C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Grand Sport Vs Cadillac CTS V

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:55 AM
nazab
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Grand Sport Vs Cadillac CTS V

I am considering buying one of these 2 beautiful cars ... the 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe or the Cadillac CTS V ..... I am sure many have the same dilemma and most propably had the chance to test drive both cars .... here where I live , I have no possibility to test drive the Cadillac , but had the chance to test drive the C6.

I need the advice of daily users like us and not magazine road tests interested in extreme differences that we all never reach or use.
Which drives better ? which feels more solid ? more comfortable on bumps and rough roads ? which is more trouble free ?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:56 AM
david2613d
Instructor

vette for sure.. the cts-v is fast.. but it wont bite you like a vette
Old 11-19-2010, 12:07 PM
nazab
8th Gear

Originally Posted by david2613d
vette for sure.. the cts-v is fast.. but it wont bite you like a vette
What do you mean exactly by bite me ? you mean more fun to drive as style ?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:08 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have never found the Corvette to be a winter car. I have recently looked at the CTS V. I am waiting to look at the 2 dr version of the CTS V. It sure would be nice if you would fill in some info on your Profile. As of now we have no idea where you are located at. I have really enjoyed my Corvettes in the Spring, Summers and Fall. The winter is a whole different story...
Old 11-19-2010, 12:08 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nazab
I am considering buying one of these 2 beautiful cars ... the 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe or the Cadillac CTS V ..... I am sure many have the same dilemma and most propably had the chance to test drive both cars .... here where I live , I have no possibility to test drive the Cadillac , but had the chance to test drive the C6.

I need the advice of daily users like us and not magazine road tests interested in extreme differences that we all never reach or use.
Which drives better ? which feels more solid ? more comfortable on bumps and rough roads ? which is more trouble free ?
I don't know how many here have both to be able to speak knowledgeably - there may be few. Cannot imagine that the Vette is more comfortable on bumpy roads but...ttt.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:10 PM
mbzboy
Advanced

I've been having the same thoughts. So stopped by the local Cadillac Dealer on Saturday and drove CTS-V Coupe. They didn't have Sedan in stock. The CTS-V Coupe is fast, very fast, so is the GS. But after driving the CTS on the road I determined that it's not for me. Sort of liked the idea of a 4 door car with all that HP, but weight was the deciding factory.

I've had heavy cars in the past Mercedes E55 with Supercharger, blindingly fast for a sedan. In a straight line its buckle up and hold on. Ask it to take a curve at high speed and make sure your hospitalization is paid up. Way to much push in a corner.

Decided I can rent 4 doors when needed, but will have lighter 2 door for daily driver.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:17 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

So, would you describe the CTS V 2 dr as more of a refined HP. And not like the now HP of a Corvette...
Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Moonray13
Instructor

Do a search on this forum. This has been discussed ad nauseum in the past.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:30 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Moonray13
Do a search on this forum. This has been discussed ad nauseum in the past.

Plus , you are on a Corvette forum, most are biased. Ask this on the CTS-V forum and you'll have bias there too. There are some that have/had both cars but not many.

IMO, it depends on what you are going to use the car for, then go based off that.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:45 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I've driven the older CTS-V and it was pretty nice. The ride wasn't really any better then then the one C6 I've driven. The thought of a 556hp 4 door sedan is bad a$$ though plus they look mean and the seats look like they'd really hold you too.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:54 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Living in Central Texas the C6 is a great daily driver
Old 11-19-2010, 12:57 PM
TysonJones
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a 2011 grand sport, love it. Best car I've ever owned in all aspects. I could easily drive this everyday if I wanted to. But i'd like to keep the miles low and save it as my weekend toy/cruiser.

Im now saving for a 2011 or 2012 cts (regular). With the gs, theres no need for another performance vehicle. And I know this because I have 3 other toys in which I rarely drive anymore because the vette is just that much better. Right now Im driving a 1983 trans am to work everyday as my beater. But i've finally opted to get rid of my 2004 cadillac and save up for a newer cts. I'd love to have the v, but I dont need that power for a daily driver. I just want something that looks good, can haul a family, and is practical and comfortable. I'd say wait a year, save 40k and buy a used version of both for roughly the same price of one new Oh and Im getting rid of the old cadi because I just prefer the newer styling and comfort features. Good luck, and keep in mind that a regular cts gets much better mpg than a v, which drinks it.

Last edited by TysonJones; 11-19-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

I like the CTS-V better
Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I wouldn't say I like the CTS better.

However, it has it's place, that's for sure.

If you want a back seat, this is your car.

If you want fast, this is your car.... straight line speed that is... it will pull from the GS/Base Vette.

Straight line speed is most likely what 99% of all owners notice.

On the track, the CTS-V performed at Nurburgring about the same as the Base/GS.

My vette is my toy. I would never consider a CTS-V as a replacement for it. I might consider the CTS-V as my Daily Driver, but not my toy.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raazor

If you want fast, this is your car.... straight line speed that is... it will pull from the GS/Base Vette.

My vette is my toy. I would never consider a CTS-V as a replacement for it. I might consider the CTS-V as my Daily Driver, but not my toy.

Just my $0.02
Well stated. Not much to add.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

The very fact that we are able to compare a Cadillac to a Corvette without busting a gut laughing is a testament to GM.

Instead of nit picking what's WRONG with the CTS-V we should thank our lucky stars we are even having this discussion.

Tom
Old 11-19-2010, 03:21 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Sums it up for me!

Just my $0.02

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Grand Sport Vs Cadillac CTS V

Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

The V turned a 7:58 at the ring....same as the LS2 w/Z51 Corvette did a few years ago. I'd guess the LS3 car(either GS or not) would shave a few seconds off that.

But the V will pull away from an LS3 Corvette in a straight line,don't ask how I know.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:26 PM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are comparing a sports car and a sedan here. If you need a 4 seater then go with the CTS-V but overal performance the GS is a hands down winner. The CTS-V may pull the GS in a drag race but it won't blow you off the road that badly. The GS is a firmer ride but I like that when I hit the twisties. The ride doesn't rattle your teeth like some people try to claim. A base Corvette has more of a cushy ride and won't take the turns a well as the CTS-V but the GS is a totally different animal than the base Vette. I would buy my wife a CTS-V so I had something fun to drive when the family goes somewhere. I love driving my 09 Z51 Vert and you would have to pry my dead cold hands from the wheel to switch it out for the CTS-V!

Kent
Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 PM
nazab
8th Gear

Clearly said and understood the advantages and disadvantages of a sports car and a powerful sedan. Regarding the build quality ( rattles and squeaks ) , how happy are you with the C6 Corvettes ? I know by fact that in the convertibles you do hear rattles and squeaks from the roof . How about the coupe , does it hold well together or the CTS V is much more refined by far ?

Quick Reply: C6 Grand Sport Vs Cadillac CTS V