C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does pulling the NPP fuse cause battery drain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Default Does pulling the NPP fuse cause battery drain?

Was told by a used C6 owner that has M2W switch for his 08 Z06 that pulling the fuse is alright for factory NPP 08 and up models but it does cause battery drain if the fuse is kept out for a few days.Does anyone know if this is true or not because I want to just pull the fuse when I want and not buy the after market M2W switch.Thanks guys Dave.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Was told by a used C6 owner that has M2W switch for his 08 Z06 that pulling the fuse is alright for factory NPP 08 and up models but it does cause battery drain if the fuse is kept out for a few days.Does anyone know if this is true or not because I want to just pull the fuse when I want and not buy the after market M2W switch.Thanks guys Dave.
Hmm, not sure how, I am no electrician but pulling a fuse stops a circuit from being completed, not sure how the battery would drain, but if I am wrong, I am going to find out here in a few minutes.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No.

I've had my NPP fuse pulled for a couple years. (in fact since i have a Borla exhaust the npp fuse has been pulled out permanently) Never had battery drain and the car sits for weeks on end in the winter, still starts right up.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:28 PM
c6coop
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
No.

I've had my NPP fuse pulled for a couple years. (in fact since i have a Borla exhaust the npp fuse has been pulled out permanently) Never had battery drain and the car sits for weeks on end in the winter, still starts right up.
I agree. It is noted in the M2W info that you need to leave the wild setting (open) when the car is not operating or you will draw the battery down. Pulling the fuse opens the exhaust, so there would be no drain.
coop
Old 02-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Constantly pulling and replacing the fuse is gonna wear on the contacts...what is wrong with the M-W switch???????????? Cheap, quick, easy and done.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c6coop
I agree. It is noted in the M2W info that you need to leave the wild setting (open) when the car is not operating or you will draw the battery down. Pulling the fuse opens the exhaust, so there would be no drain.
coop
Thanks c6coop Dave.Just the answer I was looking for.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
Constantly pulling and replacing the fuse is gonna wear on the contacts...what is wrong with the M-W switch???????????? Cheap, quick, easy and done.
Just not sure if I am going to like the fuse pulled all the time so just want to use the pull the fuse method before I put a M2W switch in my COMPLETELY FACTORY STOCK C6 VERT which would be a non factory option!
Old 02-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
Maybe he is going to pull it and leave it pulled saving him money from buying a gimmick switch (IMHO).

**EDIT** or as he just posted while I was typing this, he is going to pull it and put it back in back and forth, back and forth...in this case I completly agree with you.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

There is an installation method for the M2W which has zero battery drain. The only downside is that it reverts to the Wild setting when the car is started.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Racer
Maybe he is going to pull it and leave it pulled saving him money from buying a gimmick switch (IMHO).

**EDIT** or as he just posted while I was typing this, he is going to pull it and put it back in back and forth, back and forth...in this case I completly agree with you.
No racer I will not be doing it back and forth just want to try it out at first to see if I like it pulled or not. I also agree that it sounds like a gimmick switch and would like to stay away from the switch altogether.The question is will I like the fuse sound pulled all the time or not? I guess I will have to wait to the winter is over here in Massachussetts for the answer.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

No racer I will not be doing it back and forth just want to try it out at first to see if I like it pulled or not. I also agree that it sounds like a gimmick switch and would like to stay away from the switch altogether.The question is will I like the fuse sound pulled all the time or not? I guess I will have to wait to the winter is over here in Massachussetts for the answer.
Yea, I bought the switch for my Z06...... after having it open, I ended up never closing it. Some people say it is nice to have it closed for when you leave early in the morning so you don't bother your neighbors..I say...come on, it isn't that loud.... Other say they don't like the sound when they are cruisng on the highway..I say again, it isn't that loud, turn up the radio, also why would you want no sound from a high performance sports car??? If you don't want the sound of horsepower buy a prius.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Only for a while..

It will get tiresome quickly & if you make the mistake of accelerating hard in earshot of LEO, you will get pulled. I can't count how many times it's happened to me. It's no gimmick, it's ingenious! If you put NPPs on a non-original NPP equipped car, the parts & labor to make them work is insane. There's a of a post of someone who actually did, he literally had to remove the tail of the car, it includes a vacuum accumulator, hoses & wiring, & the parts had to be sourced from GM weren't cheap. So for those who've retrofitted to NPPs, it's way cheaper & easier to control them.

Now all that said, it's your car try it out, & remember Ben at SunsetOrange Creations when you decide to get one. You have countless options from his simple on/off which is quite cheap & easy DIY, to using existing buttons on dash, steering wheel, homelink whatever you can think of, he's figured out a way to do it. I can only state my opinion, but having the ability to turn on/off is both very cool, but more importantly in ceratin situations a necessity.

Last edited by Mike V.; 02-12-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:00 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I pulled the fuse for a day or two to test things out then built my own M2W for a lot less.

I picked this up from Mwave for less than $15, walk-in customer as they are local.

Then went to the local Kragen auto parts store and picked this up for about $6.

