battery isn't holding up. It concerns me that perhaps something in your car killed the new battery so that it's not able to hold a charge now (damaged battery). A good shop should be able to load test the battery for you to determine if it's still viable.

I have an 05 that had battery drain issues. I had to take it to the dealer to get 2 updates that solved the battery drain issue. I hadn't heard that being an issue with the 08's, but if you want the update information let me know I will have to dig around.

Your 10 mile drive several times a week should be enough. As others are saying you should be able to go at least weeks without needing to worry about the battery.

The only "normal" things to verify are: battery quality, electronics add-ons, key location.

Quick Reply: Still having DBS and GM saying they won't solve