C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onstar Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Default Onstar Problem

Does the dealer have to do something in hardware to activate the blue button on OnStar ? I pressed the blue button and nothing happens so I pressed the emergency button and got Onstar. They could not connect to my car to diagnose the problem but apparently the phone works since they could talk to me. The red light on the right side of my mirror is on steady. Does anyone know what it means ? I hate to make another trip to the dealer if its something simple.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 PM
09 GMX245
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The red LED indicates a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) in the VCIM or Onstar module and also it does not have a backup battery.
The DTC will need to be retrieved with a tech 2, unless you know somebody who has one, you'll need to visit your local GM dealership

Last edited by 09 GMX245; 01-06-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 GMX245
The red LED indicates a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) in the VCIM or Onstar module and also it does not have a backup battery.
The DTC will need to be retrieved with a tech 2, unless you know somebody who has one, you'll need to visit your local GM dealership
I guess my question is does a dealer have to do something with OnStar during PDI to make it function ? Does a cable have to be hooked up or something. The selling dealer was not the dealer that did the PDI so I think they will not know what to do. Is there a fuse that could be blown or something ?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:01 PM
09 GMX245
Instructor

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I guess my question is does a dealer have to do something with OnStar during PDI to make it function ? Does a cable have to be hooked up or something. The selling dealer was not the dealer that did the PDI so I think they will not know what to do. Is there a fuse that could be blown or something ?
If it's under warranty, visit any dealership and it will be fixed.

During the PDI, the LED just needs to be confirmed it's green and if not, it should have been corrected at that time.

If the fuse was blown, there would be no LED illuminated.

Also you indicated the Onstar button does nothing as in doesn't mute the radio or respond, if that is the case, you have a B1001 dtc in the VCIM, take it to the dealership, it's a easy fix.

Last edited by 09 GMX245; 01-06-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 AM
tlm2010gsc
Instructor

I installed a new head unit Kenwood dnx9960 along with a new amp and speakers in a 2010 which had the bose system. everything works fine except my on-star button when pushed the dash says" connecting", it mutes the and then it hits a time out and cancels. NO sound. A audio guys told me that the on-star has to has a separate speaker to work through the Bose amp? ???? SOmething doesn't sound right. The kenwood unit mutes but I get no real connection which tells me something is wrong maybe with the communication module not speakers. I used a Pac-audio connector swi-jck for steering controls. Anyone heard of this problem when changing out a head unit and all speakers and amp?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

When you installed the aftermarket unit, there went the warranty.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 AM
tlm2010gsc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry/car
When you installed the aftermarket unit, there went the warranty.
The issue is finding the solution is the issue not whose paying for it at this point. I know otehr guys have doen this switch out which is why I asked the question. This can't be a 1st
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

About 6 weeks ago I replaced my factory radio (non-Bose with OnStar and XM) with a Kenwood DNX6960 Nav/Audio unit. I used a PAC OS-2C Non Bose Interface and a Axxees ASWC (Metra) Steering Wheel Controls Interface. My OnStar works just like it did with the fractory radio. However, my car had the standard radio and non-Bose amp and speakers. I retained the factory Delco amp and speakers - all I changed was the radio.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

same problem in one of my new vettes. the on star light was red instead of green. the pos dealership in phoenix did a lousy pre check on the car. i found several other things and had those taken care of while i was picking the car up but the on star, they tried to b.s. me about it but bottom line is there is a problem in the on star unit.

I have not had mine fixed yet and have not missed it either.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM
ub2slow2

Dealer tried to set up my onstar on my brand new Vette at delivery and nothing happened when you hit the button. Emergency button worked but that's it. He tried to troubleshoot it with the advisor while I was there but nothing. He said I would probably need a new mirror as the button was faulty. I didn't have time to wait around and I won't be using it anyway so I left and will take it to a nearby dealer before I put it away next winter and have them replace the mirror so it will work.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 432 Likes on 303 Posts

