C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with C6 battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Al1969
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with C6 battery

Hi,
This is my first post and have a battery question. I continue to have a battery problem with my 2005 C6. I don't have the ability to plug a battery tender but since I don't drive the car in bad weather. i make it a point of starting it at least once a week. My problem is last friday I had to get a jump start(vehicle wouldn't start) and drove the vehicle to the dealership for them to check out the battery. I was told the battery was "re-charged" and just make sure I start it at least once every two weeks. However, yesterday(Saturday) I went to start the vehicle and nothing happened!. The car has an Ac delco battery which was replaced about a year ago. Any recommendations on a replacement battery? I've seen some members recommend Optima batteries. If I go with an optima battery, what model? Any other suggestions on how often to start the vehicle? I parked it in the parking lot underneath my building with a car cover on. Thank you in advance for any responses/suggestions.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Just starting the car and letting it run any amount of time at all does not recharge the battery. The C6 takes a lot of energy from the battery to start it. It must be driven 20-30 minutes at 2000 rpm or better to recoup that energy.

You've got to drive it, not just start it.

Others here will have to help you with the which battery question.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd suggest if you can't drive the car or plug a battery tender in you get a new battery and take it to your home and keep it on a tender there and return it to the car when you can drive it, not just let it idle for a short period of time.

George
Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Al1969
Intermediate

Thanks for your response JIMTN,
It's just difficult for me to drive it as I live in the Northeast. So when there's snow on the ground the best I can do it's just start it and let it run for about 30 minutes.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Al1969
Intermediate

Originally Posted by George's_Vette
I'd suggest if you can't drive the car or plug a battery tender in you get a new battery and take it to your home and keep it on a tender there and return it to the car when you can drive it, not just let it idle for a short period of time.

George
Thanks George. But I live in a condo. so the parking is located underneath the building. any suggestions on which battery is best? should I go with an optima?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:00 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

If you have the MN6 you should have the dealer check to see if it's had the DBS (dead battery syndrome) flash. It was a problem for some 05 owners. If this is the first time you have had he problem DBS is probably not the problem.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Al1969
Thanks for your response JIMTN,
It's just difficult for me to drive it as I live in the Northeast. So when there's snow on the ground the best I can do it's just start it and let it run for about 30 minutes.
Based on what others here who cannot drive their car during the winter have said, there's really no point in starting it at all during the winter. Wait for more responses or look for more threads on the subject.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I Rarely Ever use a tender and you said you can't.

I just disconnect the negative cable if one isn't going to be driven for a while, just make sure your key works so you can get back in!

Some people like Optima bats., i am not one of them. Original Delco for me.

Bob
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
You've got to drive it, not just start it.

For DD I have a Optima Red Top (group 25, part #9025-160). Great, reliable and fast starting - however it's heavy (31.7lbs.) There's a utility at the web site to locate the battery for your specific car.

For the track I use a light weight (6.6 oz) Braille Carbon Fiber racing battery.

Oh, and welcome to Corvette Forum Al1969

Last edited by keyplyr; 02-28-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by George's_Vette

George

Any battery is subject to failure after prolonged periods of non-use. IMO the Optima battery is a fine battery but its not worth the premium. An older man I know (and trust) works at an auto parts store where they sell various batteries including Optima. He said, based on all the batteries he sees returned daily the Optima just isn't worth the money. It's not going to give you an extended service life commensurate with the increased cost. My 2005 C6 is not a daily driver and I've never had any 'battery' problems. I get excellent results using a conventional (non-Optima) battery.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Al1969
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the assistance and responses. As I said the car sits during the winter(unless its nice not too cold day). I have made it a point of starting it once a week but I still have problems with what I assume it's the battery. Last time prior to bringing it to the dealer I had a jump start from my roadside assistance and started right away! Perhaps the battery does need to be replaced? I've read reviews on the optima batteries and seems quite a few owners are satisfied with them. Any other suggestions or recommendations? Once again thanks for all your help.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to see if my 06 will take the FLASH for dead battery syndrome this Tuesday morning. The TSB gives a whole slew of stuff to check but I'm just wanting to see if this FLASH update will take first.My battery goes dead depending on weather in 12 to 14 days.I mean dead.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
bruno10gs
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default battery

hey buddy. Ive been through that battery situation as well. with a 2010. Alot of folks like optimas, but a much better battery is the oddessy. Brails are real good too if you have them in your area. oddessy is expensive but worth it . I have two of p-1700 s in my prostreet 69 Nova. 540, 1071 Blown Scott Shafiroff motor.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:08 PM
bb996+r1
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally just replaced the battery in my 05'.
I did tons of research before purchasing. I went to 8 retail stores and investigated all the specs. I finally settled on a " Red Top" Duralast from Autozone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...2747_175931_0_

7 year warranty and 2 year free replacement. 590 cca and 735 ca.
So far so god.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 PM
TarHeelDon
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery thoughts

Go with an optima red top battery....once the oem battery starts losing a charge more and more regularly, your gonna have nothing but problems and it will present itself like it may be computer problems...A tender for the occasional driver is a must, but if you cant then you need to go with the best battery out there and thats a Optima Red Top...It has superior cranking power and unless you have some serious stereo type stuff in the car...red top over the yellow top. Still try to start it at least once every 5 days...just to show her you love her!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
coryvte
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you looked into a solar set-up? There are a couple of good solar trickle chargers (tenders) out there. It should help you out as long as you can park north south with the panel in the front or rear window (south end).

They would be about $150 for a decent one.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
grum
Instructor

I agree with Rebel 1 I disconnect the battery. I have a tender but I find it pretty much useless on another vehicle that sets pretty much unused summer and winter. I suspected the battery in my 07 gave up. I installed a temporary boat battery. The engine started, everything worked except the windows. I just went to the auto parts store and ordered a new battery, They did not stock a Corvette battery. I installed the new battery, Auto Value or what ever the name is, reset the windows and all was well. The car has been sitting in a cold garage since last October with battery cables off. I expect it will start just fine when I see it again in May, if the key cylinder works, if not it is new door glass time :-))

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Help with C6 battery

Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

You could try using a 'Priority Start'.

If you are not familiar as to what that is you can check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_75f5z6nd0w_e

Oh yes, I have an Optima Yellow Top.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 02-28-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Walmart. No hassles with the product. Should you need to exchange it for a new one, you can swap it out and you don't have to listen to any car dealer stories.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wouldn't get an optima again had them for my boat and what POS. Personally I don't think they produce as much power as they advertise. I had 6 or 8 in my boat and kept them on trickle all the time. The batteries were good because I tested them a few times because they seemed to have trouble turning the engines over sometimes. Only upside is that they are gel batteries and can take complete discharges better than wet batteries. To get the same amount of CCA's you need a much larger battery. I don't know why others said it takes a lot of energy to crank a Vette. The Delco in mine is 650 CCA's. I just went outside to check and that's less than my 09 Silverado and our 09 SL550. It shouldn't take 20 min of running the car to replace the amount of lost energy used by starting the car. My car has been completly dead and I have driven 10 min and didn't have another issue wiht the battery. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Help with C6 battery