C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the algoritm to calculate MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the algoritm to calculate MPG?

By the DIC I'm sure average MPG is the average of instant MPG readings summed together over N samples. How are they calculating instant MPG? What could the algorithm be. It appears the TPS is involved but after resetting the average MPG display it goes down at an idle. No TPS involved at an idle. By the DIC I've seen average MPG get better in 5th gear rather than 6th. Without raising the revs in 6th on an a slight grade I've seen the MPG decrease with out throttle increase.

Any insight?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Velocity (distance/speed) / Rate of realtime fuel consumption calculated via realtime then extrapolated to miles per hour assuming continuous rates. That is why when you let off the gas and decelerate mpg decreases.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by mundo
By the DIC I'm sure average MPG is the average of instant MPG readings summed together over N samples. How are they calculating instant MPG? What could the algorithm be. It appears the TPS is involved but after resetting the average MPG display it goes down at an idle. No TPS involved at an idle. By the DIC I've seen average MPG get better in 5th gear rather than 6th. Without raising the revs in 6th on an a slight grade I've seen the MPG decrease with out throttle increase.

Any insight?
It won't have anything to do with the throttle position. The DIC must get the fuel consumption data from the engine management system, which knows precisely how much gas is going into the engine because, well, that's what it controls.

The instantaneous fuel consumption is proportional to the injector pulse width, fuel pressure and manifold pressure.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrc100
Velocity (distance/speed) / Rate of realtime fuel consumption calculated via realtime then extrapolated to miles per hour assuming continuous rates. That is why when you let off the gas and decelerate mpg decreases.
MPG is Miles PER Gallon = Distance in Miles / Fuel in Gallons.

Velocity is a synonym for speed, which has nothing to do with calculating fuel economy. The reason the instanteous MPG goes up when you let up off the gas is because the engine is using less fuel, not because the car is going slower.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Default Overthinking

The more you press the pedal and the closer to the floor = worse MPG.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Ursoboostd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is the DIC uses the pulse width of the injectors duty cycle and the size of the injectors in an equation.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrill6
MPG is Miles PER Gallon = Distance in Miles / Fuel in Gallons.

Velocity is a synonym for speed, which has nothing to do with calculating fuel economy. The reason the instanteous MPG goes up when you let up off the gas is because the engine is using less fuel, not because the car is going slower.
When you're at idle and the car is slowing your instant mpg will decrease because you are covering less distance per unit of fuel consumed. Try it. I was answering the OP "Without raising the revs in 6th on an a slight grade I've seen the MPG decrease with out throttle increase.". The DIC uses velocity to calculate how much distance will be covered at the current rate of full consumption to calc eventual MPG figures. Likewise if the car is at idle and going downhill it instant mpg increases same fuel consumption but the car continues at the same speed or faster. This is a bit of simplification but essentially how it works.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
coryvte
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a wonder how some people can hold a job, let alone own a vette.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JONS 07
You have far more time to think
about such things than I do

I just have to trust in the DIC, but
would appreciate knowing what
I was trusting.

When you figure it out, please
post the answer or formula.

Thanks,
Jon

You only need the basic math method or the DIC. Unless you are not revealing an ulterior motive
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM
JIMSC62006
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike V.
The more you press the pedal and the closer to the floor = worse MPG.

This was my thinking, too.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 PM
JIMSC62006
Racer

Why are you trying to make this so hard? Reset trip when filling up next time. Drive car for a certain amount of miles. Refuel car. Divide miles driven by gallons used=mpg.

This is not rocket science. It is 4th grade math.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSC62006
Why are you trying to make this so hard? Reset trip when filling up next time. Drive car for a certain amount of miles. Refuel car. Divide miles driven by gallons used=mpg.

This is not rocket science. It is 4th grade math.
RTQ - ATQ (Read the question - answer the question)

You answered a different question than was asked, that's why you are confounded.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:57 AM
1fastbob
Racer

I would use an abacus to calculate fuel mileage. Make sure it is not missing any *****.

Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacus
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ursoboostd
My guess is the DIC uses the pulse width of the injectors duty cycle and the size of the injectors in an equation.

Both are are available in the PCM.

Throttle position won't be accurate in the calculation since the amount of fuel injected at low RPM is less than high RPM at full throttle.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My daily driver is a 2009 Pontiac G5 XFE. I've monitored every drop of fuel put into this thing for the last 30,000 miles. I calculate my own fuel mileage at every fill-up, and then log what the DIC has calculated for the same period. The DIC mileage is consistently within 2.5% of the mpg I calculate. So whatever algorithm GM is using, it's pretty good!

I do notice that the DIC mpg is always slightly more than the actual fuel economy.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 AM
mundo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
My daily driver is a 2009 Pontiac G5 XFE. I've monitored every drop of fuel put into this thing for the last 30,000 miles. I calculate my own fuel mileage at every fill-up, and then log what the DIC has calculated for the same period. The DIC mileage is consistently within 2.5% of the mpg I calculate. So whatever algorithm GM is using, it's pretty good!

I do notice that the DIC mpg is always slightly more than the actual fuel economy.
That was my point. The DIC always shows a better average MPG then the good old calculation of miles / gallons used. If the DIC says 22 mpg the hand calculation will be about 21 mpg. So once again does anyone know the actual algorithm the ECM uses?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Migs08
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=instantaneous+fuel+economy

Get notified of new replies

To What is the algoritm to calculate MPG?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I've noticed the same thing in both my GM vehicles. The computer's milage figures are always better than actual milage. I wonder if that's by design or just as close as they can get the numbers. With all the computer equipment on the car I would think it would know exactly how much fuel was consumed and how far the vehicle had traveled.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2% should be within the margin of error.

Remember...there are a number of things that affect the fuel volume being injected. The PCM has tables for the lbs/minute rating for injectors, voltage offset to correct the fuel rate depending on system voltage and the fuel rate correction depending on the MAP (Manifold absolute pressure). Probably more corrections but you get the point. I am actually surprised its this close.

I wounder if the evap system is part of the calculation?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

We have this same system in our Equinox Sport as well as our C6. I compare them to my estimates with a calculator a lot. I've noticed the Equinox is off by maybe a mile or two per gallon and the Vette always seems to be within a tenth. It's been very close all the time.

Quick Reply: What is the algoritm to calculate MPG?