C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010/2011 Updated GPS DVD, for a 2005

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 AM
awalp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default 2010/2011 Updated GPS DVD, for a 2005

I have a 2005 C6 w/ Navi package and my GPS maps are getting a bit out of date.
-- Sometimes I'm driving through empty fields, I live in a rapidly growing area.

I'm worried it's going to lead me backwards down a one way street one day.

I see new 2010 GPS maps DVDs on ebay for $250. Ridiculous.

Does anyone know where I can get the latest possible GPS DVD for my 2005 C6 Navi for around the cost of the DVD itself?

Would it be possible to copy a 2010 GPS DVD with a DVD+/-R burner?
-- If so, anyone know where I can find the latest GPS DVD .ISO file?

thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: I found this website, gmnavdisc.com (the official GM Navi disc update website)

http://www.gmnavdisc.com/disc-search...CVET&year=2005

Selecting my car, they want $199 for a DVD of maps that should be free or cost of disc, considering I already paid for the GPS, and a 2011 DVD isn't costing them anything as they have to make them for current years.

So if possible, an ISO of disc PN# 20980238, would be great, if the Navi unit can read burned DVD+/-R discs.

Summary: Where can I get a 2011 DVD for the cost of a DVD instead of $200 from the stealership.

EDIT: Forgot about firmware update too, how can I check to see if my firmware can be updated, and how can I updated the firmware, are there free ISOs or NOT $200 CDs to upgrade the firmware?
-- I would probably need the latest firmware for a new Navi disc.
Summary: How can I check my firmware, and what does the updated firmware do besides allow 2005s to play MP3s? (I've never tried to play MP3s in mine),

Also I want to hookup Sirius/XM and an iPod with the GM Aux iPod kit,
but when I asked the dealer, they could not find what I was talking about and said no such item existed to allow an 2005 to have sattelite radio or an iPod interface,
is that true?

Last edited by awalp; 03-15-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:08 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow
Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 AM
hebdog7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So go to a public forum and ask if someone can "help" you commit a federal crime. Hmmm I have some beachfront property I would like to sell you in Alaska.

Or I bought a car with tires so I should never have to pay for them again? Or gas it was filled up the dealership should keep my tank topped off for me. I mean I already paid for a full tank when I bought the car. Right?

*end rant* and IBTL! LMFAO!!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

If "you" paid for the nav unit--in terms of you paid GM for it by buying a new car you should have updated a long time ago. I believe 2005 owners were entitled to 2 free updates. Then the economy went south, GM got greedy and bingo...gotta buy your own.

Why are you attacking a GM dealership (stealership)...pricing of the disc is set by GM not dealers. The GM site for updated discs is GM. Yes the price stupid and near theft...of course..welcome to the land of Vette tax.

Are folks tired of it...probalby so..look at Corvette sales....go price the new 550hp Caddy CTSV...damn nice for the less money (in terms of MSRP) then a loaded GS. Top of the line Caddy cheaper then a Chevy...something not right.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:11 PM
awalp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
If "you" paid for the nav unit--in terms of you paid GM for it by buying a new car you should have updated a long time ago. I believe 2005 owners were entitled to 2 free updates. Then the economy went south, GM got greedy and bingo...gotta buy your own.
I'm the 2nd owner of the car, and the original owner never updated the GPS disc, yet was an employee of GM (I bought the car in Detroit).

Do you know anywhere or know of any documentation relating to this 2 free updates you speak of?

I'm not trying to commit a federal copyright crime, just looking for information on what the process is, and if I'm entitled to a free update, how to get it.

-----

I don't think I even have the mp3 firmware update, and I believe that one is free, does anyone know of a place to obtain an ISO of one?

-----

Additionally... I have a problem in that my local dealership is clueless.

I went to them with my car, and asked about getting a firmware update, and also about getting an GM iPod AUX and satellite radio unit,
and they told me
1) GM doesn't make an iPod AUX unit, no such part exists
2) nor did a part exist that would allow me to add satellite radio to the factory 2005 Navi Bose stereo.

