C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best tires for Dallas, tx weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Cstark
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best tires for Dallas, tx weather

What are the best tires for Dallas, tx weather Daily driver
Old 01-03-2011, 03:52 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Can't say I claim to know the best, but I can tell you what I'm using. Michelin AS2 run flats. I choose these mainly because they have longer tread life than the "summer tires". It is qualified as an "All Season" tire. I'm real happy with them.

I guess the first question you need to ask yourself, is do you want to use a run-flat or a non-run flat. Then ask yourself what is most important, max traction or tread life. Like all things, it's a trade off. You trade some grip for tread life. My car is also a daily driver, so tread life was a concern for me.

I'm a long time Michelin fan. There are other good tires out there for less money, but Michelin have always seem to be a bit higher quality than other brands, so they are always the ones I look at first.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Fiss
Racer

This is TX. Any tires will be good year around.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
98blackonblack
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have only good things to say about my Firestone Firehawks, I put on last year. I made the switch after loosing traction with the stock goodyears in the rain all the time, haven't slipped once with the firehawks, also if you buy from a firestone dealer get their road hazzard plan its a lot cheaper then discount tire and they have a policy of not fixing a flat on RunFlats they replace it, I've had two of mine replaced already thanks to texas roads, no questions asked and only cost me the $25 for the warranty on the new tire. I've also drove home and to the firestone the next day on 0 psi and you couldn't tell I had a flat at all....so if price is a concern IMO you get more then what you pay for with the FireHawks, plus the tread is an aggressive look...
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

I live in the desert in So. CA and just put these on and am really
impressed.

Copied from The Tire Rack

Link http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....andard%20Model

ContinentalExtremeContact DWS(Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Click thumbnails to view above. Most approximate photos shown View Full Screen Photo.
2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Coupe Standard Model

* Front: 245/40ZR18
Serv. Desc: 93Y Load Index 93 = 1433lbs (650kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186mph (300kph)
UTQG: Treadwear: 540
Traction: A
Temperature: A540 A A
* Price: $151.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: 01/19/11
* Qty:
* Includes Manufacturer's Road Hazard Warranty

* Rear: 285/35ZR19
Serv. Desc: 99Y Load Index 99 = 1709lbs (775kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Y” = 186mph (300kph)
UTQG: Treadwear: 540
Traction: A
Temperature: A540 A A
* Price: $225.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock
* Qty:
* Includes Manufacturer's Road Hazard Warranty

Set of 4: $752.00
Add To Cart Shipping Quote Add to Wish List

* Important Notes
* Product Description
* Other Sizes & Pricing
* Specs
* Surveys
* Reviews
* Tests
* Warranty

Important Notes:

Lea en español

Read this page in English

The ExtremeContact DWS (DWS for Dry, Wet & Snow) is Continental's Ultra High Performance All-Season radial developed for drivers of sports cars, sports coupes, performance sedans and sport trucks. The ExtremeContact DWS is designed to satisfy their year-round driving needs by blending dry and wet road performance with light snow and slush traction.

ExtremeContact DWS features an advanced silica-based, high-grip, all-season tread compound molded into a unique asymmetrical tread design with stable shoulder blocks and a continuous, notched intermediate rib on the outboard side to enhance responsiveness and cornering stability. The center of the tread features independent blocks separated by high-angle, criss-cross grooves to provide the biting edges necessary to deliver wet road and light snow traction while independent inboard shoulder blocks help disperse water to further enhance hydroplaning resistance and foul weather traction.

The ExtremeContact DWS features Tuned Performance Indicators — visible letters molded into the second rib from the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's performance levels. A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has sufficient tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and light snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has sufficient tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only.

The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wound jointless nylon cap plies to provide long-term integrity under high-speed conditions while reducing weight and helping to provide more uniform ride quality.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:50 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

keep in mind that tires wear faster in your area than most areas of the country, the reason is the south west uses a lot of sea shells for filler in the asphalt..... believe it or not, your tires wear faster after a rain storm than when the roadway is dry. Thats because blowing dust and sand fill up the tiny crevices in the roadway and smooth out the sharp edges of the fillers. Just some info... We verified this finding during UTQG testing on the San Angelo Loop.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:18 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I can tell you what NOT to use!.. Trash the OEM's. Junk.

On 2 previous C5's I ran GY F! GS-D3's and was convinced there was not a better tire for grip, especially in the rain or on wet concrete. For some reason, GY is discontinuing them except for the RunFlat's at a pricey $2300 for a set of 4.

Next choice is Toyo T1R's. Non runflat's < than a G for a set of 4.

We are lulled for the majority of the year with warm to hot conditions which is fantastic for grip... But, when it gets cool, like cloudy and in the 40's or below....apply a good dose of respect for the ponies your car puts out and use caution. They get slippery really quick, with little warning in an accellerating turn. OUCH - Have newfound respect for this aspect of OEM's.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I like the firestone firehawk wide oval rft for my DD in The Woodlands Texas.

Get notified of new replies

To what is the best tires for Dallas, tx weather

Quick Reply: what is the best tires for Dallas, tx weather