C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions - 2008 Z51 to 2011 GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:32 AM
sampaschal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Why do you continue to refer to the 08 as "the Z51"

I am confused a bit...the Z51 option on the your '08 is/was a braking and handling upgrade over the base car. There is no engine difference between a base or a Z51 equipped Corvette. A Z51 equipped car has the same engine as a FE3 equipped Corvette etc. etc. The '08 has the same engine combo as does your 2011 GS with exception of the dry sump. Horsepower is the same in both however the final gear ratio/rear gear is probably different. Rear/front wheel sizes are different, etc...as you know. A Z51...is not a separate car in Corvette terminology as say for instance a Z06 or ZR1 or GS is. The base car is a base car that COULD be equipped with a handling package...the Z51 option.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:33 AM
sampaschal
Pro

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
Wondering why you keep mentioning the Z51 suspension when you refer to the engine??
Old 02-27-2011, 04:33 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I have an '10 ZR1 and wife has an '11 GS Convertible with the manual 6-spd, but not magnetic ride shocks or gen-II supercar tires. For a daily driver, it beats the socks off the ZR1, quieter interior, lighter steering, and the base shocks are way more compliant than the ZR1 in tour mode. In fact, it's very difficult to feel any ride difference between tour and sport mode, but the difference between ZR1 tour and the GS Vert ride is huge.

Both cars are extremely fun in their own way, but I'm scratching my head every time I read these opinions that tour mode is softer than the base model, and sport mode firmer. In my '10 ZR1, the difference is splitting hairs.

The chin splitter on the GS Vert is also actually lower than the carbon fiber splitter on my ZR1, a good thing when the replacement cost is considered, but the whole GS front end is a bit lower, or rather the ZR1 is taller with the supercharger and hood, 20 inch tires.

The ZR1 corners flatter, the handling overall is more racy, less forgiving, feels like a race car whereas with the GS Vert you never forget it's a street machine.

The ZR1 steering is much heavier, owing to the 20 in tires but also I believe the steering gear ratio is faster, someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

The worst aspect about the GS Vert as a daily driver is the low front end, splitter will scrape easily, otherwise it rides as solidly and nearly as quiet as the Lexus IS-F that I traded for the ZR1. The ZR1 is a bit creaky, stiffer and with substantial tire roar, but enormously satisfying for the performance. There's more tactile feedback, the dual disc clutch is vastly better, slightly lighter, more linear, chatter free. That said, the clutch on the GS is nonetheless still very good. The tranny on the ZR1 shifts more smoothly as well, especially when cold. The brakes are good on both cars, the GS feel more linear, the ZR1 bite hard initially, but then take a hard push for harder stops. They won't fade or dust on the ZR1.

They are both great cars. I'm sure the base model is too. I think the GS gets unfairly dissed by a few of the base owners, and I think it comes down to class envy myself. They had their C6's first, and then a GS with a meaner appearance comes out with probably slightly worse fuel mileage and top speed, so they say, "wait for the C7!" I guess they want to be first in line for the next role reversal. Personally I think it's better not to be the first on the new model, and newer engines and desirable updates come along in the mid to late part of the model cycle, just as happened for the C6. Anyone buying one today gets a thoroughly debugged edition, with the best performance goodies and no kinks.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
I have an '10 ZR1 and wife has an '11 GS Convertible with the manual 6-spd, but not magnetic ride shocks or gen-II supercar tires. For a daily driver, it beats the socks off the ZR1, quieter interior, lighter steering, and the base shocks are way more compliant than the ZR1 in tour mode. In fact, it's very difficult to feel any ride difference between tour and sport mode, but the difference between ZR1 tour and the GS Vert ride is huge.

Both cars are extremely fun in their own way, but I'm scratching my head every time I read these opinions that tour mode is softer than the base model, and sport mode firmer. In my '10 ZR1, the difference is splitting hairs.

The chin splitter on the GS Vert is also actually lower than the carbon fiber splitter on my ZR1, a good thing when the replacement cost is considered, but the whole GS front end is a bit lower, or rather the ZR1 is taller with the supercharger and hood, 20 inch tires.The ZR1 corners flatter, the handling overall is more racy, less forgiving, feels like a race car whereas with the GS Vert you never forget it's a street machine.

