C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked key in car?

Old 04-02-2011, 11:34 AM
oildude
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked key in car?

First off, I had already set up the FOB reminder so that I couldn't lock the keys in the car, but......I managed, and here's how. I came back to the locked Coupe, opened the rear deck lid and put my gym bag in the back. The key was in the bag. The car stayed locked and wouldn't let me in. I called OnStar and they opened it for me, but isn't having the key in the car supposed to alarm the system if I close the lid? Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:18 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not in the trunck
Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Yea, not in the hatch/trunk area. No antennas back there. Many have done what you did. Just make a "note to self, don't do that".
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by oildude
First off, I had already set up the FOB reminder so that I couldn't lock the keys in the car, but......I managed, and here's how. I came back to the locked Coupe, opened the rear deck lid and put my gym bag in the back. The key was in the bag. The car stayed locked and wouldn't let me in. I called OnStar and they opened it for me, but isn't having the key in the car supposed to alarm the system if I close the lid? Any advise would be appreciated.
Only if the RCDLR module can "see" the fob. There are a lot of areas where the fob cannot be detected..... your gym bag location is one of them

I went with a buddy to Carmax the other day - he is looking for a 'car'. We took a quick look at a bone stock 06 coupe. The sales guy was meticulous in unlocking the lock box and getting out the fob, showing us the car and putting the fob back in the lockbox on the driver window. Whereupon, I called to him as he was walking away and said watch this: I opened the door and he was shocked that I could do that.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:28 PM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

[quote]I opened the door and he was shocked that I could do that.

would've started too, correct?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:31 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

First of all, I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum!!!

Sorry you're posting with a bad experience, but do a search and you'll find lots of threads where guys have done the same thing in the past.

There are dead spots in the cockpit where the fob won't be recognized and the doors will lock.

The ENTIRE hatch is a dead spot, and as you found out, the fob the system doesn't see the fob in there.

You did good with calling OnStar - maybe the main reason to keep the subscription going.

You should get a key cut that you can keep separate from the fob.

You also need to check your key and make sure it works - the cables have been known to not be connected properly.

Your problem occurs every couple of months, so the good thing about your post is that maybe some other new owner will see this and not have to discover it on their own.

Bob
Old 04-02-2011, 12:40 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Also, dead spot when a charger such as a phone, is plugged into the console port !!!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:06 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Don't feel bad, I did it, and I knew it does that. I was in a rush and grabbed work keys and put in pocket, when I was running out to car I grabbed briefcase grabbed work Keys from pocket (so i thought) threw them in brief case, opened rear hatch, threw it in and tried to open door... felt pocket and said "OH Sh*T" .... grabbed the fob with the keys....
live and learn
Old 04-02-2011, 01:50 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by RicK T
Yea, not in the hatch/trunk area. No antennas back there.
Not true.

Do you think the hatch release button in the rear will open for just anyone, FOB or no FOB?

IN FACT, I am living proof that you can open the hatch with the FOB locked in the rear hatch area (ask me how I know )
Old 04-02-2011, 02:04 PM
RPHCRMZ51
Racer

Default Antanne relocation

Were is the antannae located for fob detection? Is it a module or a wire? The reason I am asking because this happens all to often. If we could run a longer antannae wire accross the hatch area or along the back of the hatch area this might save some grief. With the enginuity (sp) we have on this forum I know we can fix this problem
Old 04-02-2011, 02:05 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Not true.

Do you think the hatch release button in the rear will open for just anyone, FOB or no FOB?

IN FACT, I am living proof that you can open the hatch with the FOB locked in the rear hatch area (ask me how I know )
Well, it was certainly true for me the one and only time I tossed my jacket (with my fob in the pocket) into the hatch and closed the lid. I had to have my wife drive 20 miles to bring me the second fob.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Well, it was certainly true for me the one and only time I tossed my jacket (with my fob in the pocket) into the hatch and closed the lid. I had to have my wife drive 20 miles to bring me the second fob.
1 day after I came home with my C6, I laid the FOB in the hatch area while loading things. Before I realized, I closed the lid. DAMN DAMN DAMN (problem is that I had only received one FOB with the car, with the 2nd to follow a few days later).