Based on what I've read on the forums, a GM iPod Aux adapter does exist, and Satellite radio can be added to a 2005 Navi Bose system.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:26 PM
gunnerja
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Free updates (2) only came with 2006 and 2007 and it was on the window sticker. GM has such suspended the program of free updates but you can ask nicely (as I did the other day) and got one. 2005 wasnt included. I would however as a friendly advise stop asking for a hack ISO. That will get you a perm ban.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Illinois427
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

As for your question on the iPod AUX unit, it is called the "PAL". Take a look at this site, it has everything you need to know. Order the cable from Kawal and the install is simple and quick.

http://www.kawal.net/PAL%20Rev%202.htm
Old 03-20-2011, 01:40 PM
awalp
Instructor

Free updates (2) only came with 2006 and 2007 and it was on the window sticker. GM has such suspended the program of free updates but you can ask nicely (as I did the other day) and got one. 2005 wasnt included. I would however as a friendly advise stop asking for a hack ISO. That will get you a perm ban.
I was only asking for an ISO... IF GM Freely distributed the material. I did not know until after I posted that it was not public domain material. I'm not asking for an ISO of the DVD.

I am asking for an ISO of the firmware update, IF It is public domain / free and legal to distribute.
-- My dealership didn't even know what the firmware update is, and I have no other way of getting the update other than calling a non-local dealer.

So if the 'firmware update' is considered public domain / free to distribute, does anyone know a source I can get it from for free, legally?

Originally Posted by Illinois2008vert
As for your question on the iPod AUX unit, it is called the "PAL". Take a look at this site, it has everything you need to know. Order the cable from Kawal and the install is simple and quick.

http://www.kawal.net/PAL%20Rev%202.htm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PAL iPod AUX Unit, a GM Part?

I asked at the dealership for the "PAL iPod Aux unit", and they told me no such part exists.
-- Another reason I think that dealer is clueless...

They also said a firmware update did not exists, nor did a GM part exist that would be a satellite radio tuner add-on.

I would like to
1) Update my Firmware
2) Add Satellite Radio to my Factory Navi Bose system
3) Add GM PAL iPod Aux unit to my Factory Navi Bose system
4) Sweat talk my dealer into a free 2011 Navigation DVD set.

When I bought my C6 from the Original owner, it only came with ONE Navigation DVD.
-- Currently they sell 'sets' of two DVDs, West and East.

Anyone know if in 2005 one DVD covered both West and East, or whether I just have an 'East' disc (I live in Ohio).

One of the reasons I was inquring about the Navigation update, is I am considering a trip to the west coast, and would like to be able to use my Navigation system, not only on the West coast, but in 2011.

Was 2005 a single DVD or two DVDs like they currently are?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55

-- Currently they sell 'sets' of two DVDs, West and East.

Anyone know if in 2005 one DVD covered both West and East, or whether I just have an 'East' disc (I live in Ohio).

One of the reasons I was inquring about the Navigation update, is I am considering a trip to the west coast, and would like to be able to use my Navigation system, not only on the West coast, but in 2011.

Was 2005 a single DVD or two DVDs like they currently are?

2005 had everything on one disc so you have it all.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:02 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 05 and it didn't have nav.. but it was = to the 3ls heated seats, Heads up, memory etc.. etc.. & I wanted Nav.... but for the price to buy a GM nav and install it, I bought a Magellen...

I don't need it EVERYDAY.. but on the occasions I do need it I just stick it to the windshield, or as I saw in another post it can be mounted on a plastic top from a spray can and placed in the cup holder...

Its UP-To- Date... only cost me $200 ...works or is much more user friendly than the GM unit, & I can use it in a different car if I have to....

It has Blue Tooth, I can use my cell phone with it ...

Bottom line I get a helluva lot better deal for $200 (free updates)..

Only downside some people don't like it on the windshield, but if I mount it in the cup holder it still works fine... & I saved a lot of $$ and aggrevation...

JMO
Old 03-20-2011, 03:18 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

2005s with navigation left the factory with a single DVD that covers the entire country. It wasn't until several versions later that it was split into separate East and West DVDs. If you have the original navigation DVD, you're good to go. Later versions, of course, have more POIs and roads than earlier editions.

As for the firmware update, it accomplished a couple of things:
  1. It allowed 2005s with factory navigation to play MP3 CDs.
  2. It eliminated a problem where the sound coming out of the audio player would contain static. When malfunctioning, a switch to the AM band and then back to the original input would resolve the issue but it would still be prone to recurrence.
A very important thing regarding the firmware update: Attempting to install the update in a car that has already received the update can (and probably will) do permanent damage to the head unit; such damage would require the head unit to be replaced. Before attempting the update, you should try playing an MP3 disc that you know works in other MP3 playback-equipped CD players; if it plays in your Corvette, then you know that the update has already been performed.