The ZR1 steering is much heavier, owing to the 20 in tires but also I believe the steering gear ratio is faster, someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.The worst aspect about the GS Vert as a daily driver is the low front end, splitter will scrape easily, otherwise it rides as solidly and nearly as quiet as the Lexus IS-F that I traded for the ZR1. The ZR1 is a bit creaky, stiffer and with substantial tire roar, but enormously satisfying for the performance. There's more tactile feedback, the dual disc clutch is vastly better, slightly lighter, more linear, chatter free. That said, the clutch on the GS is nonetheless still very good. The tranny on the ZR1 shifts more smoothly as well, especially when cold. The brakes are good on both cars, the GS feel more linear, the ZR1 bite hard initially, but then take a hard push for harder stops. They won't fade or dust on the ZR1.

They are both great cars. I'm sure the base model is too. I think the GS gets unfairly dissed by a few of the base owners, and I think it comes down to class envy myself. They had their C6's first, and then a GS with a meaner appearance comes out with probably slightly worse fuel mileage and top speed, so they say, "wait for the C7!" I guess they want to be first in line for the next role reversal. Personally I think it's better not to be the first on the new model, and newer engines and desirable updates come along in the mid to late part of the model cycle, just as happened for the C6. Anyone buying one today gets a thoroughly debugged edition, with the best performance goodies and no kinks.
Only the rears are 20's....fronts are 19's.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Only the rears are 20's....fronts are 19's.
Right, thanks. I believe they are 18's on the GS though.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:38 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,071 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Reciprocal

The chin splitter on the GS Vert is also actually lower than the carbon fiber splitter on my ZR1, a good thing when the replacement cost is considered, but the whole GS front end is a bit lower, or rather the ZR1 is taller with the supercharger and hood, 20 inch tires.

The ZR1 corners flatter, the handling overall is more racy, less forgiving, feels like a race car whereas with the GS Vert you never forget it's a street machine.

The ZR1 steering is much heavier, owing to the 20 in tires but also I believe the steering gear ratio is faster, someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

The worst aspect about the GS Vert as a daily driver is the low front end, splitter will scrape easily, otherwise it rides as solidly and nearly as quiet as the Lexus IS-F that I traded for the ZR1. The ZR1 is a bit creaky, stiffer and with substantial tire roar, but enormously satisfying for the performance. There's more tactile feedback, the dual disc clutch is vastly better, slightly lighter, more linear, chatter free. That said, the clutch on the GS is nonetheless still very good. The tranny on the ZR1 shifts more smoothly as well, especially when cold. The brakes are good on both cars, the GS feel more linear, the ZR1 bite hard initially, but then take a hard push for harder stops. They won't fade or dust on the ZR1.

Thanks for the info and I agree that the cars do get better over their life cycle
Old 02-27-2011, 12:33 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seadawg
Hello again, day 2 update. I was having tons of intermittent electronic probs with my 2008, or I would not have traded. GM (and the dealer) treated me right, so I didn't take a big hit going to the 2011. I "special ordered" it with you the options I wanted, which made me like the 2011 better. It is a daily driver (as was the Z51).

Showed the car to all the neighbors (they were watching for me to come out), talked vette for a couple hours. All the neighborhood kids want a ride. Programmed both fobs, installed my locking lug nuts from the Z51, retorqued all the rims (the lugs were widely varied torque, which surprised me), loaded the single empty storage box (battery is in the right rear on the GS), and hit the road.

It was much "peppier" today in the GS. I noticed that I only got 12.5 average mpg my 1st tank of gas, so I suspect the brakes were dragging slightly. I babied the GS, and would have gotten in the low to mid 20's mpg in the Z51. I now have a more "normal" feeling brake petal too, which to me means it self adjusted some. It easily got to 120 in 6th, to merge into a very fast traveling pack on the interstate. The oil temp hit 178 during the punch, then went to the mid 160's, and stayed there the rest of the day. I now can't notice any power difference with part throttle "punching", so unless I could go back and forth, I won't be able to compare power. Meaning, to me, they are now both basically the same power (which should be expected).

