C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil -vs- Royal Purple Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:52 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Amsoil -vs- Royal Purple Motor Oil

Anyone have experience with Royal Purple (RP) oil?

I also post this in the Z06 area, but yesterday evening I took the 'Z out for a ride. While I was out I wanted to pick up some oil for my next oil change.

My intent was to get Amsoil. But, no luck finding it on shelf. I went to Auto Zone and O'Rielly's. No Amsoil. They did have Royal Purple. I have read in the oil threads that some guys use RP.

I am wondering if RP is as good as Amsoil???? Anyone care to comment????

Also, I found a couple magnetic drain plugs (12mm 1.75-hope that's the right size). They had the gasket built into the head of plug......I thought they were supposed to be separate so it could be changed without having to change the whole plug????

Finally, I found K&N oil filter. First time I have EVER been able to buy a quality oil filter off the shelf at local auto parts store.....so I got a couple....they are the K&N gold performance filters. Last year I bought half case of UPF-48R's from forum vendor. I suppose I'll toss what's left of those since i can now buy K&N's....my question is; is the UPF-48R filter the same as K&N? I read that on this forum awhile back. I know the K&N cost was nearly doubled that of the AC/Delco....but, their all made at the same place......(I do believe the K&N have better filter media-just would like confirmation)

1) Royal Purple -vs- Amsoil.....is RP as good as????

2) drain plug size on LS7-is it 12mm 1.75??? Is that correct size? There are two different kinds I found-which type gasket is required? I bought the one thats made into the head of plug because the other choice did not look right to me.

3) UPF-48R filter media as good as K&N Gold filter media???

Thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They are both great oils, i have no hard evidence anywhere that one is better then the other. But since amsoil is a locally based company for me and i can get it at wholesale prices, its a easy choice for me.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:19 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

I would side with Amsoil in a heartbeat.

However, I run the factory swill. It's good for 5 years or 100K miles worth of guarantee, and that's good enough for me.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:26 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
Anyone have experience with Royal Purple (RP) oil?

I also post this in the Z06 area, but yesterday evening I took the 'Z out for a ride. While I was out I wanted to pick up some oil for my next oil change.

My intent was to get Amsoil. But, no luck finding it on shelf. I went to Auto Zone and O'Rielly's. No Amsoil. They did have Royal Purple. I have read in the oil threads that some guys use RP.

I am wondering if RP is as good as Amsoil???? Anyone care to comment????

Also, I found a couple magnetic drain plugs (12mm 1.75-hope that's the right size). They had the gasket built into the head of plug......I thought they were supposed to be separate so it could be changed without having to change the whole plug????

Finally, I found K&N oil filter. First time I have EVER been able to buy a quality oil filter off the shelf at local auto parts store.....so I got a couple....they are the K&N gold performance filters. Last year I bought half case of UPF-48R's from forum vendor. I suppose I'll toss what's left of those since i can now buy K&N's....my question is; is the UPF-48R filter the same as K&N? I read that on this forum awhile back. I know the K&N cost was nearly doubled that of the AC/Delco....but, their all made at the same place......(I do believe the K&N have better filter media-just would like confirmation)

1) Royal Purple -vs- Amsoil.....is RP as good as????

2) drain plug size on LS7-is it 12mm 1.75??? Is that correct size? There are two different kinds I found-which type gasket is required? I bought the one thats made into the head of plug because the other choice did not look right to me.

3) UPF-48R filter media as good as K&N Gold filter media???

Thanks
I don't have any experience with amsoil but have read good things about it. I have been using Royal Purple for years and am very satisfied with its performance. Can't go wrong either way IMHO.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Trying not to inflame what is sure to be a hotly debated topic...

