C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage Question (Tire Pressure)

Old 12-22-2010, 10:27 AM
John Ell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage Question (Tire Pressure)

For those of use that have to store our corvettes for the winter, what tire pressure are you using for winter storage? I am using 40 PSI. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 AM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aired your tires in the summer you will need to put some air in them for winter for sure. You will loose about 1 lb for every 10*F drop in temp. Using nitrogen will cause less air loss and reduce the moisture in the tire.

I put mine away with 38 psi sitting on soft pads. I live in Michigan. In the summer when the car comes out of hibernation I readjust the pressure to suit the season.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

I inflate mine to 35lbs for Winter storage.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

What ever the pressure was when I parked it for the winter is where it stays. Since it's not moving anywhere it's really not an issue..

If you're thinking about flat spotting tires that sit for months at a time, that's not an issue with radial tires.... Flat spotting tires is a thing of the past from the old bias-ply days.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM
snowsnyper
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default flat spot

Great info thanks, I was wondering the same thing. I also heard that the nitrogen was folk lore...is that true? dosent really matter much to me I guess since I cant get any for my tires. LOL
Jim
Old 12-22-2010, 01:31 PM
traindude
Race Director

Inflated my tires to 35 psi for winter storage.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
If you're thinking about flat spotting tires that sit for months at a time, that's not an issue with radial tires.... Flat spotting tires is a thing of the past from the old bias-ply days.
Hi Glenn. I have to disagree with you. Radials do flat spot. Working at a dealership, I see it quite often. Especially cars that sit on the lot unsold for quite a while. It usually doesn't happen just over a few months, but it does happen.

My C4 sat for over a year and has flat-spotted the tires. I have to drive 10-15 minutes on the highway before it stops vibrating.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:36 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
What ever the pressure was when I parked it for the winter is where it stays. Since it's not moving anywhere it's really not an issue..

Old 12-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Marc V.
Hi Glenn. I have to disagree with you. Radials do flat spot. Working at a dealership, I see it quite often. Especially cars that sit on the lot unsold for quite a while. It usually doesn't happen just over a few months, but it does happen.

My C4 sat for over a year and has flat-spotted the tires. I have to drive 10-15 minutes on the highway before it stops vibrating.
They MAY flat spot very very slightly as they ARE rubber, BUT about 3 revolutions and they are perfectly round again. Radials tire DO NOT flat spot like bias-plys used to.

WILL NOT HAPPEN...

When a bias ply tire would flat spot, it was done (flat-spotted) forever.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Again, I have to respectfully disagree with you Glenn.

I've been at my dealership for over 21 years. I'm in the business and see it every so often. It's a myth that radials can't flat spot. I have replaced many sets of tires for flat spotting concerns. It can be temporary but some do need to be replaced. I have a Hunter Road Force balancer at my shop, and some tires can be quite severe.

My C4 has flat spotted tires from sitting. It does go away after driving, but is a major annoyance.

For what's it's worth, this is a link to TireRack's website tech section. I would consider them tire experts, since they do their own in house testing. And they are not talking about bias ply, they don't even make them anymore.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=42&

A quote from that link:

The longer tires remain stationary, the better they remember the position in which they were last parked. Tires on vehicles stored on the ground for many months can be permanently flatspotted.

Last edited by Marc V.; 12-22-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:13 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by traindude
Inflated my tires to 35 psi for winter storage.
Agreed....set mine to 35 psi as well. Mine sits in a heated garage....lowest temp it sees is 52 deg F.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,243 Likes on 704 Posts

I've been at my dealership for over 21 years. I'm in the business and see it every so often. It's a myth that radials can't flat spot. I have replaced many sets of tires for flat spotting concerns. It can be temporary but some do need to be replaced. I have a Hunter Road Force balancer at my shop, and some tires can be quite severe.

My C4 has flat spotted tires from sitting. It does go away after driving, but is a major annoyance.

For what's it's worth, this is a link to TireRack's website tech section. I would consider them tire experts, since they do their own in house testing. And they are not talking about bias ply, they don't even make them anymore.

A quote from that link:

The longer tires remain stationary, the better they remember the position in which they were last parked. Tires on vehicles stored on the ground for many months can be permanently flatspotted.

Well, you scared me into the cold garage to fire up the air compressor and add a little air to my stored Vettes tires.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:40 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

A quote from that link:

Good, intelligent response.

I hate guys that just say, YOUR WRONG.

I like your logic and will stick with that, thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I normally bump mine up to about 40PSI.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

For me (no, I don't store my DD C6) it would depend on whether or not I put it up on blocks to let the suspension relieve or not. I say that not knowing if a C6 is appropriate to leave the suspension hanging unloaded (some cars aren't).
Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
Good, intelligent response.

I hate guys that just say, YOUR WRONG.

I like your logic and will stick with that, thanks
I know Glenn personally and will not disrespect him if I disagree.

You don't have to put it up on blocks for the winter, just add a few extra PSI.

I didn't mean to scare anyone, just stating facts.

Tires usually won't flat spot over just a few months. If it's sitting for closer to 6 months or more, well then...........

Last edited by Marc V.; 12-22-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Storage Question (Tire Pressure)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter Storage Question (Tire Pressure)