Not wanting to wait for days (and being an RF engineer by trade) I pushed and held the release button (above the license plate area) while I moved my body around a bit to try and act as a reflector for the RF. Besides my wife laughing her head off at the site, the hatch popped open after about 10 seconds.

(I subsequently removed the key from the FOB, cut off the plastic around the head of it and placed it in my wallet where it resides to this day).

Try opening your hatch with the release button with your FOB nowhere near the car and you'll see there is RF coverage near the back of the car.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There have been a few posts where someone put the fob near the rear wall of the trunk/hatch area and the rear antenna was able to 'see' the fob and let the hatch open.

Otherwise the C6 is like any other car where you can lock your keys in the trunk, but with OnStar at least you don't have to hide a key, although that's a good idea too.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:40 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

[QUOTE=gilhuly;1577235255]
I opened the door and he was shocked that I could do that.

would've started too, correct?
Possibly - that is a little far for the start antenna
Old 04-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by oildude
Oildude,

I thought I'd post the answer to this question publicly because I feel it's one of those subjects that many people want to know about. Technical assistance gave me the following information: First of all, they said this is normal and that it can and will happen. While it is possible to find a sweet spot that causes the car to think the fob is outside of the vehicle, it would be infrequent to randomly be that lucky. And while an unfortunate mistake, it should be likened to accidentally leaving the keys in the car and closing a locked door. As for the "alarm" this is actually a Key Fob Reminder. The 2008 Corvette Owner's Manual does state the following about this feature:
"FOB Reminder: This option chirps the horn three times when the driver’s door is closed and there is a keyless access transmitter inside the interior of the vehicle. This will only occur when the vehicle is off." When the doors were closed, the fob was not inside the vehicle; he later opened the trunk and placed the fob in the trunk.
"Lockout Protection: Your vehicle can be programmed to sound the horn three times and unlock the driver door when both doors are closed and there is a keyless access transmitter inside the vehicle. When the driver door is opened, a reminder chime will sound continuously. The vehicle will remain locked only when at least one transmitter has been removed from the vehicle and both doors are closed." Again, when the doors were closed, the fob was not in the car. And the car remained locked because at least one transmitter had been removed from the vehicle (when he exited previously) and both doors were closed. I hope this helps to answer your question. Please let me know if there’s anything else you need.

Thanks,
Laura
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

I did the very same thing. Had the key in the gym bag put it in the trunk and could not get the door open. OnStar expired. My wife was home cooking dinner and had bring me the spare key. She was not too happy about that. I was in the dog-house the rest of the night.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Silver99v6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Only if the RCDLR module can "see" the fob. There are a lot of areas where the fob cannot be detected..... your gym bag location is one of them

I went with a buddy to Carmax the other day - he is looking for a 'car'. We took a quick look at a bone stock 06 coupe. The sales guy was meticulous in unlocking the lock box and getting out the fob, showing us the car and putting the fob back in the lockbox on the driver window. Whereupon, I called to him as he was walking away and said watch this: I opened the door and he was shocked that I could do that.
Did that with a CTS V a few months ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Locked key in car?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I think that part of the reason that the system is set up to have a dead spot in the trunk is so that you can have a spare fob packed in your luggage. Without the dead spot, you would never be able to keep the car locked with the spare fob anywhere inside.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:29 PM
JamieBridwell
Intermediate

I did that with two keys. I left mine in the cup holder and the wife left hers in the rear hatch area. It usually sees the key in the cup holder, but not that day. I had to get a key cut from the dealer using the VIN number.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

It's clear that the answer is to stop going to the gym.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locked key in car?