C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting the C6

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:50 PM
EliteGreg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting the C6

Okay guys, I've read lots of threads about lifting the c6 and pros-and-cons for different methods. Coming up in a April, it will be time for my C6's first oil change and I want to do it in my garage. I want to get the car in the air, level (all 4 tires off the ground). I'm not sure what solution to persue, and what to buy. Currently my only jack and jack stands are in sorry shape and I don't want to have to trust them.

What I'm looking for is to know what are good value lifting options that meet the following parameters:

1) Gets all 4 corners off the ground.
2) Relatively easy to do, and to store the solution (don't want lots of wood planks)
3) Safe (I'll live with 4 jack stands, but would feel more comfortable with a better option)
4) Portable (not planning on staying in my house more than a couple more years).

So far, I've looked into the following:

1) Long reach jack + crossbeam + 4 jack stands. Pros: factory lift points, easy access to wheels, probably cheapest that meets all criteria. Cons: large and heavy (I believe the jacks weigh about 120lbs and are quite long and would require permanent floor space in my garage).

2) Race ramps. 2 piece ramps for front and wheel cribs for the back, plus jack to jack backend up (looking for suggestions on a jack that would work for this, preferrably smaller in size) and jack stands for occasional wheel removal. Pros: Light-weight (can store in overhead storage), very safe when working with the wheels on. Cons: more expensive than jack+stands.

3) Kwik-lift. Pros: pretty much hits the nail on the head. Cons: heavy (but can be parked on), requires jack/stands as well, expensive.

I'm not sure the kwik-lift is an option. It would be a hard sell to my wife (in fact the other two options might be hard). Chocks would be needed for all solutions.

I'm leaning towards raceramps solution mainly because of safety. Though I'm not exactly sure about the procedure for getting the rear end in the air for the 10" wheel cribs or what jack would work for that.

Looking for general feedback or overlooked ideas. Would love to hear about specific parts that work nice (names and hyperlinks would be great too).

Thanks guys!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...fix=race+ramps

BJK
Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Cobotr
Intermediate

I've got a mid-rise lift and love it. I don't want the obstruction of a 2 or 4 poster so with the mid-rise I can lift the vette inside the main garage if needed or move the lift outside the garage to lift the trucks (Denali and Yukon XL). It does raise it so high that you can walk under it, but certainly is better than crawling around on the ground.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Might want to look into the "EZCarLift". I ordered one and I am waiting for it to me delivered. Not going to lie, it is expensive, but sound like something you might be interested in if you can afford it.

WWW.EZCARLIFT.COM

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

If all you are doing is changing oil then do a search on changing oil and see how easy it is. If your arms are average you don't have to lift the car at all. Almost anyone can reach by raising 2 inches or less from the driver side front puck position just enough so you can get your shoulder under. You need a low pan if you don't raise it but Wally-World sells one that works great for just a couple of bucks.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
EliteGreg
Instructor

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
If all you are doing is changing oil then do a search on changing oil and see how easy it is. If your arms are average you don't have to lift the car at all. Almost anyone can reach by raising 2 inches or less from the driver side front puck position just enough so you can get your shoulder under. You need a low pan if you don't raise it but Wally-World sells one that works great for just a couple of bucks.
Yes, but I will do more.... I just have this service coming up. I'm planning on brakes when needed and exhaust work.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 PM
fmarshall
Racer

Originally Posted by Rossi6998
Might want to look into the "EZCarLift". I ordered one and I am waiting for it to me delivered. Not going to lie, it is expensive, but sound like something you might be interested in if you can afford it.

