C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Ramps for oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 PM
g-townmach
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Ramps for oil changes

Well my new Grand Sport is the lowest car I've had and I always change my own oil. So I'm looking for the best way to do the job b/c I know the C6 jacking positions can be somewhat of a hassle (I'm used to just jacking up in the center of K-member on other vehicles).

I've heard good things about Race Ramps but have never tried a set out. So those of you that have them please advise.

These are what I'm looking at: http://www.raceramps.com/2-piece-67-...ace-ramps.aspx
Old 01-18-2011, 09:13 PM
rchbn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g-townmach
Well my new Grand Sport is the lowest car I've had and I always change my own oil. So I'm looking for the best way to do the job b/c I know the C6 jacking positions can be somewhat of a hassle (I'm used to just jacking up in the center of K-member on other vehicles).

I've heard good things about Race Ramps but have never tried a set out. So those of you that have them please advise.

These are what I'm looking at: http://www.raceramps.com/2-piece-67-...ace-ramps.aspx
I think race ramps are great but for the price of them your better off having your oil changed as it would take years to get your money back from RR's in my humble opinion.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Those are the ones I have, I love them but it's a lot cheaper to jack up the drivers side, pull the drain plug and take of the filter and drop the car back down, let it drain and then jack it back up and put the plug back in and nw filter on. I have done it both ways and it takes about the same amount of time.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 PM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bit the bullet and bought mine. I don't trust anyone to change my oil on any of my three cars so it's worth it to me to make it easy.

The ramps are light weight, two piece and they are easy to drive up on. My 2010 GS works just fine and I have the piece of mind that they didn't start the engine without oil and they didn't strip the oil pan plug out.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Those are the ones I have, I love them but it's a lot cheaper to jack up the drivers side, pull the drain plug and take of the filter and drop the car back down, let it drain and then jack it back up and put the plug back in and nw filter on. I have done it both ways and it takes about the same amount of time.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I've enjoyed having mine for a good long time now, which reminds me . . . it's time again.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rchbn
I think race ramps are great but for the price of them your better off having your oil changed as it would take years to get your money back from RR's in my humble opinion.

Good luck.
The time I save not having to go to a dealer who will put the cousin no one else will hire on oil changes who will crack rocker panels, cross thread the drain plug, not replace the filter and under-fill the oil makes it worth the 30 min to do it myself
Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GotVett?
I've enjoyed having mine for a good long time now, which reminds me . . . it's time again.
Sweet setup and Z51 GotVett!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
Sweet setup and Z51 GotVett!
Thank you, my friend!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I'd rather pay someone but I have been screwed too many times. I love it when the boys at the Quick-Change shop run the drain plug back on with a friggin impact wrench and/or leave the filter loose, or leave oil dripping off the frame or side of the engine. Dummies!

They won't have the opportunity to frigg up my Vette!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:41 PM
g-townmach
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Like said, I don't trust anyone to change my oil so I have never paid for a change. The $$ spent on the race ramps is not a concern.

GotVette, is there enough room to do an oil change without jacking up the rear?? I just want to be able to drive up the ramps, change it, and drive off.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

. . . . GotVett? (corrected it for you), is there enough room to do an oil change without jacking up the rear?? I just want to be able to drive up the ramps, change it, and drive off.
Yes, it is for me. I have the 2-piece (break away behind the wheels) and still can get through under the front.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

That's how mine looked when I changed my oil. Love the Race Ramps
Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by Snake.Oiler
That's how mine looked when I changed my oil. Love the Race Ramps
I prefer it to be level for draining and filling.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 AM
tloon
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by turbod
Bit the bullet and bought mine. I don't trust anyone to change my oil on any of my three cars so it's worth it to me to make it easy.

The ramps are light weight, two piece and they are easy to drive up on. My 2010 GS works just fine and I have the piece of mind that they didn't start the engine without oil and they didn't strip the oil pan plug out.
I have a GS also. The Race Ramp site has the yardstick test to see if your car will go up on the ramp. According to that it said I needed the extensions to go with the longer 2 piece ramps. Is that not the case?
Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
That's the way I do it. You can reach everything without really getting under the car.

...GotVette, is there enough room to do an oil change without jacking up the rear?? ...
Yes, because you only need a couple of inches to get your shoulder under. If you use ramps you need to find a way to get the car level again or you won't get all the old oil out. You might want to try it without ramps first to see if you really need them. If you decide you need them and price is no object then Race Ramps are the way to go.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Thank you, my friend!
If Phil can change his oil without any disasters then my Bernese Mountain dog also can....

Get notified of new replies

To Race Ramps for oil changes

Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by cthusker
If Phil can change his oil without any disasters then my Bernese Mountain dog also can....

You got that right Craig. I think I've graduated to "mechanic apprentice" by now though. ha ha ha ha

Good looking pup!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 AM
vettenut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KY Events Coordinator

Default Race Ramps

The 67" 2 piece is the way to go. I got them and wonder why I waited so long to get them.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Originally Posted by tloon
I have a GS also. The Race Ramp site has the yardstick test to see if your car will go up on the ramp. According to that it said I needed the extensions to go with the longer 2 piece ramps. Is that not the case?
Thanks
Yes, that is what I did for my GS. Clears everything with the extensions. Rollup onto the ramps is so smooth, you don't even know you're going up ramps at all.

Quick Reply: Race Ramps for oil changes