On the sound, I believe the Z06 style air intake is louder than the Z51 during acceleration. I like it, almost to the point that I may not reinstall my "mild to wild" toggle switch for a while. It will also keep me from being tempted to punch it. The exhaust is staying a lot cleaner so far, my Z51 ran a little rich. The Z51 had more "lope" at idle than the GS has. The GS has more "growl" at cruising and when I accelerate. The Z51 was too quiet, I would forget to downshift sometimes. But others would not notice, and I probably wouldn't either, if both were not daily drivers.

The CG color is growing on me, as did the AO. I grew to love the AO. Both hide dust fairly well, I think it is because of the metal flake masking it. I would have bought another AO if they still made it, but no regrets for the CG choice. I liked the supersonic blue and white, but really all vette colors are nice to me.

The GS does well on the "turn right at the red light" accelerations. I had to feather the throttle with the Z51, or the torque management would try to help. I have not felt any tire slippage with the GS yet, and I've halfway tried a few times. It just launches, and I know people still sitting at the lights are in disbelief that I'm at the speed limit before they even leave the light. In the Z51, I could do the same thing, but the tires would spin doing it.

The GS is smoother during tight radius slow turns than the Z51. I changed rear lubes twice in the Z51, and it would still chatter sometimes in "lock to lock" turning. The front tires would sometimes push in the Z51, and that has not happened yet with the GS. Time will tell on this one.

And I now like the "normal" GS stereo better than the stereo that was in the Z51 with the nav. It plays all CDs that I have, and I always had to burn them 2 or 3 times to get ones to work with the Z51. The sound is practically the same as the Bose too, for my ""gun shooting as a kid" ears. When you turn it up, no buzzing, just louder, with plenty of base and treble, that's noticeable as you change the settings.

The GS stereo XM does not lose signal under the spanish moss trees, maybe the different windshield on the Z51 block some signal from the XM antenna (HUD windshield is different than non-HUD). For whatever reason, I now I have not lost XM signal in the GS, and I occasionally did with the Z51 on the same roads.

I didn't want to wait for a C7, because I personally stay away from the 1st couple model years of any new car. But I had probs with a 2008, so that blows my "wait a few years" theory, huh!

The GS big brakes make just as much dust as the Z51 pads, but the competition gray wheels hide it well if you don't want to clean daily. I had ceramic pads on the Z51, but will keep the factory pads on the GS. The ceramics worked fine (even doing light duty auto crossing with the Z51), but the daily cleaning of dust was the only reason I changed to them on the Z51.

The new GY Gen 2 tires handle well in the rain, but so did the brand new GY Gen 1 on the Z51. Time will tell, but so far I really like the Gen 2 tires.

I like the F55 suspension too. I've played with it more than anything in the car. You can tell a difference between ride firmness.

Bugs splatter on the rear fenders (just an observation, not a problem), and I was going to put a wide body kit on the Z51 eventually. I will be buying some kind of front fender flaps for the GS. I had the 4 tire set (from GM) on the Z51, and they did keep the sides of the car cleaner.

My new tires need re-balancing on the GS, so I'm gonna have them also do a "street front end" alignment when I take it back for the balancing. I want max life from the GY Gen 2 tires, and ultra fast cornering is secondary to me.

I'm also signing up next week to go to the Las Vegas driving school. Sometime in the fall. It will be nice to push a car that is not mine. Might change the front end alignment back after the school.

That's it for now.
The Michelin ZP A/S tires were your traction problem on your old coupe.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by sampaschal
I am confused a bit...the Z51 option on the your '08 is/was a braking and handling upgrade over the base car. There is no engine difference between a base or a Z51 equipped Corvette. A Z51 equipped car has the same engine as a FE3 equipped Corvette etc. etc. The '08 has the same engine combo as does your 2011 GS with exception of the dry sump. Horsepower is the same in both however the final gear ratio/rear gear is probably different. Rear/front wheel sizes are different, etc...as you know. A Z51...is not a separate car in Corvette terminology as say for instance a Z06 or ZR1 or GS is. The base car is a base car that COULD be equipped with a handling package...the Z51 option.
They have the same gears!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM
gibear2k5
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sampaschal
Don't forget about the the oil, power steering, and transmission coolers.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 PM
omc707
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 07 Z51 and do admit it was pretty sketchy on uneven pavement ecpecially in turns. But I switched to non-runflats (Kuhmo ECSTA SPT) and swapped out the shocks with some Bilstein Sports. I have to say it really changed the handling for the better. I love it now. I still have an issue with traction thoough, but I think the A&A kit is to blame, lol!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy

I tend to agree.
I still have the OEM GY's, and they grip like crazy.....still decent at 13K miles.
Although, they're getting noisy & ride like crap.

