C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Grinding Noise? New Rotors and Pads.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

dennis08, fully agree w. ct above. go to stoptech site for info on how to bed brake pads in.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM
0Brakemotive
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

A deep howling noise is normal on drilled rotors, especially in panic stops where line pressure is maxed out. New rotors/pads will take up to 1k miles to fully bed in and may be abnormally noisy in the first few hundred miles. As long as no obvious mechanical malfunction is observed I would continue to bed them in. Abnormal pad wear like in the picture above is usually indicative of worn guide pins. I would recommend inspecting them as a matter of course, if they are dry clean/lube and reassemble.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
A deep howling noise is normal on drilled rotors, especially in panic stops where line pressure is maxed out. New rotors/pads will take up to 1k miles to fully bed in and may be abnormally noisy in the first few hundred miles. As long as no obvious mechanical malfunction is observed I would continue to bed them in. Abnormal pad wear like in the picture above is usually indicative of worn guide pins. I would recommend inspecting them as a matter of course, if they are dry clean/lube and reassemble.
Just to be clear, I think the OP is hearing grinding noise in normal driving and only on one wheel:

"can be faintly heard with radio, AC, and windows down at a slow roll into the driveway.

It has some streaking that is aligned with the drilled spots.

The only thing I've seen different is that the drilled holes do not have as much champer on the LR than the rest.
"

If it's burrs on the holes in the rotor, the ceramic pads will eventually wear a groove and the noise will go away, until a new set of pads is installed.

Last edited by StKnoWhere; 05-31-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
0Brakemotive
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by StKnoWhere
Just to be clear, I think the OP is hearing grinding noise in normal driving and only on one wheel:

"can be faintly heard with radio, AC, and windows down at a slow roll into the driveway.

It has some streaking that is aligned with the drilled spots.

The only thing I've seen different is that the drilled holes do not have as much champer on the LR than the rest.
"

If it's burrs on the holes in the rotor, the ceramic pads will eventually wear a groove and the noise will go away, until a new set of pads is installed.
Yes, but at 20 miles the new rotors/pads are no where near fully bedded. He needs more miles as long as the caliper is functioning properly and the rotor isn't warped.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Mikej8010@aol.com
1st Gear

Default Rotors clicking

Just replaced my rotors and brakes 2005 corvette z51 package alcabano brakes. Car is making a clicking sound with the brakes applied and not applied it sounds like a baseball card in the spoke of a bicycle I put apx 250 miles on the brakes so far with no improvement . It's driving me crazy any ideas ?? Mike.

Quick Reply: Brake Grinding Noise? New Rotors and Pads.