When the firmware update was announced by GM, it was performed in the affected cars free of charge. This was done under Service Bulletin # 05-08-44-014A. Note that the only cars that could be updated under the conditions of this bulletin were those whose navigation head unit was part number 15263014. This included most but not all 2005 Corvettes with navigation.

The update can be performed in any of three ways:
  1. Take your car to a dealer and have them look up the service bulletin; hopefully, they'll still have the update CDs. (There are two of them.)
  2. You can order the CDs from your dealer's parts department and perform the update yourself. The part number for the CDs is 15853651.
  3. You can go to this CF thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...x-finally.html Jump to post # 152 for instructions on downloading the update files yourself and burning them to CD, then performing the update yourself. This is what I did and it worked flawlessly.
If none of the above works for you, I can make copies of the update CDs as well as the instructions (they're the same as post # 1 in the thread mentioned above), send them to you, and you can perform the update yourself.

Lots of info, I know. Again, the first thing to do is try an MP3 disc that you know works. If it plays in your Corvette, the update has already been performed.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:25 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Not a built in factory GPS unit in Corvette. But
I have two Garmins a Nuvi 760 4.3 inch cost $350 and a 5 inch Nuvi 1390Tcost $369. With these you have to pay extra to get map updates.
I bought a Tom Tom $149 also but returned it as I didn't find it user friendly.

I bought a Magellan 4.3 inch for $79.95 but only get one free update and I like better than
all of the above units as it is much user friendly and more accurate. I will probably keep this one and I am now considering getting the Magellan 5 inch model (149.95) for another car. This model provides lifetime traffic updates and lifetime maps. So that leaves me with 2 Garmin GPS Units that cost a pretty penny yet neither Garmin can outperform the Magellan.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Illinois427
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The PAL is a GM part (don't have the part number handy), so your dealer is wrong there. Just get the PAL from one of the forum dealers, or directly from Ray Kawal in the link that I attached earlier. Definitely get the cable from Ray Kawal. Installation takes 15 to 30 minutes with Ray's cable, but hours of frustration doing it GM's way. The PAL will give you full control over the iPod using the NAV screen. Now that I think about it, if you don't have XM, I think you have to get the PAL directly from Ray Kawal. He has a later software update that GM doesn't.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS WON

I bought a Magellan 4.3 inch for $79.95 but only get one free update and I like better than
all of the above units as it is much user friendly and more accurate. I will probably keep this one and I am now considering getting the Magellan 5 inch model (149.95) for another car. This model provides lifetime traffic updates and lifetime maps. So that leaves me with 2 Garmin GPS Units that cost a pretty penny yet neither Garmin can outperform the Magellan.
YUP... 100%

I have two Magellan units, one I can ask "Distance to Destination" & it will give me the time & distance... verbally... or I can ask for GAS.. and it will reply with a list of gas stations...

I also have lifetime traffic updates... How can you beat a deal like that...All for less than $200... YES I will admit the factory unit looks MUCH nicer etc.. but its NOT as user friendly.. IMO
Old 03-21-2011, 01:17 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
YUP... 100%

I have two Magellan units, one I can ask "Distance to Destination" & it will give me the time & distance... verbally... or I can ask for GAS.. and it will reply with a list of gas stations...

I also have lifetime traffic updates... How can you beat a deal like that...All for less than $200... YES I will admit the factory unit looks MUCH nicer etc.. but its NOT as user friendly.. IMO

I'll probably get that other Magellan 5 inch GPS with the lifetime map subscription and traffic subscription.

Too bad this little Magellan I got for $79.95 only has ONE free map update.

Maybe I will return this little one and put the $79.95 towards the $149.95 lifetime larger unit.
I need two of these so I will either end up with two larger Magellan GPS units or one small one (good size) and one 5 incher.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 PM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Some people here are a holes, LOL. This guy is trying to save 200+ dollars and all you guys can think of is "crime, thieve, etc." pathetic really...
Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
Some people here are a holes, LOL. This guy is trying to save 200+ dollars and all you guys can think of is "crime, thieve, etc." pathetic really...
What are you talking about ???? We are talking about GPS systems... nothing about theft...
Old 06-21-2014, 09:44 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
Agreed!

Get notified of new replies

To 2010/2011 Updated GPS DVD, for a 2005

Quick Reply: 2010/2011 Updated GPS DVD, for a 2005