C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! New battery, alarm won't shut off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 04:25 PM
w.huynh
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! New battery, alarm won't shut off?

Hey guys and gals,

Here is my situation, hopefuly some of you can help me out. I have a 05 c6 and it's been parked for about 6 months. I came across a wicked deal, $100 bucks for a brand new optima battery so I decided to replace it today and get the car on the road.

I took out the old battery, put in the new otima. Once connected the alarm goes off and doesn't shut off. Keep in mind that the car has just been sitting for 6 months and the keys have been laying on the passenger seat.

I've tried pressing the unlock and the alarm button on the key fob but nothing seems to shut it off.

Am I missing a step? I've tried searching on the forum but came across nothing.

I hope I have given enough information. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Does the alarm shut off after 2 minutes like it's supposed to?

If it does, what happens when you then try to open the door using the fob?

How did you get in the car with the dead battery? I'm assuming the windows were down and you used the manual door release.

Just because you left the fob on the seat doesn't affect anything but if it's an '05, it's probably time that you replace the fob battery.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:24 PM
w.huynh
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for the quick response.

The hooked it up to let it sit for the 2 minutes like you said. After about 20 seconds the alarm shuts off.

I try to open the door with the fob but no luck. I put the fob on the drivers seat and press the acc button and it says "no fobs detected".

The door windows are down, and the trunk is open by the way.

I'm going to run to the mall and buy myself a new battery for the fob remote.

I'm just worried, after putting in the new battery, I might have to reprogram the fob? Hopefully things dont get really messed up and I have to get it towed to the dealer in the end. I really wanted to drop off my car at the shop tomorrow for full exhaust install ...
Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure about the 05 model year, but if the fob battery dies on my 2010, you just open the glove box, slip the fob into the slot located on the left side and push the start button. There are contacts in there that will power the fob from the car battery.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

I would be interested in whether the new battery is the issue as well. I have seen new batteries act up and not be able to handle the Corvette. Either way, whatever happens, do not forget that you will have to go through the re-indexing process with your windows.

Good luck,

Brent
GM Customer Service
Old 05-16-2011, 04:53 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by w.huynh
Hey guys and gals,

Here is my situation, hopefuly some of you can help me out. I have a 05 c6 and it's been parked for about 6 months. I came across a wicked deal, $100 bucks for a brand new optima battery so I decided to replace it today and get the car on the road.

I took out the old battery, put in the new otima. Once connected the alarm goes off and doesn't shut off. Keep in mind that the car has just been sitting for 6 months and the keys have been laying on the passenger seat.

I've tried pressing the unlock and the alarm button on the key fob but nothing seems to shut it off.

Am I missing a step? I've tried searching on the forum but came across nothing.

I hope I have given enough information. Thanks in advance!
try to disconect neg. side few min and put it back on.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

you don't say whether you drove the car, started it, or that the battery was fully charged before you put it in. as seen on CF, cars do very strange things (C6s, that is) when the batt. is run down. could it be that you have a minimally-charged battery, even tho it's brand new?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:02 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I changed my 05 battery about a month ago. It was totally dead. Alarm went off as soon as cables touched the posts. Shut off alarm with fob. I would guess is fob needs a new battery also. He should be fine and will have to re index windows, set clock and possibly other items. I also put on my charger/maintainer to bring the new battery to a full charge.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:04 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

New FOB battery is the cheapest/easiest next step. I bet that fixes the alarm issue.

From another thread:
Originally Posted by cclive
A nickel is the perfect tool to pry open the '05-'07 fob...then just a bit silicone on the gasket and it will easily snap back together.
And you definitely should NOT have to reprogram the fob.

More tips & discussion: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...y-warning.html

BTW, the fob-in-the-glovebox-slot trick should always work. And it's an easy way to test the fob. Just be sure the fob is oriented correctly.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

OP, did the fob battery solve this issue?

Get notified of new replies

To Help!! New battery, alarm won't shut off?

Quick Reply: Help!! New battery, alarm won't shut off?