AMSOIL does have a few tests that include both RP products and AMSOIL:
AMSOIL Motorcycle Oil “White Paper” (1 MB pdf file)
AMSOIL Gear Lube “White Paper” (2 MB pdf file)

I'll also offer that as a forum vendor, I'm more than happy to get AMSOIL for forum members at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I just had this discussion with my mechanic over amsoil, he stated that they took apart an engine that was using amsoil and could not believe how clean and new looking the components were. This is my choice.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
I just had this discussion with my mechanic over amsoil, he stated that they took apart an engine that was using amsoil and could not believe how clean and new looking the components were. This is my choice.
I had the exact same comment form a Corvette mechanic with more than 30 years experience with Corvettes IRT Mobil 1.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
I had the exact same comment form a Corvette mechanic with more than 30 years experience with Corvettes IRT Mobil 1.
I have been using Mobil 1 for a few years, when I changed over to amsoil I noticed greater oil pressure where Mobil 1 would not produce more pressure at all.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:19 PM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use AMS/OIL in the engine, trany, and rearend....I love it.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks for the replies. I found out here that I have to order Amsoil and it comes to my door.

Anyway, factory warranty still covered with it, so I'm gonna give it a try.

Thanks for info guys. Now, I have over 2 1/2 gallons of Royal Purple.....I'm going to see how my Yukon likes it
Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

I used all Royal Purple in my C5 Z with no problems. As soon as it's time I'll be changing the fluids in my C6 Z to RP.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Mobil 1
Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
I suppose that kinda make you wonder why the mechanic took it apart in the first place..... if it was like new !! Just sayin!!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:36 PM
freeride59
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Mobil1 vs amzoil vs royal purple

I'm sure all three are very good oils , they all meet the API performance criteria and all three have the SAE starburst on the front label.

My problem with Amzoil is I have to meet some guy behind the dumpster at 7-11 to buy a quart. If it's so good why can't I go to auto zone or walmart to buy some. My other problem with amzoil is the outrageous performance claims.

I'm pretty sure if you changed your oil every 3k miles it probably doesn't matter what kind of oil you use, it probably doesn't matter what filter you use either.

This is what I do know, the hundreds of engineers at GM are telling me to use Mobil1. I'm pretty sure the guys at GM aren't getting kickbacks from mobil, I don't think they get commission on every bottle sold in the US, they're probably not part of some wacky pyramid scheme with some guy whose brother in law works for mobil.

The engineers at GM spend thousand of hours with engines on dynamometers performing durability and life tests, I'm sure there is a trade off between durability,economy and horsepower. Mobil1 is the best fit for the LS3 the same way castrol syntec is the best fit for BMW's needs. Yeah maybe you can throw some amzoil in you motor and get 5 more horsepower,but maybe the engine will last only 150k miles instead of 175 k miles.

Just my opinion , I could be wrong.

That's what's so awesome about the internet a whole bunch of people with opinions with no facts to back it up.

By the way I'm selling my own brand of performance oil (it's really walmart supertech oil relabeled ) I guarantee you will see a Gain of up to 30 HP. You may actually see more HP gain but I cannot guarantee it. I just need to come up with so really cool name for the oil, the name should have a number in it and a cool high tech word. How about HELIX 5 or TURBO 1 or MATRIX SIX or RED 5, make up your own name it's fun.

