C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temporary Registration/Tags

Old 03-17-2011, 01:12 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

I've done the same thing many times. As long as you insured and you tell the insurance company your transferring plates it shouldn't be an issue. Than again I've never got pulled over using this method so good luck.

Originally Posted by chimazo
I've always just thrown on a tag, made sure the car was insured, and then drove it home. I flew into NY a few years ago and drove the car I bought down to MD using this method. Technically not legal, however. In MD, I think they want you to drag your *** to the DMV waste half your day, and buy a set of temp. tags.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I'm just guessing but I would think the state from which your buying the car should issue you temp tags to get the car out-of-state. I know yours is a private sale but I'm going to use Macmauklin as an example. I live in NY and buy from them in NH. I drive to NH and they give you a temp tag (20days) to get the car home.

Difference is you go to DMV for the temp instead of ther dealer. I would contact the state that your buying the car in and see what they say.

I don't think you can just drive a car around with no plates or plates that are registered to another vehicle. Just my 2cents. In any event, good luck
Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 PM
txsugar08
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registration

Originally Posted by sgd1201
I am looking to buy a used c6 from a private individual and want to drive the car home.

It seems most states do not have provisions for temporary tags through private party transactions.

The states I will be traveling through are Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia.

I have spent quite a bit of time searching on the internet and still cannot find much info regarding this.

I have learned either by phone conversations or via websites that some of these states allow car to be driven to the new owners home without any license plate or temporary tag(because they don't issue them) as long as the newly transferred title (title with seller and buyer signatures) and a signed receipt both showing the sale had been completed very recently, is in possession of the new owner while he/she is driving home.

It is difficult to find written documentation on this, so my question is this;

Has anyone out there purchased a car out of state from a private individual and driven off with the car title in hand like this. And if so did you get stopped anywhere, and if so how did that work out?

I would appreciate anyone's input who has factual and useful info regarding this.

For those of you who want to just throw out your speculative opinions Go right ahead cause you all will anyway.

I'm just hoping I can get some useful info and advise on this situation.

Thanks to all in advance!
Just buy a temp. registration tag from the state you are purchasing the car in. The length of time varies from state to state. Some expire in 5,10,30 days If you are stopped just have you paper work and you will be ok.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:19 AM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It appears Michigan issue temp tags to residents, not clear about non-residents so you need to call.

Or, go to your DMV, ask for a manager and explain your situation. They may be able to get you a point to point "transport" or "temporary" tag. People at the desk or on the phone usually don't know what to do outside routine renewals and registrations.

Not a good idea to drive it without proper documentation.

Also call your insurance company to get it insured before driving.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:36 AM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Texas tags have no expiration date on them. (Each vehicle has a little sticker next to inspection sticker showing date of (re-) registration.

How many old Tx tags do you want??? lol

Insurance papers, bill of sale, and fully signed title should help. A few gray hairs on your head are invaluable too. Carry phone number of guy who sold you the vehicle. If it was me, I would also have a notary put his/her stamp on the paperwork.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:38 AM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

State of Arkansas had no temp tags until last few years. I used to tape a bill of sale on back window. Arkansas is now automated on tags. Temp tags are now computer generated. One per sale, one per vehicle.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:11 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Unless there is a reason to stop you, no LEO is going to give a thought to calling in a plate to see if it is legal. So, you put any legal plate on it and go. Play nice and no one will ever know the difference. If you do stupid things on the way home and get stopped, show them the title, insurance, and receipt and claim innocence. Tell them someone on the Internet told you it would be OK to use the plate from another car as long as it had a legal sticker.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

If the seller lets the new owner take the car using the old plate the seller can then be held liable for any accident that happens during the trip. The plate number will identify the seller as the owner and the lawyers won't give a damn whether there was a bill of sale and title transfer or not.

NY State doesn't offer temp tags to anybody and when I buy a car out of state I handle all of the paperwork before I go pick up the car so I have a plate with me when I get there. If there is some doubt whether I will actually purchase the car until I see it then I take my truck and trailer.

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temporary Registration/Tags