C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

factory tires SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default factory tires SUCK!

I have tried to change the air pressure but the traction is poor at best. The road my house is on winds through the forest with a bunch of really great curves. I love to drift my C4 through these turns on the way home from work but my C6 is all over the place. In the morning when the tires are cold they get even less traction. My car has the Z51 package and should hold these turns better then it does right now. Even the front end will push out.

Traction control does not like to drift at all, competition mode is better but still has a strange feel to it.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:19 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowhater
I have tried to change the air pressure but the traction is poor at best. The road my house is on winds through the forest with a bunch of really great curves. I love to drift my C4 through these turns on the way home from work but my C6 is all over the place. In the morning when the tires are cold they get even less traction. My car has the Z51 package and should hold these turns better then it does right now. Even the front end will push out.

Traction control does not like to drift at all, competition mode is better but still has a strange feel to it.
Turn it all off, even in competition mode active handling will kick in. Press and hold the button for about 5 seconds and it will disable all the driving aids. And yes, the factory supercar tires are JUNK.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Turn it all off, even in competition mode active handling will kick in. Press and hold the button for about 5 seconds and it will disable all the driving aids. And yes, the factory supercar tires are JUNK.
So what do I do? I bought my car because I like to DRIVE my car. Dont get me wrong I love my vett and I take care of it but I drive it like it was ment to be driven. What tires will hook up and what is the biggest tires we can put on the factory rims and get in the fenders?

at 65-70mph if I floor the gas my car will start fish tailing even with traction control on.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

here we go again...

How much HP do you have if you really fishtail at 65+ mph? I have the GY's and yes they suck but I have no issues with traction above 40-45 mph. Unless you are really highly modded maybe the links on the sway bars are bad. I cant see a bolt-on car having the ability to spin the tires at 65+.

Last edited by gunterwalker; 05-17-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by gunterwalker
here we go again...

How much HP do you have if you really fishtail at 65+ mph? I have the GY's and yes they suck but I have no issues with traction above 40-45 mph.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:33 PM
xBrahmaBullx
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

Old 05-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

the car made 448RWHP on the dyno with a middle of the road tune.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:40 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

here we go again...

How much HP do you have if you really fishtail at 65+ mph? I have the GY's and yes they suck but I have no issues with traction above 40-45 mph. Unless you are really highly modded maybe the links on the sway bars are bad. I cant see a bolt-on car having the ability to spin the tires at 65+.
times two.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

what do you want me to do take a video? I drive two lane roads in the country. When I run the curves and hit the straits I will stomp on it and the car will get lose almost every time unless I am going 65 or better. I can roll into it but if I stomp the gas and the stall hits I will get lose every time.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:45 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The road my house is on winds through the forest with a bunch of really great curves. I love to drift my C4 through these turns on the way home from work but my C6 is all over the place. In the morning when the tires are cold they get even less traction.
I'm not sure that drifting corners on public roads is the best thing to do anyway, just from a safety perspective.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:45 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

the car made 448RWHP on the dyno with a middle of the road tune.
Gotcha, that might be enough HP to do it. I saw a thread yesterday that was talking about how the rubber gets hard quicker than other tires. If your tires are a few years old that could really contribute to the poor traction as well since the GY's tend to get hard. Mine are just a few years old and I have noticed that they are getting harder. The tires have tons of life left though.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

here we go again...

With the Goodyears, I could easily spin my tires at 65 MPH in second gear. With the Bridgestones, they hook. BTW, I have 3 horsepower less then the OP's 448 and my rears are 40mm wider.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Gotcha, that might be enough HP to do it. I saw a thread yesterday that was talking about how the rubber gets hard quicker than other tires. If your tires are a few years old that could really contribute to the poor traction as well since the GY's tend to get hard. Mine are just a few years old and I have noticed that they are getting harder. The tires have tons of life left though.
My tires are almost new, the car only has 5000 miles on it. The past owner is a drag racer and he bought the car for his wife. During the off season he would build on the car a little here and there but his wife would no longer drive it so it sat in the garage under a cover. Once the tires get warm they run about 30-31psi in the rear and 31-32psi in the fronts
Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 PM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry ;but I get tired of the Goodyear bashing. I autocross and track on GYs and beat guys with other brands all the time.

You didn't like the factory exhaust , air intake and probably the camshaft - why would you expect the factory tires to be magic?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

nope you nailed it but you forgot the 3000rpm non lock up stall.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:08 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Goodyears with the z51 are worse then the non z51 GY's, but both are bad for traction. I liked the Michelin replacement better on my 06 and the Continental Extreme Contact on my 09 much , much better for traction.The best thing you can do with a Goodyear runflat is wear it out and replace it with another brand- and don't worry the Goodyears are very helpful in wearing out-especially the supercars which are a POS.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

So what is a good replacment tire and how big can I go on the factory rim?

Get notified of new replies

To factory tires SUCK!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:30 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

crowhater, in your posts, I see:
1) warm PSI of 30-31 front and 31-32 rear, and
2) "When I run the curves and hit the straits I will stomp on it and the car will get lose almost every time unless I am going 65 or better. I can roll into it but if I stomp the gas and the stall hits I will get lose every time."

My warm temps generally run 34 -35 which helps traction on warm road surfaces. Could that be a bit of a factor? Also, coming out of a curve and "stomping on it" willbreak the tires loose every time. A smooth application of power will work. Ask any racing driver.

Regards.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:35 PM
MuscleVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which factory tires? You don't mention the model year or which tire you have. From what I've heard and personally experienced, the older factory tires do suck. The new ones (GYG2) are pretty dang good. They seem to hold our 2011 GS's on tight corners at high speeds very well without any loss of traction.

I don't have a problem with people giving their opinion or fact based on specific facts, but really dislike over-generalized comments.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Goodyear Eagle F1 tires

Quick Reply: factory tires SUCK!