C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Thru Car Wash, your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Thru Car Wash, your thoughts?

I'm pretty sure I have an idea how most of your opinions are going to go, but I'm going to ask the question anyway. I realize that some of us are more particular and passionate about their vettes then others. Some of us drive them on a daily basis though and don't have the luxury of a second car. I for example fall under that category and also live in an apartment complex where their is no place to wash your car. It sucks because like many of you I take pride and actually enjoy washing my Corvette.

With that said, outside of paying someone to hand wash it, or going to a friends who has a hose where I can wash it myself, what are your thoughts on the "drive thru" car washes? I'm not talking about the no touch cheap one's at the gas station. I'm referring to the Car Wash companies. I actually emailed the one close to me as I've used them several times before when I had an SUV, or to wash my girlfriends SUV. Below was his response to my concerns about the tunnel and ground clearance. He said he washes Corvettes ALL the time. I actually kind of believe him because like I said I've seen some pretty nice cars there.

"Yes all of the washes and details you see go thru the car wash first, the car wash is a 100 foot state of the art computer controlled tunnel with the latest in car wash equipment and chemicals and is very safe, we wash everything from Rolls Royce to Ford Tauruses in there and wash about 220,000 cars annually between the 3 washes. "

I have seen some pretty nice cars while here before. I'm curioius what the opinion is of my fellow Corvette brothers and these Car Wash Businesses? Do any of you wash your car through them? Do you think it will harm the car? If I keep enough wax and sealent on it, will it be ok to run through every now and then?

I just bought the car 2 weeks ago, so it was professionally detailed at the dealership. It looked brand new when I picked it up. I'm sure it has several coats of wax on it at the moment. It's black if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to reading everyone's opinion on the topic.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM
TysonJones
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say on black go for it. The less you physically touch the paint on black the better. Just keep enough wax on there annually to keep it protected.

That said, I've never been thru a car wash in my life with any car of mine.

Last edited by TysonJones; 01-27-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:36 PM
spinalator
Drifting

NEVER Hand washed only, Weekly. Spray waxed after every wash.... Stripped and 3 step detail every 6 months.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 PM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd never run the C6 thru any car wash.
The brushes or "cloth" they use tend to leave marks. You do not know what kind of car wash liquid they use. Rims get scratched.

Look for a self car wash where you can do it yourself, bring your own supplies, and buy the water with a fistful of quarters.
The following users liked this post:
paulrichy (04-16-2017)
Old 01-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Originally Posted by spinalator
NEVER Hand washed only, Weekly. Spray waxed after every wash.... Stripped and 3 step detail every 6 months.
What kind of spray wax do you use? I tried one once, and it just didn't look nice and glossy like I was expecting.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Originally Posted by BostonJoel
I'd never run the C6 thru any car wash.
The brushes or "cloth" they use tend to leave marks. You do not know what kind of car wash liquid they use. Rims get scratched.

Look for a self car wash where you can do it yourself, bring your own supplies, and buy the water with a fistful of quarters.
That's not a bad idea either...
Old 01-27-2011, 05:43 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd worry more about the tires in the tracks then the paint. I was told by the owner of a car wash that some tires are to wide to go through.

I used to go to my local car wash first thing in the morning when few other people were there and hand wash my car. I would bring my own bucket, soap, and wash mitt then only use their pressure washer.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

If it is a no touch and you are sure it can handle the wide tires and low car then sure.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:46 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

a lot of automatic car washes use a mild acid to clean the car and this will attack the material in your composite springs. if you don't believe me have your dealer pull up the warning on his GM website. it has caused the springs to fail.
#PIC5335: Composite Transverse Spring Damage - (Mar 4, 2010)

Subject:Composite Transverse Spring Damage

Models:1997-2011 Chevrolet Corvette
2004-2009 Cadillac XLR

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="#ss1-2411840">Condition/Concern:

Front and or rear composite springs cracked and or broken on the same vehicle with no "obvious" reason for the repeat occurrence.
<A href="#ss2-2411840">Recommendation/Instructions:

It is important that the Transverse Spring Replacement Procedure is being closely followed and the related special tools: J33432-A & J42188 are being used. Refer to the appropriate Service Information document(s) to confirm the correct service procedure(s) are being followed when servicing this spring.
If the damage is not installation induced, chemical corrosion could be the cause. Engineering has found that two chemicals, Phosphoric acid and Hydrofluoric acid, are attacking the fiberglass/composite spring material. The acids are often found in engine compartment cleaners, wheel cleaners, and underbody cleaners. They are also used by many Touchless Car Washes as part of a buffered cleaning solution. If the concentration is not correct, vehicle damage can result.
Corvette Owners Manuals contain information such as "NOTICE: If you use acidic or corrosive cleaning products, engine degreasers or aluminum cleaning agents on fiberglass springs, you may damage the springs."
Bulletin 00-08-48-005 addresses the harmful effects of Hydrofluoric Acid as it relates to vehicle glass & how to determine if a vehicle has suffered excessive / repeated exposure. Such exposure can also have a negative effect on the fiberglass springs.
This info is to supply the dealer with information to be used by the dealer to counsel the customer.
This IS NOT to make any recommendation on whether or not to replace a spring under warranty or goodwill. The GM Fixed Operation Manager should be consulted by the dealer with regard to this area.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Last edited by PAmotorman; 01-27-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Icebear
Pro

