C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Grandsport 'vert - 16 days of ownership = 3 problems

Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 PM
JackIT
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2011 Grandsport 'vert - 16 days of ownership = 3 problems

I bought my '11 GrandSport convertible on December 6th from Boardwalk Chevy. The purchase experience was great, Tim was awesome, picked me up from the train station, hooked me up with a few discounts and the final price was great. Really smooth transaction.

and then it kind of well down hill.... As we drove to the gas station for my free fill up, we noticed chatter and a bit of a shudder at low speed turns of more than 45 degrees. We chalked it up to brand new sticky Gen2 tires and slightly wet ground. We got back to the dealership and went through the standard walk through of the car before I headed home.

Just before driving home, the tire pressure sensor for the front right wheel dropped to 0 and the service tire pressure warning came on. I had Tim check the tire pressure with a gauge and it read fine. No biggie, we figured the sensor needed to be replaced or recalibrate. It was late and I needed to get home, so off I went.

For the next two weeks the chatter / shuddering continues whenever making tight turns. It's really bad pulling into parking spaces and into my garage. After 700 miles, the tires should have broken in and it definitely doesn't feel right, differential? I had planned on bringing it in to the dealer next week.

Well, as luck would have it, Wednesday I'm on my way to the mall to do last minute Christmas shopping and right after I fire up the car I get a new warning in the DIC. Service Ride Control - Speed Limited to 158mph. (it has the F55 option)

I call up Boardwalk Chevy, and they said they can get me in the next day. So I drop off the car yesterday, they gave me rental right away.

A few hours later, they called said they recalibrated the TPS sensor, and said that the ECS module was faulty causing the ride control error message. They ordered the ECS module which will take a week to get. The shuddering while turning issue they wanted to have another manager look at it the next day.

Well I just go the call from the dealer, the chatter / shuddering is considered NORMAL due to the wide sticky Gen2 tires. I don't know if I buy that.. I'd like to compare my issue to another GrandSport and see if it is indeed normal.

Anyhow, just had to vent.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:30 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

Bummer.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:31 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JackIT
I bought my '11 GrandSport convertible on December 6th from Boardwalk Chevy. The purchase experience was great, Tim was awesome, picked me up from the train station, hooked me up with a few discounts and the final price was great. Really smooth transaction.

and then it kind of well down hill.... As we drove to the gas station for my free fill up, we noticed chatter and a bit of a shudder at low speed turns of more than 45 degrees. We chalked it up to brand new sticky Gen2 tires and slightly wet ground. We got back to the dealership and went through the standard walk through of the car before I headed home.

Just before driving home, the tire pressure sensor for the front right wheel dropped to 0 and the service tire pressure warning came on. I had Tim check the tire pressure with a gauge and it read fine. No biggie, we figured the sensor needed to be replaced or recalibrate. It was late and I needed to get home, so off I went.

For the next two weeks the chatter / shuddering continues whenever making tight turns. It's really bad pulling into parking spaces and into my garage. After 700 miles, the tires should have broken in and it definitely doesn't feel right, differential? I had planned on bringing it in to the dealer next week.

Well, as luck would have it, Wednesday I'm on my way to the mall to do last minute Christmas shopping and right after I fire up the car I get a new warning in the DIC. Service Ride Control - Speed Limited to 158mph. (it has the F55 option)

I call up Boardwalk Chevy, and they said they can get me in the next day. So I drop off the car yesterday, they gave me rental right away.

A few hours later, they called said they recalibrated the TPS sensor, and said that the ECS module was faulty causing the ride control error message. They ordered the ECS module which will take a week to get. The shuddering while turning issue they wanted to have another manager look at it the next day.

Well I just go the call from the dealer, the chatter / shuddering is considered NORMAL due to the wide sticky Gen2 tires. I don't know if I buy that.. I'd like to compare my issue to another GrandSport and see if it is indeed normal.