It was really simple to assemble as I already had a ring connector and modified a spade connector to fit the mini fuse connection in the fuse block.

You crimp the add-a-circuit to the red power lead, crimp the ring connector to the two black ground wires, and crimp a trimmed down spade connector to the white lead. That's it, just install per the M2W instructions for no drain and it was up and running.

I didn't want to tuck the box where they suggested so I simply used some heavy duty velcro and put the box on the plastic under the radio amp (or whatever the box is to the left of the fuse block. I ran the wires behind the fuse block and came out on the right side before plugging them in. Works like a charm and a lot less money spent.

It does start in the "OFF" status but simply pushing the "ON" button quiets things down if that is what you want.

It may cost you a little more if you have to pay shipping but you still save money.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:12 PM
c6coop
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Yea, I bought the switch for my Z06...... after having it open, I ended up never closing it. Some people say it is nice to have it closed for when you leave early in the morning so you don't bother your neighbors..I say...come on, it isn't that loud.... Other say they don't like the sound when they are cruisng on the highway..I say again, it isn't that loud, turn up the radio, also why would you want no sound from a high performance sports car??? If you don't want the sound of horsepower buy a prius.
I agree. I leave mine on W all the time, but it is nice to be able to close it if I ever need to, like getting pulled over for what ever reason, or visiting my inlaws retirement center.
coop
Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

I initially yanked the fuse on mine and thought I would be leaving it open forever but after spending time on the open road I found its nice to be able to go into silent mode.

I put a want ad here on the forum and for a controller and a nice member sold me his unwanted Sunset Orange Creations unit for $30 shipped, infact he let me try it before I even sent him a check!

Being able to control, what ever your method may be, is the only way to go, but I sure wouldnt be using the fuse alone.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 AM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi ARD:

Note the following:

1. The basic Sunset Creations remote control exhaust switch can be installed when you receive it so that when the car is started it will start with the exhaust either normally open or normally closed, that choice being up to you.

2. You can also change your mind about startup operation at any other time by simply moving one wire, which takes less than a minute (really) once you know where the wire is located.

3. Your concern about constantly living with the default racket is valid. While the constant noise is fun when you first install it, for some people it can get old. Moving one wire fixes that and still leaves you only one button push away from noise when you want it; so other than a few buck for the initial outlay, there is really no reason to be concerned about installing one or hassling with pulling fuses.

4. I originally pulled the fuse, as you are suggesting, to see what the noise is like. It never drained the battery.

5. I have operated the Sunset Orange Creations switches for long periods in both normally open and normally closed configurations. Neither position ever drained the battery.

6. Even though the remote may look similar, don't assume that all exhaust controllers are the same. Note that my comments are directed at the product sold by Sunset Orange Creations.

7. If you are looking for a clean installation of the remote, simply velcro it to the left side of the back of the Onstar module on the windshield. It is easy to get to, easy to remove if you sell the car, and you will never notice or lose it.

Hang loose, ARD and enjoy staring at the new ride all winter. The new red looks great.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:19 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Just not sure if I am going to like the fuse pulled all the time so just want to use the pull the fuse method before I put a M2W switch in my COMPLETELY FACTORY STOCK C6 VERT which would be a non factory option!
Pull the factory fuse and its NO longer factory stock...

I had the M-W switch in my C6 Z06. Once opened I never shut the baffles again. But I can see times where you might, thus the nice little switch.

Get notified of new replies

To Does pulling the NPP fuse cause battery drain?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:43 AM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How does pulling a fuse cause battery drain. Its not possible. Electricity can't flow therefore can't run down the battery.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:23 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I understand the OP's concern. There is mention of battery drain in several M2W threads when it's wired in it's simplest installation.

I also understand wanting to just try it out to see what it's all about. I just manually pulled the fuse twice when I first got my GS.

I personally made my own hardwired switch (less than $12 with all parts including switch, wire, connectors, add-a-fuse and fuse tap...no jury rigging in this installation and completely stealth).

With stock NPP exhaust, it's not really that loud. But for me personally, it adds a great aural dimension to the driving experience. It's just really great to hear what the engine is doing without having to look down at the tach. For me the car is just not as much fun to drive when I have my switch turned off.

That being said, my wife turns it off when she drives the car, and I'll sometimes turn if off when a call comes in on the bluetooth or when the A6 decides it wants to be in 6th gear on a long incline (the drone is a bit irritating).

As for attracting LEOs, its not really loud enough in the RPM range it changes the sound of (0-3500). If you have NPP on the car and goose it, the valves will open at 3500 RPM whether you have the switch on or off anyway, so the switch doesn't change anything in that situation.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:37 AM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought the Sunset Orange well over a year ago and tied it to my Visor on my 08 Vert. I have it set to close when I start up my car. Gee, so hard to just reach up and push a button if I want to open it up.

This mod is fun and I get to control it on my NPP's. There are times I don't want the drone while driving. If you can't afford $100 bucks or so then pull the fuse.

Quick Reply: Does pulling the NPP fuse cause battery drain?