C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery/ Battery Charger Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Battery/ Battery Charger Question

My old Sears "Automatic 'Sensor" Battery Charger" has a switch to select Conventional or Maintenance Free battery type.
The manual says ""Maintenance free batteries require higher voltage to effect full charge."

Really?

FWIW, I've been using it for 25 years, no problems.
It goes into a "maintainer" mode when the battery is fully charged- charge drops to 0 for a while until battery bleeds off, then it goes back to low charge rate for a short time.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:16 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Don't know the answer but no reason to change what has worked for you!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:24 PM
mack morrow jr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maintenance free and deep cycle marine type batteries do require more power to charge which is why you usually have different settings for the different type batteries you charge. Regardless of whether you have the various settings even a manual setting will charge but take a longer time. I have a Harley motorcycle 1.25 mv plugged up to the Vette right now. I usually use my 10 AMP to bring it up to full charge which takes about an hour. The 1.5mv would take about 6-8 hours to do the same thing.

Last edited by mack morrow jr; 11-21-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:29 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I really don't know but it's possible a 25 year old charger is not up the current battery technology. My large charger has switches for 6v -12v-regular automatic - deep cycle automatic - 2amp -15amp - 150amp. For years I used it as a trickle charger but lost confidence in it and now use a Battery Tender.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:40 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mack morrow jr
Maintenance free and deep cycle marine type batteries do require more power to charge which is why you usually have different settings for the different type batteries you charge. Regardless of whether you have the various settings even a manual setting will charge but take a longer time. I have a Harley motorcycle 1.25 mv plugged up to the Vette right now. I usually use my 10 AMP to bring it up to full charge which takes about an hour. The 1.5mv would take about 6-8 hours to do the same thing.
I understand what you are saying, but I have always been under the impression that, given the choice its better to charge the battery at a slow rate as opposed to a FAST charge... I "Think" charging for 6 hr at 1.25 is preferred to 1 hr at 10...

I could be wrong...I'll try to research it or maybe someone here knows off the top of his head...
Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Are you using it to charge a dead battery or maintain a charge?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think I'd upgrade to a more modern charger such as Ctek or Deltran, which have very sophisticated electronic anti sulphation circuitry. Batteries seem to last forever on these. I use a Ctek 3300 on just about everything. Has the higher voltage setting for Optima style batteries and lower current motorcycle setting for small batteries. Have other older charger's, but the 3300's truely connect and forget. Actually have two of them.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by RedVette84
Are you using it to charge a dead battery or maintain a charge?
All of our cars, including the Corvette, get driven enough that I've never used any kind of tender and always gotten good life from the battery. I use the charger only to top-off the battery if I've been doing work on the car that tends to run it down.

I started the thread only to learn more about the batteries, no issues with the charger.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:22 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I also have an old Sears charger. Sounds like it's similar to yours. I only use the 2 amp setting and it shuts off when charged and starts again when necessary. Since I only drive six miles a day (three to work and five hours later three home) I put it on for a few hours on the weekend. Never had an issue with my 2005 battery. I'm on my second one now, Optima Red Top.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:54 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
All of our cars, including the Corvette, get driven enough that I've never used any kind of tender and always gotten good life from the battery. I use the charger only to top-off the battery if I've been doing work on the car that tends to run it down.

I started the thread only to learn more about the batteries, no issues with the charger.
I'm not real sure about this, BUT someone here, or on another forum, indicated the no maintenance batteries require a special charge (higher voltage?) for a specified time to assist in removing sulfating on the plates, that occurs more on the "sealed" battery (no place for the "gassing" to go).

Could be wrong, however.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:59 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by jpee
I understand what you are saying, but I have always been under the impression that, given the choice its better to charge the battery at a slow rate as opposed to a FAST charge... I "Think" charging for 6 hr at 1.25 is preferred to 1 hr at 10...

I could be wrong...I'll try to research it or maybe someone here knows off the top of his head...
I agree w. this, John. BUT, as you say, it could be old methodology not meant for today's batts. Trouble is, today's batts. aren't all that different.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by RnLi
I'm not real sure about this, BUT someone here, or on another forum, indicated the no maintenance batteries require a special charge (higher voltage?) for a specified time to assist in removing sulfating on the plates, that occurs more on the "sealed" battery (no place for the "gassing" to go).

Could be wrong, however.
That would go along with the quote from my charger instructions.

But there must be some way for pressure to equalize, otherwise the battery could explode or leak when you go up in the mountains.

Someone else claimed the only difference with a maintenance free battery was that the level of electrolyte was higher, so the inevitable loss over time would not uncover the tops of the plates. Beginning to sound like that may not be true.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:18 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Well, I can't answer a lot about that. I've never really checked.

I know GM has a lot of batteries mounted in areas of no ventalation....under back seats, in trunks and "hatches". And these batteries, for the most part, have some type of vent tube on them....at least on the OEM's and a few replacement aftermarkets...that exit under the vehicle.

Last edited by RnLi; 11-22-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery/ Battery Charger Question

Quick Reply: Battery/ Battery Charger Question