WWW.EZCARLIFT.COM

Good luck.
Me too. And I can't wait!!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a FYI - Here's a diagram of the preferred lifting points on the C6.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

WWW.EZCARLIFT.COM

Good luck.
Update - Got the ezcarlift and love it. Have already used it several times. Very well made and great customer support. The owner actually answers the phone. Appears to be very knowledgeable and seems to stand behind his product.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:43 PM
fmarshall
Racer

Update - Got the ezcarlift and love it. Have already used it several times. Very well made and great customer support. The owner actually answers the phone. Appears to be very knowledgeable and seems to stand behind his product.
I received mine too, and couldn't be happier. I can have my car up off the ground in under 2 minutes.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

WWW.EZCARLIFT.COM

Good luck.
Looking at this one too. Pricey, but does provide versatility especially in a smaller garage.
The following users liked this post:
robertdamiani (10-13-2019)
Old 03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by fmarshall
Me too. And I can't wait!!
I want one I just watched there video on YouTube. Order will be places soon.
The following users liked this post:
robertdamiani (10-13-2019)
Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

This is what I used to do with my C5s when I changed oil, did brake work or set the alignment before I went to the track. Use a 2x4 cut to about 6 inches long or a lift puck at the forward shipping slot and then jack the car as high as you can get it. This will lift both wheels off the ground on that side. Put your first jack stand under the front cradle as far outboard as you can get it. Now lower the jack. This will drop the car onto the jackstand and will lower the rear wheel on that side while simultaneously lifting the front wheel on the other side. Go around to the other side and raise the jack far enough that you can now finish lifting it all the way up and place your second jack stand in the same relative position as you did the first. Lower the car onto the jack stand and you are done with the front. Go to the rear of the car and raise the rear using the center of the rear cradle and place your jackstands at the outboard ends of the rear cradle. You may not be able to get the jack out between the stands but you shouldn't need it any more. It is easy to do from a concept stand point but a PIA from most other stand points so after doing that for 7 years I bought a scissors lift that makes everything a whole lot simpler.

If you are just going to change tires all you have to is jack one side of the car at the front shipping point. Just like NASCAR you can do both wheels at the same time.

Bill
Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bandit1
Looking at this one too. Pricey, but does provide versatility especially in a smaller garage.
IMHO, if you can afford it, it is worth the money. I really like the lift and have used it three times in the past week.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:43 PM
indyblue67
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I also have a Quick jack and like it. I got the SUV/truck stands for it too, lifts the QX4 no problem.

I have only had my GS for two weeks, now getting as much behind-the-wheel time in before first salt hits the roads here. I've worked on a bunch of different cars with teh QJ, but I have never lifted a 'Vette.

My question to the folks that also have the QJ, are you using the regular rectangular rubber blocks in those frame locations or the "special" pucks you can buy that fit the dimples?

I plan to use the winter to do the headlight lenses (umnitza or rlsebring?) and maybe a preventative clutch replacement since I don't know it's history of 33Kmi.

Last edited by indyblue67; 09-29-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:08 AM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Wow, this is an 8 year old thread and I haven't seen any of these guys post for a while......

But to answer your question I use the pucks and the rubber blocks also.

Last edited by SixAddict; 09-30-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:32 AM
leolo2
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a QJ too and use the short blocks AND the pucks. I'm not sure the pucks would be thick enough to prevent the QJ from hitting the body. Honestly don't remember checking though. Will have to this week. In any case, no problems using both over the past couple of years.

Get notified of new replies

To Lifting the C6

Old 09-30-2019, 09:46 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default C6 Lifting

I planned on buying the Quick Jack about three years ago then at the last minute I learned that my my '93 Convertibles cross braces would interfere with use and would have to be removed each time the car was jacked. That took the "quick " out of the Quick Jack. When I contacted the company the rep said the jack "Should" work with the cross brace in place, but he was not sure. I never ordered it.
I now have a C6 Coupe with no cross brace.
I just ordered a Quick Jack 5000 series, it should be here tomorrow.
I have read here and elsewhere that the pucks should be used with the rubber blocks.
Barrier,
With great expectations and hopefully easier car lifting.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:17 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Hopefully, you have low profile pucks. I have some aluminum pucks and those in my C6 coupled with the lowest rubber blocks for the quickjack are still too height to get under the car without first rolling it onto wood or using another jack.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:14 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I use the official Hockey Pucks made in Slovakia. 1" thick
Barrier

Quick Reply: Lifting the C6