C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gotta a question for my dealer & need some input....

Old 05-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default gotta a question for my dealer & need some input....

put down a deposit last week to place an order and was told i was "first on the list," which i don't dispute but i want to check in this week and ask if they have placed the order and if they have an order # so i can track it using this,.. http://www.chevroletconnects.com/start i just wanta know what the # will look like so i know that i am given a order #. basically want all info i can get going in. this is a dealer i've never dealt with and want to know all i can. just want all the knowledge i can get. thanks......

btw, anybody know when the pricing will be out? any new 2012 info i would love to see...

Last edited by Atomic Punk; 05-30-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

AFAIK, dealers still have to have an allocation before they can order a new C6. Maybe what you should ask him is when he'll have an allocation.

In the past, the order number was 6 characters composed of all upper case letters of the alphabet.

I think pricing is supposed to be out sometime in June.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
AFAIK, dealers still have to have an allocation before they can order a new C6. Maybe what you should ask him is when he'll have an allocation...
It was my impression that the order number was available when the order is entered which should be as soon as you sign the last piece of paper assuming the dealer has an allocation. Without an allocation then your "order" is just an entry on a "future customer" list that may or may not eventually move to an order list. Lots of people have been burned placing orders with dealers who had no allocations.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

with everything that Jim and FortMorganAl said. When you place your order, remember that although you have an order number it doesn't necessarily mean that your car will be built any time soon. The key (as they already said) is for your dealer to have an allocation for a Corvette that they use to satisfy your order. Now that demand is so far down, that shouldn't be a problem. The thing to look for is a change in your order's status code. When it's at 1100 or 1101, all that has happened is that the dealer has entered the order; the car is not yet scheduled to be built. Once you hit 2500, your car is in the queue and you can likely count on seeing it in around 6 weeks.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

i was aware of the allocation thing and was told they had one when i ordered. i wasn't sure what the order # looked like. i wanted to know it when i saw it so i could follow on the site for status changes. thanks for the help. i just spoke to him and he said he would check tomorrow to see if it had been accepted and get back to me then. he said they update once a week on tuesday's. that sound right?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Punk
i just spoke to him and he said he would check tomorrow to see if it had been accepted and get back to me then. he said they update once a week on tuesday's. that sound right?
That is exactly correct.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:03 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The order number will be a six digit combination of numbers and letters.

PPKTV2 for example.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Originally Posted by mpuzach
That is exactly correct.
Originally Posted by talon90
The order number will be a six digit combination of numbers and letters.

PPKTV2 for example.

thanks guys, you im psyched!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Upper case alphabetical numbers. I agree completely.

Good luck and Congratulations on your new Corvette!

Brent
GM Customer Service
Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc

Brent
GM Customer Service
Upper case alphbetical numbers? What does that mean? It's a combo of letters and numbers or all numbers sometimes.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Brent
GM Customer Service

thanks!

i just spoke with the guy at the dealership and he said they don't have any info on my order as of today. i asked him if they had an allotment and he said that i was the first one and it would get ordered. not sure what that means really. sounds like he is telling me that they have one but then again he could be telling me what i want to hear. would there be any news by today if i ordered last monday?
also he is suppose to call me back with the #. we'll see....
Old 05-31-2011, 02:38 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

would there be any news by today if i ordered last monday?
Yes, the orders get picked up on Tuesday.

No offense you or your dealer but......don't let them string you along for weeks and weeks. Either they have an allocation, NOW, or they don't. We've seen too many of these stories here where someone who doesn't know any better orders a car in good faith and the dealer KNOWINGLY strings them along, sometimes for months, waiting until they get their 1 or 2 allocations for the year. If you don't have an order number by tomorrow morning, talk to the Gen Mgr and let him know that you know about allocations and you will not be hung out to dry. If they can't provide an order number by next Wed (06-08-11) then you will cancel with them and go elsewhere. Good luck, we'll be watching.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Originally Posted by RicK T
Yes, the orders get picked up on Tuesday.