Run away little monkey, run far away.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:53 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonJoel
That would be my recommendation in your situation. In the old days we called them "quarter car washes" because it took a quarter for 5 minutes of fairly high pressure water. Now I think it's probably a dollar and a quarter. Take your own bucket, wheel and tire brushes, towels, etc. and do it like you would do it at home.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Default C6 wash

Originally Posted by spinalator
Good info but I'd like a follow up question or two if i can. When you say "spray waxed after every wash" do you mean something such as Meguires Ultimate Detailer or Quick Wax? I do this every time I wash instead of chamois and it seems to work but if there is a better way.......?
Also, what do you use when you "strip and 3 step detail every 6 months?" I guess I mean what do you strip it with and just exactly what is a 3 step detail entail?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

We Don't
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

I am very particular about my car. However, when the situation is drastic and I need a quick wash I only go to a self car wash to get the worst off. AND, rather than stay there and dry (if I don't have MF towels), I head to the nearest freeway to blow the water off.

You don't have the luxury of at home detailing so I would take my tools with me and find a good self wash. I've never even thought about going through one of those conveyor belt washes with the vette. I didn't think that would be a good thing.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:29 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I do it. Never had a problem.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:31 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
a lot of automatic car washes use a mild acid to clean the car and this will attack the material in your composite springs. if you don't believe me have your dealer pull up the warning on his GM website. it has caused the springs to fail.
#PIC5335: Composite Transverse Spring Damage - (Mar 4, 2010)

Subject:Composite Transverse Spring Damage
Models:1997-2011 Chevrolet Corvette
2004-2009 Cadillac XLR

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="#ss1-2411840">Condition/Concern:

Front and or rear composite springs cracked and or broken on the same vehicle with no "obvious" reason for the repeat occurrence.
<A href="#ss2-2411840">Recommendation/Instructions:

It is important that the Transverse Spring Replacement Procedure is being closely followed and the related special tools: J33432-A & J42188 are being used. Refer to the appropriate Service Information document(s) to confirm the correct service procedure(s) are being followed when servicing this spring.
If the damage is not installation induced, chemical corrosion could be the cause. Engineering has found that two chemicals, Phosphoric acid and Hydrofluoric acid, are attacking the fiberglass/composite spring material. The acids are often found in engine compartment cleaners, wheel cleaners, and underbody cleaners. They are also used by many Touchless Car Washes as part of a buffered cleaning solution. If the concentration is not correct, vehicle damage can result.
Corvette Owners Manuals contain information such as "NOTICE: If you use acidic or corrosive cleaning products, engine degreasers or aluminum cleaning agents on fiberglass springs, you may damage the springs."
Bulletin 00-08-48-005 addresses the harmful effects of Hydrofluoric Acid as it relates to vehicle glass & how to determine if a vehicle has suffered excessive / repeated exposure. Such exposure can also have a negative effect on the fiberglass springs.
This info is to supply the dealer with information to be used by the dealer to counsel the customer.
This IS NOT to make any recommendation on whether or not to replace a spring under warranty or goodwill. The GM Fixed Operation Manager should be consulted by the dealer with regard to this area.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
Wow, very interesting. This came out in March of 2010 and it is the first time I've seen it here on the Forum. One of the main rules of product engineering is that every part should perform it's intended function regardless of exposure to every condition to which the part might reasonably be expected to be exposed, especially parts which if they fail may cause serious consequences. Brushless car washes, wheel cleaners, engine cleaners and underbody cleaners are certainly things that should have been considered before using fiberglass springs. Now we find out fourteen years after their introduction that these springs can be damaged by these commonly used products. This is sheer engineering incompetance and negligence on the part of General Motors. It would be very interesting to know what corrective steps have been taken by GM to (1) inform owners of 1997 through 2011 Corvettes of this potential failure mode, (2) revise the 2011 Corvette owners manual to warn owners of the possible detrimental effects of such chemicals on the springs, (3) coating or encapsulating the springs on current production vehicles to prevent such chemical attack, such as coating them with an epoxy paint.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

No!

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To Drive Thru Car Wash, your thoughts?

Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

A true touchless will work fine.

No "conveyor belt" but a drive thru on flat concrete with no touch spray arms that travel over and around the car. At many gas stations, $5.00 usual with 8 or more gallons of gas for a good wash and blow dry. Take towels to get the last of the water off the body and the glass and to touch up the wheels. It's a great fast wash.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

A drive through car wash is good if and only if you want a self taught course in how to remove micro-scratches from your paint.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:38 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I never wash my car with water.

Quick Reply: Drive Thru Car Wash, your thoughts?