Same problem with a 2010 GS. Charged the battery after sitting for a few months. Pressed the OnStar button to sign up for the drawing. No connection. Emergency button worked, blue button did not. They said it needs servicing.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:04 PM
tlm2010gsc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Keppler
Same problem with a 2010 GS. Charged the battery after sitting for a few months. Pressed the OnStar button to sign up for the drawing. No connection. Emergency button worked, blue button did not. They said it needs servicing.

do your buttons light up???? I understood from reading that if you loose main battery power the back-up battery on the on-star side kicks in. but once that main battery is back to power teh on-star battery because it has completely discharged and does not recharge needs to be replace. I was thinking just yesterday that I may very well have the same problem with all the battery disconnects I've gone through doing all this work
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 432 Likes on 303 Posts

I get the red light. It was blinking when I was talking to the emergency center. Strange the emergency button worked but not the blue OnStar button.

Did not know that the OnStar system has its own backup battery.

Do not know if the failure had anything to do with the dead battery but I will be ordering a Ctek charger for next winter.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 PM
09 GMX245
Instructor

No back up battery (BUB) used on the Corvette.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 AM
tlm2010gsc
Instructor

No back up battery (BUB) used on the Corvette.
Can't recall where I read it. I will say the Y-Car service manual in section 8-95 says there is (If equiped) but does not say which model or option this applies too.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,972 Likes on 1,031 Posts

If it's under warranty, visit any dealership and it will be fixed.

During the PDI, the LED just needs to be confirmed it's green and if not, it should have been corrected at that time.

If the fuse was blown, there would be no LED illuminated.

Also you indicated the Onstar button does nothing as in doesn't mute the radio or respond, if that is the case, you have a B1001 dtc in the VCIM, take it to the dealership, it's a easy fix.
I know this an old thread, but it has my relevant information. My Onstar button does nothing as above, LED is red, and Onstar told me it was the B1001 code, and to take it to the dealer to re-initialize/setup.
Dealer said they ran through testing procedures and are replacing the BCM. Seems extreme as this is the only thing wrong. Any more input into the fix for B1001?
Old 06-23-2012, 04:58 PM
09 GMX245
Instructor

If the B1001 is in the VCIM, only a VCIM setup needs to be performed. Hopefully your vehicle is under warranty as it seems they may be doing more than is required. Technically the B1001 in the VCIM should never appear, unless the VCIM was replaced and the setup procedure was missed when programming the new module.
If they correct the concern and it is under warranty, then it's all good.

VCIM=Onstar module

Get notified of new replies

To Onstar Problem

Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,972 Likes on 1,031 Posts

If the B1001 is in the VCIM, only a VCIM setup needs to be performed. Hopefully your vehicle is under warranty as it seems they may be doing more than is required. Technically the B1001 in the VCIM should never appear, unless the VCIM was replaced and the setup procedure was missed when programming the new module.

VCIM=Onstar module
Thanks. 60 days out of factory warranty, but plenty within GMPP, so I'm not paying. I acutally haven't even paid attention to Onstar for a while, have no idea how long it wasn't working.

You are right, if they fix it, I guess I don't car how.

Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tlm2010gsc
I installed a new head unit Kenwood dnx9960 along with a new amp and speakers in a 2010 which had the bose system. everything works fine except my on-star button when pushed the dash says" connecting", it mutes the and then it hits a time out and cancels. NO sound. A audio guys told me that the on-star has to has a separate speaker to work through the Bose amp? ???? SOmething doesn't sound right. The kenwood unit mutes but I get no real connection which tells me something is wrong maybe with the communication module not speakers. I used a Pac-audio connector swi-jck for steering controls. Anyone heard of this problem when changing out a head unit and all speakers and amp?
Same problem I had after installing a Pioneer systrm. Turned out that the idiot installer disconnected the factory XM box above the left rear wheel well. OnStar uses the factory XM box.

Just a thought...
Old 07-12-2014, 07:04 PM
FrankenPC
Advanced

VCIM=Onstar module
I've got a Tech 2 and I have the same red light problem. Can I use the Tech 2 to fix this? Or is it a dealer only problem?

Quick Reply: Onstar Problem