No offense you or your dealer but......don't let them string you along for weeks and weeks. Either they have an allocation, NOW, or they don't. We've seen too many of these stories here where someone who doesn't know any better orders a car in good faith and the dealer KNOWINGLY strings them along, sometimes for months, waiting until they get their 1 or 2 allocations for the year. If you don't have an order number by tomorrow morning, talk to the Gen Mgr and let him know that you know about allocations and you will not be hung out to dry. If they can't provide an order number by next Wed (06-08-11) then you will cancel with them and go elsewhere. Good luck, we'll be watching.

just got off the phone and i have an order #. i have not dealt with this dealership but haven't heard any negative reports. & the saleman i am working with seems to be a good guy and straight up with me. im sure he has a lot going on other than me so having this # should make tracking it easier. he said they sell about 60 a year and i have the first allocation so they should be in line pretty early.

i hope you are telling me that since i now have the # that things should move along timely...
Old 05-31-2011, 03:37 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

i hope you are telling me that since i now have the # that things should move along timely...
Well, it's a start......but ONLY a start. The Order Number is generated when the dealer enters the order in GM's system. So, in and of itself, the order number doesn't mean they have an allocation. Having an order number puts your order at Status 1100. You want to see that change, quickly, to 2500, meaning it was picked up by GM.

Here's an old but good list and explanations that should help you.

Originally Posted by kts1962
Hi Ya CFUNKB - So the Saga Goes On, yes?
It sounds like you are in a good situation now as you ahve a TPW of 7/10/2006, but let's backtrack. (With apologies if you already understand some or all of this...)

TPW (Target Production Week), is GM's lingo for the expected week that your car will start on the manufacturing line. You car is simply an Order # to GM in their VOMS (Vehicle Order Mgmt System). Getting a TPW means that your Order (Order # in GM VOMS) matches to your Dealer's Allocations and known GM Vehicle Contraints for that production week. While TPW's will change from time to time, it is pretty reliable when your Order in GM VOMS is at Status 2500 and very reliable at Status=3000. (Some will say reliable only at 3100, but...)

Status 2500 and 3000 simply represent the steps in the sequential ordering and manufacturing planning processes used by GM. There are other threads here that give you the english definition of each status but 2500 means that your order has been 'sent to production' and is 'preferenced'. That really means that someone in Corvette Manufacturing Planning has selected your order for manufacturing planning (this is really just a computer algorithm whose results are approved by a Planner). Things can still change and sometimes do. The next step is for Manufacturing Planning and Control to accept your car's order for detailed planning... when that happens you get status = 3000.

Here's a listing of GM VOMS Order Status Codes I copied in:
1100-Order placed at dealer
1101-Order accepted by GM
2001-Order generated to dealer
2005-Order replaced with GM Prospec order
2050-Order changed
2500-Order sent to production, preferenced
3000-Order accepted by production control
3100-Order available to sequence (now the tpw becomes more stable)
3300-Order selected for production by assembly plant
3400-Order broadcasted for production
3800-Vehicle produced
4150-Vehicled invoiced to dealer
4200-Vehicle shipped
5000-Vehicle delivered to dealer
6000-Vehicle delivered to customer

If your selling dealer doesn't have an allocation, the order will sit at Status 1100 with no TPW.

Status 2500 will happen almost immediately for forum dealer's as they typically have sufficient open allocation slots. This is when you can get a TPW

Status 3000 may take a few days to a couple of weeks after reaching 2500 and depends on several characteristics about your selected options, Mfg plans, Colors, constraints, etc. You order wont las last very long at this status as Mfg PLanning moves it to 3100 pretty quickly (A few Days to about a week or so)

You can read the sequence of status codes / order steps in the little listing I copied into this thread above....

Using this list, You can back schedule from your TPW to see that each 3100, 3300, 3400 status can be only a limited amount of time if your TPW is to hold true. Ask your selling dealer to update you when the status changes or about 1/week if you want to keep track or the order's progress - your dealer can get the info from VOMS at any time.

