C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Service Manual CD on EBAY. Legit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 AM
PhysiPhile
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Service Manual CD on EBAY. Legit?

The auction claims these are the manuals are identical to factory manuals. It would save me $100 and would be more convenient since I could just throw it on my iPad. Has anyone bought this and could tell me if it's legitimate? Here's the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/C5-C6...#ht_614wt_1165
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

"ONLY AVAILABLE FOR A LIMITED TIME"

I would have to assume because they are really just the garbage generic "fix any car" manuals you find for free on the web or else they are real manuals which are illegal to copy. Helm, the only company licensed by GM to produce shop manuals for the Corvette does not make such sets.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:02 AM
PhysiPhile
Instructor

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
"ONLY AVAILABLE FOR A LIMITED TIME"

I would have to assume because they are really just the garbage generic "fix any car" manuals you find for free on the web or else they are real manuals which are illegal to copy. Helm, the only company licensed by GM to produce shop manuals for the Corvette does not make such sets.
I wonder why he hasn't received bad reviews if his description is so misleading.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 AM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I bought one similiar and all it was is a virtual machine that you used to access the material and I found out eventually it didn't really pull up the manuals. Don't do it.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

I don't know about this guy, but I bought the service manuals for my 2005 on ebay from some guy. What mine were was a set of PDF's from the acutal manuals. They are very good and very useful, however, I am sure they are copyrighted material.

My CD's were $16.00 shipped.

I am sure they are "for a limited time" because he wants to be in and out of business before GM sends the IP Lawyers after him.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

i've got the exact one. Is it worth it? To be honest, his description is right on. The virtual manual is OK, but it isn't a printed manual, so the instructions are not to my liking. It has all the C6 material, so it's good that way. Since it's a virtual page, I can't print, or send anything from it, so it's useless that way. The manual uses VMware program to access. It's a free download, but for how long?????
It's like everything...you get what you pay for. By the way, his price has increased by $10.00 since I bought it from him.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 02-16-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Check the feedback from people who have purchased them already, if they like them, good chance you will.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:21 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

I have gotten 2 different manuals on ebay. I am sure both of them are copyright infringed.

The $10 one that says .PDF appears to be screen shots copied to PDF. You can see where there are hyperlinks that obviously can't be clicked on.

I didn't like it because you couldn't search and it did not have any info on DTCs and what to do such as diagnostic flowcharts.

The $20-30 one that uses the virtual machine appears to be the GM dealer service reference not the Helms manual on DVD.
You can choose a multitude of GM cars, not just the vette, so it must be a pretty big database. It came on one DVD.

My disk had to be replaced because it would not load. Seems to provide plenty of info for 17 bucks.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:00 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I got the manual on a CD from Ebay. They were the real thing and I paid quite a bit less then the $30 this guy wants. Only problem is its difficult to find what your looking for since its several large PDFs.

Just looked at some of the files. The z06 engine file alone is 800 pages. It has all the specs then gets into diagnostics with these tables with symptoms then causes and corrections.

Last edited by MARSC6; 02-15-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

What you will likely receive are discs containing PDF pages from the actual service manual. The reason that they will only be available for a limited time because as soon as GM finds the auction they will have it shutdown because he would be selling illegal reproductions of copyrighted material.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
What you will likely receive are discs containing PDF pages from the actual service manual. The reason that they will only be available for a limited time because as soon as GM finds the auction they will have it shutdown because he would be selling illegal reproductions of copyrighted material.
As soon as anybody reports them they will be taken down.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
fmarshall
Racer

There isn't a substitute for a hard copy.

I have purchased other manuals on DVD in PDF format. And the paper version is well worth the $150 from Helms, Inc.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:47 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Check the feedback from people who have purchased them already, if they like them, good chance you will.
So if we look in the dictionary under gullible will we find...

Here's a guy with a 99.7% favorable rating from 6195 buyers and he is selling crap. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Best-...item256133bd0f There are many sellers there who will slam any buyer who doesn't give them a 5 star rating.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 PM
EliteGreg
Instructor

I bought one on ebay. It does contain real information from the GM service manuals however, it's incomplete and may contain info for the wrong model. I have a 2008 and the disc they sent me contains info on the LS2. I got my money back.... I use alldatadyi.com myself. That way I can get info on recalls/TSBs.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 AM
bryan_p
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fmarshall
There isn't a substitute for a hard copy.

I have purchased other manuals on DVD in PDF format. And the paper version is well worth the $150 from Helms, Inc.
It's too bad that GM doesn't produce proper digital manuals. I would pay $150 for a well written DVD over a hard copy any day. I bought a Nissan shop manual for my Maxima and it consists of a number of pdf files with a master index page which is hyperlinked to the appropriate file for each section. There are also lots of hyper-linked cross references embedded in the text which allow you to easily find the information you are looking for. Real nice. Once you find what you want you can print only the page you need to do the work.

B.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:37 AM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Area Z51
I've got the exact one. Is it worth it? To be honest, his description is right on. The virtual manual is OK, but it isn't a printed manual, so the instructions are not to my liking. It has all the C6 material, so it's good that way. Since it's a virtual page, I can't print, or send anything from it, so it's useless that way. The manual uses VMware program to access.
PhysiPhile; I also have nearly the same setup that Area Z51 describes.
Yes, it runs from a virtual machine. Yes it has all the C6 info, and as a test, I also looked up some information on my 2002 Sunfire also.

You can print from my version, whatca do is to convert the page to .pdf, copy the from virtual machine to physical machine, and print as you normally would. Faster to do than to write this description!
Don't worry, VMware isn't going anywhere.

If anyone wants to buy mine, PM me. I'll beat the eBay price, and I'm here to stay on the forums, so my rep matters.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 AM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also bought an eBay version with the VMware thingy, made by Skinnyarch or something. It has loads of GM vehicles including the C5 and 2009 C6. Like in a previous post mentioned you can print the pages you need to a PDF file on the desktop, then drag them to your own computer for printing. Works perfect so far on Windows XP / Vista / 7.

Fred

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Service Manual CD on EBAY. Legit?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:32 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
I don't know about this guy, but I bought the service manuals for my 2005 on ebay from some guy. What mine were was a set of PDF's from the acutal manuals. They are very good and very useful, however, I am sure they are copyrighted material.

My CD's were $16.00 shipped.

I am sure they are "for a limited time" because he wants to be in and out of business before GM sends the IP Lawyers after him.
Same as the one I bought on ebay years ago.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:02 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I can't get to the ebay link @ work but I'm sure it is what I have which is the GM SPO (Service and Parts Operations). It loads Apache which hosts the web page. Its actually quite nice. Key word searchable, the same diagrams and pictures you'd see in a factory service manual, it has virtually all the GM cars on it. It's a bit of a hassle to get set up but once its installed it's great. Well worth the ~$20 they get for them on ebay. If you're a techie you can even change the port it listens on and access it via that interwebz.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Be careful. I bough a CD on E-Bay for an XJ8 that I owned at the time. It was just about blank. It was a total ripoff. I learned from that to only buy the official repair and service manual.

Quick Reply: C6 Service Manual CD on EBAY. Legit?