Anyhow, just had to vent.
That is true, especially on slow tight turns.

Just check here on the forum and you will find many inquires about this.

This is because of the width of the tires, the stickiness, and the turning radius. Just physics.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Pimpedc6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Z-51 2009 c6 and my dad has the 2009 base c6. They both have a "shuttering" only at speeds under 10mph and the wheel turned all of the way one way or the other. If it is something more than that You may have a problem.

Sorry to hear about your other problems. Only problem I had was when my airbag sensor light came on when i was engaged in spirited driving.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Is it possible for you to do a test drive with a new GS with the GEN1 tires so you have a reference point? MY 09 Z06 has the GEN1 tires and it dosen't have the problem, that I have noticed. I never noticed that problem with my C5 on GY RF's or when I replaced them with Michelin A/S ZP's. I had a 1983 Z28 back in 1983 and it had the shutter, etc on tight turns with the Goodyear tires(215/65-15). At less then 100 miles I replaced the tires with a higher perfomance GY tire(230/60-15) and it helped some, but didn't get rid of it completely. I could change the alignment and switch the shutter from one front wheel to the other, so I assumed it was in the design of the front suspension and steering on the Z28.

Someone else on this forum was complaining of this problem also with their GEN2 tires. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the thread design.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:42 PM
mack morrow jr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember guys. The HIGHER the PERFORMANCE, the more quips and quirts you will have. Just called paying the performance physics guru. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Joegovette
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE

This is because of the width of the tires, the stickiness, and the turning radius. Just physics.
My old 2005 vert had the shutter with the goodyears and the Kumho non run flats that I had on it. My new 2010 GS coupe has the shutter as well. It may even be a bit worse since the tires are even bigger than my vert.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:06 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Tire chatter is NORMAL and been part of the Corvette experience for a very long time.

The other issues are bugs that can be solved and should pose no long term driveability issues once fixed.

Tom
Old 12-24-2010, 02:08 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

My 2008 base (Z51) chatters if I crank the wheel while turning
Old 12-24-2010, 02:08 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

No way around the fact that it plain old sucks when you buy a new dream car and have problems from day 1. Hopefully the rest of your time with your awesome Vette will be more joy than rant.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:09 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE

The GS has wider tires than the base C6 and the tires are sticky 'summer performance' type. My base C6 with A/S tires does this as well. It's normal.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Monterey C6
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

When sweeping through a long curve at 95 mph you will feel the tires stick like glue and the G forces pulliing on you. There will be no chatter but you will have a large smile on your face. I know this to be true. Enjoy
Old 12-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm betting the build date was a Friday afternoon right before a holiday weekend. (What you're describing is not "normal". 3500 miles on my GS and no issues.)

Last edited by Luster; 12-24-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

When you gEt some miles on it, replace the tires with mIchelins and you will be enjoying a better ridE.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:32 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I noticed the same thing...It happens when I go slow and make a turn...Such as parking. I realized it was just the way the car rode with these big tires and huge turn radius. Your good.

Props to boardwalk chevy for great service!!!! My chevy dealer wouldn't even answer the if that happened to me lol.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:43 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,424 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Don't let it get you down.

Sucks you had a couple early issues, which most don't, but it'll all get sorted out.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:45 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with the wide GS tires - it's even more pronounced on a rough macadam. Like when I'm turning in my street after pulling out of the garage.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Grandsport 'vert - 16 days of ownership = 3 problems

Old 12-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Don't let it get you down. I'm sure they will resolve your issues and all will turn out well. Congrats and Enjoy. Happy Holidays
Old 12-24-2010, 04:09 PM
spearce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here pulling out of my driveway and getting turned around in my cul de sac. My dealer told me it was the wider GS tires.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:18 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I have no clue how shuttering while turning could be normal? My Z does not do this, nor has any other C6 I have driven.

Might want to take out another GS with your dealer and compare.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Grandsport 'vert - 16 days of ownership = 3 problems