When your order hits either 3300 or 3400 ( I don't remember specifically as I learned about this only after my vert was built), Kevin Torrence in Bowling Green can see the order and let you know what day it will start on the line and what day it will finish. I think he see's the order only about 1-2 weeks in advance notice of the cars first day ion the assembly line. I've seen other threads indicating that you can schedule to be on the production line with your car (For A Fee) by scheduling with Kevin or maybe via NCM- search these other threads for details...

BEWARE - the wait is from status 3800 "Produced" to 4200 "Shipped" is always the LONGEST! But don't worry, there is a built in 2 week 'hold period' after production is completed to ensure that the assembly plant can catch any QC problems and fix them prior to shipment to the dealer/customer. (That's really the way you'd want it to work - let the experts at the plant fix any issues!) Then Allied Trucking needs a full trailor (I've heard min=9 cars, but can't verify) into your geography to make it a cost effective route so that may take a few more days to build a shipment load.

The dealer wont see any status changes in VOMS during this periond until they're invoiced for the car (Status 4150). Invoicing to the dealer is typically a day before (Or on day of) the the shipping load is dispatched. Then it's only the number of miles and how many stops come before your dealer in the trucks route that dictate the time until delivery.
Hope this helps build you confidence and prep you to get the right data along the process. - Enjoy the Ride, It'll seem a lot longer than it really is!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Originally Posted by RicK T
Well, it's a start......but ONLY a start. The Order Number is generated when the dealer enters the order in GM's system. So, in and of itself, the order number doesn't mean they have an allocation. Having an order number puts your order at Status 1100. You want to see that change, quickly, to 2500, meaning it was picked up by GM.

Here's an old but good list and explanations that should help you.

thanks bro. i guessing the guy is straight up. he knows im on here and have all the info that can be gotten. plus 60 vettes a year is a pretty good number especially her on the gulf coast so they should have an early allocation. now i just hope it's mine...
Old 05-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Rick,

You are the man!

I agree Atomic Punk, this is just a start. You will have to get some sort of confirmation of the order. If they are not quick to order, go with someone else to get your new Corvette.

If it moves quickly though I would expect the Corvette to arrive within 6-8 weeks.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Brent
GM Customer Service
Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Rick,

You are the man!

I agree Atomic Punk, this is just a start. You will have to get some sort of confirmation of the order. If they are not quick to order, go with someone else to get your new Corvette.

If it moves quickly though I would expect the Corvette to arrive within 6-8 weeks.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Brent
GM Customer Service
thanks again. sorry to keep asking but how do i go about getting the confirmation of the order and when should that happen. the build does not start for three weeks. at what point would that happen? i don't want to be a nuisance to them...

Get notified of new replies

To gotta a question for my dealer & need some input....

Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

thanks again. sorry to keep asking but how do i go about getting the confirmation of the order and when should that happen. the build does not start for three weeks. at what point would that happen? i don't want to be a nuisance to them...
Order status won't change until Tuesday so it will be at least a week. If you have a good relationship with the dealership you shouldn't hesitate to contact your salesman and ask the question late Tuesday or Wednesday.

You state that "the build does not start for three weeks". Did your dealer tell you this? If so, that means that they are alluding to the fact that they all ready have a Target week for production and are basically telling you that your car will be in the build cycle in the first week of build for 2012 cars.

If you are of a mind, please PM me your order number.

Paul
Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by talon90
You state that "the build does not start for three weeks".
I wonder if they were just stating that the 2012 production starts in 3 weeks, not necessarily his order?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chevrolet is drooling for a sold Corvette order (SRE) so don't be surprised if the order gets preferenced immediately. Unless it's a constrained item or color, you may be pleasantly surprised.

There are dealers that have allocation but no buildable orders so your dealer can pick up your Corvette on a later pass.

Congrats by the way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gotta a question for my dealer & need some input....