C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should we use fuel injector cleaners?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The service department told me to add BG44K at least once a year and make sure not to let fuel sit in the tank long periods. They have had issues with people who dont drive their vets very often. he said the sending units go bad and that it is an expensive repair, like 1,500.00
Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some FI cleaners are solvent based which are ok to use occasionally as they can be harsh on rubber and diaphragms in the fuel system.
Other cleaners are based on detergents like redline.. These can be used more often without harm.
Solvent based FI cleaners mix with the oil during combustion and those who know only use them right before an oil change.. This is a little extreme.. but these are more than just cars to most.
I use redline like twice a year.. I have used solvent based cleaners in older cars with carbon buildup and other problems with great results..
No need to use in the spoiled pampered vette... IMO
Old 05-19-2011, 12:54 PM
RaleighTL
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For your late nite reading:
http://www.swri.org/3pubs/brochure/d08/qualify/qual.htm
Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
........ With today's fuel, "cleaners" should not be necessary. That being said, I use a bottle of Chevron Pro-Guard once a year, in the tank of gas before an oil change. I don't know if it is helpful, but it makes me feel better......
That's where I am. I use AMSOIL PI at oil change intervals which is 7500 or greater.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DT455
Lucas fuel injector cleaner every couple months.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
Some FI cleaners are solvent based which are ok to use occasionally as they can be harsh on rubber and diaphragms in the fuel system.
Other cleaners are based on detergents like redline.. These can be used more often without harm.
Solvent based FI cleaners mix with the oil during combustion and those who know only use them right before an oil change.. This is a little extreme.. but these are more than just cars to most.
I use redline like twice a year.. I have used solvent based cleaners in older cars with carbon buildup and other problems with great results..
No need to use in the spoiled pampered vette... IMO
How does the GM Fuel Treatment fit in there?
The bottle recommends using as often as every 3k miles, and says nothing about changing the oil after use. In fact, it recommends using it "at every oil change", which sounds more like adding it after the change and not before.
But GM occasionally goofs...

Several people have said the GM is rebottled Techron.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:39 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

I use a combination of Lube Control's Fuel Power and RLI's Bio-Plus, per a well respected tribologist. 1oz per 10gallons.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
How does the GM Fuel Treatment fit in there?
The bottle recommends using as often as every 3k miles, and says nothing about changing the oil after use. In fact, it recommends using it "at every oil change", which sounds more like adding it after the change and not before.
But GM occasionally goofs...

Several people have said the GM is rebottled Techron.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by dardenken
I started a separate thread on this, just posted that Blackstone Labs says their oil analysis shows no problems with normal fuel treatments like Techron or GM Fuel Treatment.

Aggressive de-carbonizers or top engine cleaners might be different, I didn't ask.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:41 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C-INRED
It's a waste of money IMO.
If you use a Top Tier gas. If you you use a crap gas (BJ's etc.) it may not be.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I started a separate thread on this, just posted that Blackstone Labs says their oil analysis shows no problems with normal fuel treatments like Techron or GM Fuel Treatment.

Aggressive de-carbonizers or top engine cleaners might be different, I didn't ask.
I add techron (the small bottle for 10 gallons) after a oil change,which is about 5000 miles,some times less.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 05-27-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: change
Old 05-27-2011, 12:55 AM
1Corvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gentlemen, when is the last time you saw a dirty or fouled fuel injector? Use a premium top tier fuel and spend your fuel additive money on something that will really make your car faster or more fun to drive. Fuel additives = waste of money = marketing. Also, for those of you who think that if a little is good, a lot will be great, you are wrong. Too much of certain additives can actually poison the system and cause expensive damage. If you must use an additive, follow the directions. Bottom line, you get all the fuel treatment you need in the fuel you are buying.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BG 44k once per year for my Corvette. For my other vehicles, 44k every 7500 miles.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:25 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Four Corvettes and close to 200k miles over all of them. Never believed the injector BS and never paid for it. And never regreted.

Save your money for real mods. Don't buy in to the snake oil BS.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

And as for the whole ideology of switching brands every 500 miles (yes, I read the article) I'm not buying it, at least for my car. I'm tuned for Chevron 91 octane and that's what I use - period.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:31 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Corby
http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

I noticed at the end of this article, it says when storing your car leave as little gas in the tank as possible. I always thought it was better to store with a full tank. Anyone k now which is best?
Full tank is better otherwise water will condense in the tank.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Corby
http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

I noticed at the end of this article, it says when storing your car leave as little gas in the tank as possible. I always thought it was better to store with a full tank. Anyone k now which is best?
Storing with a full tank reduces condensation, which is a bigger deal for light airplanes that are often parked outside with big temperature swings and are very sensitive to water in the gas.

Storing with only a little fuel is an advantage if the stuff starts to deteriorate, not as much to burn out and you can dilute it easily with a full tank of new fuel.

Your car, your choice.

Perhaps it's just my airplane background, but I prefer to store with a full tank. Since I never need to store more more than three months, I store it full of fresh Top Tier premium and don't worry about deterioration.

Get notified of new replies

To Should we use fuel injector cleaners?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Monterey C6
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

For the most part I would say additives in a Corvette used the way most people do is a waste. I have used them in my other vehicles and never noticed any improvement over the way they were already running.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 AM
BabyBlueVert
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I use Sea Foam....a little in the gas and a little in the crankcase before oil changes.
I haven't used SEAFOAM in my 08 Vette because it's a relatively new DD and I usually keep the tank 1/2 full or more. I can comment SEAFOAM has worked great added to the fuel tanks in my 04 Tundra, BMW bike, boat, and three smaller lawn gear engines. I have a 14 y/o 2-cycle 120 Mercruiser, 14 y/o 1100 cc 4-stroke in the BMW, and a 15 y/o John Deere lawn tractor. They all get SEAFOAM gas protection 12 months a year, and all engines start right up and run smooth. I also use premium gas in everything plus methanol-free gas in the boat.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:34 PM
BestMechanic
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend you to try Techron or Lucas. Also Royal Purple is quite good but for more information check on http://injectorcleanermanual.com/ . They have much more cleaners. So you could choose the best one for you.

Quick Reply: Should we use fuel injector cleaners?