C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Onstar Retrofitting announced at CES

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 AM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Aftermarket Onstar Retrofitting announced at CES

I dont know if this has been posted, but if so please delete. Btw, I didnt know our Vettes had their own phone number with Onstar.

OnStar's aftermarket mirror offers emergency services and turn-by-turn navigation.

(Credit: OnStar)

Vote for this product to win the People's Voice Award.
LAS VEGAS--Today OnStar announced it would make its services available in non-GM cars through an aftermarket rearview mirror replacement. The mirror frame features the blue OnStar button, along with buttons for emergency response and hands-free phone calling, similar to its appearance in GM vehicles.

The bulky replacement mirror combines a GPS chip, accelerometer, Bluetooth hardware, and a cellular chip to connect with OnStar services and operators. OnStar uses Verizon for its voice and data connections.

OnStar used a fleet of non-GM vehicles to test its mirror.

The mirror uses its accelerometer to determine if a crash has occurred, which triggers OnStar's emergency collision response. An OnStar operator will attempt to contact the vehicle occupants and call emergency responders as needed, using the GPS signal to determine the car's location. The GPS also enables OnStar's stolen vehicle location service.

Similar to OnStar in GM vehicles, the aftermarket mirror provides turn-by-turn navigation from an OnStar operator. The device pairs with Bluetooth cell phones allowing hands-free calling. Users can also get a prepaid calling plan through OnStar, and use the mirror as a phone.

This aftermarket OnStar implementation suffers from a few limitations. It does not connect to a car's OBD-II port, so cannot offer remote door unlock or engine start. OnStar is also not offering an associated smartphone app, as it is with the Chevrolet Volt.

OnStar has tested the mirror in a wide variety of non-GM vehicles, and says it is compatible with cars from Ford, Lincoln, Toyota, Nissan, Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, and Honda.

The mirror is expected to be available in early Summer at Best Buy. OnStar recommends a professional installation. The unit will cost $299, with the cheapest service plan at $18.95 per month.

Last edited by SilverScorp; 01-08-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:10 AM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 562 Likes on 322 Posts

Interesting. This confirms that NEW features such as Bluetooth could be retrofitted to an older OnStar equipped vehicle. GM and Onstar just don't want us to do that.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:00 AM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
I dont know if this has been posted, but if so please delete. Btw, I didnt know our Vettes had their own phone number with Onstar.

OnStar's aftermarket mirror offers emergency services and turn-by-turn navigation.

LAS VEGAS--Today OnStar announced it would make its services available in non-GM cars through an aftermarket rearview mirror replacement. The mirror frame features the blue OnStar button, along with buttons for emergency response and hands-free phone calling, similar to its appearance in GM vehicles.

The bulky replacement mirror combines a GPS chip, accelerometer, Bluetooth hardware, and a cellular chip to connect with OnStar services and operators. OnStar uses Verizon for its voice and data connections.

The mirror uses its accelerometer to determine if a crash has occurred, which triggers OnStar's emergency collision response. An OnStar operator will attempt to contact the vehicle occupants and call emergency responders as needed, using the GPS signal to determine the car's location. The GPS also enables OnStar's stolen vehicle location service.

Similar to OnStar in GM vehicles, the aftermarket mirror provides turn-by-turn navigation from an OnStar operator. The device pairs with Bluetooth cell phones allowing hands-free calling. Users can also get a prepaid calling plan through OnStar, and use the mirror as a phone.

This aftermarket OnStar implementation suffers from a few limitations. It does not connect to a car's OBD-II port, so cannot offer remote door unlock or engine start. OnStar is also not offering an associated smartphone app, as it is with the Chevrolet Volt.

OnStar has tested the mirror in a wide variety of non-GM vehicles, and says it is compatible with cars from Ford, Lincoln, Toyota, Nissan, Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, and Honda.

The mirror is expected to be available in early Summer at Best Buy. OnStar recommends a professional installation. The unit will cost $299, with the cheapest service plan at $18.95 per month.

They can do all of that but can't offer Onstar's mylink to corvette owners!!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 AM
cylon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverScorp

Interestting but Onstar is a useless service, like the high priced cell phones on airplanes, useless to most.

What would be interesting is to get aftermarket Microsoft Sync in cars other than Ford's that is cool. Actually talks are underway now with other manufacturers.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 AM
sgac6
Advanced

Originally Posted by cylon
Interestting but Onstar is a useless service, like the high priced cell phones on airplanes, useless to most.

What would be interesting is to get aftermarket Microsoft Sync in cars other than Ford's that is cool. Actually talks are underway now with other manufacturers.
I agree
Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 AM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by cylon

Old 01-09-2011, 10:33 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

That's the 3rd announcment in a week.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Full Metal Jacket
Pro

thought it was a useless gimmick also until I was hit involved in a head on collision last year in my Suburban on an iced over snowing road when the moron on theother side lost control and came into my lane at 50mph

..5 seconds later, " Mr Robledo, This is onstar, we have emergency services on the way. Are you ok? Is there anyone we can call for you? etc etc

Oh yeah, my blackberry i had in my car charging and plugged in went flying and the charger went with it. I couldnt find it and i was to sore to get out and look under the seats or floor board...

Then, my wife was on a trip with my kids on her way to see her parents. My disabeleed daughter had a siezure and her phone didnt work in the stretch of road leading to her mom's house.. She pressed the EMERGENNCY button and they got the local fire dept on the way and on the phone. They stayed on the line and dispatched an EMT..

So yeah I thought that ONSTAR was a waste of money but knowing its there and knowing that if you loose your cell phone you can always push that button and dial home is a priceless insurance policy for me...

just my 2 cents.. I will probably add it to my vette and to my wifes Entourage minivan. I still have my Suburban and you can bet I have it activated..

Last edited by Full Metal Jacket; 01-09-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: post
Old 01-09-2011, 12:09 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

www.costartech.com has a BlueStar module that plugs in place of the OnStar VCIM and allows full control of your cell phone via the buttons on the mirror using BlueTooth and uses your cell phone minutes. It also disables the OnStar nannies and works through the existing mic and audio system, and is a total plug and play solution.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:37 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Since everyone has a cell phone...

Since a Garmin or TomTom is 99 bucks...

Since 99.99% of accidents are around others who can call for help with maybe 0.01% being single car "off road hitting a tree and getting knocked out" wrecks...

What do it get for my $250 per year?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Skimball
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fred H.
www.costartech.com has a BlueStar module that plugs in place of the OnStar VCIM and allows full control of your cell phone via the buttons on the mirror using BlueTooth and uses your cell phone minutes. It also disables the OnStar nannies and works through the existing mic and audio system, and is a total plug and play solution.
Does anyone here have this unit and any feedback on it?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:23 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Skimball
Does anyone here have this unit and any feedback on it?
Yes, I have one in my car and I'm real happy with it. It lets me do voice dialing and works without any problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Onstar Retrofitting announced at CES

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Onstar Retrofitting announced at CES