With the OP's statements about spinning the tires on launch, I'm starting to rethink my future plans of buying the A/S Michelins.
Tires seem to be my biggest dilemna right now.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 PM
sampaschal
Pro

Thanks...hardly minor issues..but Horsepower is same...base to Z51...
Old 02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
kev1n
Drifting

OP - have you tried the launch control yet? I'd love to hear your review of off the line performence of it.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Here's my final post - day 3 update

Not meaning to offend any one with the Z51 reference, or any other comments. Just too lazy to type 2008 C6 all the time. GS and Z51 is easy for comparison. And my opinions will be different than many of you reading this.

For reference, my experience was that the Michelin A/S PS ZP tires gripped MUCH BETTER than when I had 16k miles on the Goodyear supercar F1 tires that came stock on the Z51. I liked the GYs until they got over 12k on them, then they scared me on cool and wet roads. Florida has a lot of rain during the summer, so for me the A/S worked out well. So well that I will buy them for the GS if they come out with them for the Z06/GS tire sizes. And the trans gears are the same for the GS and the Z51 package that I had. Both cars easily take off from a redlight in 2nd if you are lazy, and both will easily do the 1st - 3rd - 5th upshift if you want to avoid the 1 - 4 lockout.

Now back to "day 3". I put another couple hundred miles on the car, and got about 20 mpg average. Mostly city and some highway driving. I really feel that I had some "brake drag" initially on the GS. The power is now truly comparable between the two in my opinion, as everyone would suspect, and fuel economy is comparable for around town driving. I can't tell any difference in seat of pants feel, up to 140 in 4th performance either.

I travel a really bumpy road home, and I can tell the difference between tour and sport settings in the GS. My butt and back says that GS tour setting is smoother than the Z51 suspension ride. I like the GS ride better, but not enough to buy a GS just for the ride difference.

I also noticed that the GS air dam does not "drag" on my driveway entrance, and the Z51 did. I thought the GS would be the same ground clearance under the nose, but apparently not.

I popped the NPP fuse and drove with the wide open exhaust, and it is practically the same sound between the 2 cars. As you would expect.

I romped the GS in a curve in 1st, and I could break the GY Gen2's loose if I tried. And they would spin grabbing 2nd. And 3rd. A little more work needed to play (over the Z51), but you can still have fun spinning with the GS if you try.

I took the roof piece off, and it seems to have less wind noise in the car at 70 - 80 mph in the GS than the Z51. Does not make sense to me, but there was no wind hammer or stuff blowing around in the GS, and it would happen in the Z51.

Anyway, hope this is helpful, and if anyone wants a ride and lives near me, PM and I'll get up with you.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
I would have to say the OP is right in regards to the Z51 and the widebody is sweet, it makes as nice read for us lowly Z51 owners Kidding and I am jealous <g>

I have the Pilot Sport ZP tires on my 08 and it is a squirrely drive when you are on the revs but much better then the stock EMT Supercar GY. I think the bigger tires lay a better footprint and would grip better even if they are Goodyear tires
Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seadawg
My new tires need re-balancing on the GS, so I'm gonna have them also do a "street front end" alignment when I take it back for the balancing. I want max life from the GY Gen 2 tires, and ultra fast cornering is secondary to me.
Very smart, I wish I had done that when my C6 was new.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Z51LS3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gibear2k5
Don't forget about the the oil, power steering, and transmission coolers.
…AND the transmission is different too! (1st, 2nd, & 3rd are a shorter ratio).

Get notified of new replies

To First Impressions - 2008 Z51 to 2011 GS

Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I hope that Locojack doesn't read your review. His head will explode.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

just want to say congrats on the new ride/
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is well over a year old.....lol

Quick Reply: First Impressions - 2008 Z51 to 2011 GS