So if you want to buy my super special oil meet my brother in law behind the dumpster at the 7-11 just off the cross Bronx expressway, the secret code word is "swordfish".
Old 05-02-2011, 06:43 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Autozone and Walmart dont carry it because there isnt a large enough market for a $8 quart of oil. It doesnt make sense for it to sit on there shelves for the few people that may want it. Amsoil has a rather nice website and they ship nationwide. Even here in the state that its made its carried in VERY limited places, I get it directly from a regional sales rep. There are a few performance shops and a few NAPA's that carry it around here, thats about it. The average Joe that wants to change his own oil is going to think that Mobil 1 is to expensive! There would be no market for oil like this at walmart.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:27 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Autozone and Walmart dont carry it because there isnt a large enough market for a $8 quart of oil. It doesnt make sense for it to sit on there shelves for the few people that may want it. Amsoil has a rather nice website and they ship nationwide. Even here in the state that its made its carried in VERY limited places, I get it directly from a regional sales rep. There are a few performance shops and a few NAPA's that carry it around here, thats about it. The average Joe that wants to change his own oil is going to think that Mobil 1 is to expensive! There would be no market for oil like this at walmart.
That just about sums it up. As a matter of fact, AMSOIL has distribution warehouses around the country. My AMSOIL products come from DFW so I have it on my doorstep the next day with regular UPS shipping when ordering from their webstore. Could not be simplier. I use AMSOIL from front to back in my cars. Being in their Preferred Customer Program allows me to buy at dealer pricing so the cost is comparable to Mobil 1. In AMSOIL I Trust!!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freeride59
This is what I do know, the hundreds of engineers at GM are telling me to use Mobil1. I'm pretty sure the guys at GM aren't getting kickbacks from mobil, I don't think they get commission on every bottle sold in the US, they're probably not part of some wacky pyramid scheme with some guy whose brother in law works for mobil.

The engineers at GM spend thousand of hours with engines on dynamometers performing durability and life tests, I'm sure there is a trade off between durability,economy and horsepower. Mobil1 is the best fit for the LS3 the same way castrol syntec is the best fit for BMW's needs. Yeah maybe you can throw some amzoil in you motor and get 5 more horsepower,but maybe the engine will last only 150k miles instead of 175 k miles.

Just my opinion , I could be wrong.
Sorry, but you are wrong. The decisions you mention above have nothing to do with what the engineers recommend, they are completely due to the best deal they got from the oil manufacturer, and the marketing aspects that result from it.

If the engineers were asked for their input on what would be the best, there would be specific custom oils for each Corvette engine that would likely cost $50-$100 a quart because they would be manufactured in such low quantity.

Im not saying Mobil1 is not a good oil, its certainly one of the best oils you can buy on the shelf.

Get notified of new replies

To Amsoil -vs- Royal Purple Motor Oil

Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freeride59
My problem with Amzoil is I have to meet some guy behind the dumpster at 7-11 to buy a quart. If it's so good why can't I go to auto zone or walmart to buy some. My other problem with amzoil is the outrageous performance claims.

I'm pretty sure the guys at GM aren't getting kickbacks from mobil,
I've never rated the quality of a product on whether or not Walmart carried the product. In that case, I suppose Walmart carries the best electronics and high end jewelry as well.

As for Amsoil, the two local NAPA stores carry it.

Regarding kickbacks, I would think that Exxon/Mobil is "rewarding" GM and other manufacturers nicely for using and marketing their products.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Autozone and Walmart dont carry it because there isnt a large enough market for a $8 quart of oil.
Actually AMSOIL's corporate policies prohibit these stores from carrying AMSOIL. It is believed, though I can't personally verify this, that Walmart offered AMSOIL a multi-million dollar offer many years ago to carry AMSOIL and they said no. AMSOIL was formed by a retired Air Force LtCol who commanded an F-104 fighter squadron that used synthetics in his jet engines. He retired, formed a small company, and AMSOIL formulated the first synthetic motor oil in the world to meet API service requirements for automobile engines in 1972.

His corporate philosophy was and remains (still a family owned business) to support small businesses. Any store with 12 or less stores, or independent stores in larger chains (e.g. any privately owned NAPA store) can carry AMSOIL.

I've set up several business with these types of accounts.
AMSOIL Retail On-The-Shelf Accounts

As mentioned above, though, for those looking to buy AMSOIL, they have 11 distribution centers around the country and most orders arrive about 2-3 days after they are ordered via UPS. I can set up any forum member to buy at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used Royal Purple for years and I change my oil in my DD every 9000 miles. I have a 2005 with 64K+ mikes. I always check my oil color and "feel" to determine if the change should be sooner. Since 2005 I have never had to change it any earlier.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Quick Reply: Amsoil -vs- Royal Purple Motor Oil