C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.0L Turbocharged V8 - C7 Has This Been Posted?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 3.0L Turbocharged V8 - C7 Has This Been Posted?

Checking a few other Vette sites and ran across this story. I am not one to speculate or discuss rumors, but I found this to be very interesting and have not seen a word about it here on the forum.

Bottom line is we will not know anything for sure until the official announcement, but wonder what you all think?

Looks like this article was from May 25th according to the Detroit Bureau website.

In an article today, entitled "Next Corvette to Target Euro-Supercar Fans With Small, High-Revving Turbo V8," the DetroitBureau.com website states the following:

"Anxious to attract the sort of high-performance buyers increasingly drawn to European sports cars from the likes of Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini, General Motors is planning some major changes for the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette – starting with a high-revving, small-displacement powertrain, that will substitute for the big V8s traditionally found under the hood of the Chevy 2-seater.

Citing highly placed GM executives, the Bureau claims:

"GM has approved the use of a very European-style V8 that will be only slightly larger than 3 liters in displacement. The engine will be of an overhead-cam, rather than traditional overhead-valve design, using a dry sump oil system that’s particularly well-suited to high-performance road courses rather than straight-line acceleration. The engine is expected to feature a narrow 80.5 mm bore and a long stroke, more like a Ferrari or Lamborghini powertrain than the approach used for traditional Motor City metal.

The article continues:

A very senior GM executive also confirmed that the new engine will be turbocharged, which will help yield a broad torque curve and maximum performance under a variety of driving conditions. The engine is expected to deliver in excess of 400 horsepower, which means a specific output in the range of 125 horsepower per liter. That’s the sort of number that would help the next-gen Vette stack up well against the likes of a Porsche 911 or Lamborghini Gallardo.

Last edited by Swiftrider08; 05-31-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't seen anything about that. Wonder how much of that is true.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:39 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Let me get this straight, GM is willing on pissing off 30,000 plus (before the crash) Corvette buyers a year to attract a very small percentage of people who MIGHT (but won't) crossover from cars that even if every buyer of those makes switched would only make up about 20% of Corvette sales. And they think that buyers of $200,000 + Ferrari's are going to flock to a Corvette?

If it's true (which I'd bet money it's not) it would be the single stupidest marketing decision I've seen in the auto industry since GM came out with the Aztec. That they might be experimenting with such an engine would not surprise me - but I'd believe a 3.0 liter V6 far more than I'd believe a 3.0 liter V8.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

posted last week
Old 05-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jschindler
Let me get this straight, GM is willing on pissing off 30,000 plus (before the crash) Corvette buyers a year to attract a very small percentage of people who MIGHT (but won't) crossover from cars that even if every buyer of those makes switched would only make up about 20% of Corvette sales. And they think that buyers of $200,000 + Ferrari's are going to flock to a Corvette?

If it's true (which I'd bet money it's not) it would be the single stupidest marketing decision I've seen in the auto industry since GM came out with the Aztec. That they might be experimenting with such an engine would not surprise me - but I'd believe a 3.0 liter V6 far more than I'd believe a 3.0 liter V8.
I have to agree with you. This has to be about the dumbest thing I have seen yet to be mentioned about the C7. I really hope this does not signal the end of the Corvette as we know it.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
posted last week
Thanks for the input, but I did not see it posted last week. Got a link?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

posted last week

Old 05-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

posted last week
Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Thanks for the input, but I did not see it posted last week. Got a link?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-turbo-v8.html

That's why the forum has a search function.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:03 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

You know why Europeans buy Vettes, because it has an American V8 in it. If you're not unique what's the point?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 PM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

As long as it's a V8, I will still buy the Vette.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LTC Z06
You know why Europeans buy Vettes, because it has an American V8 in it. If you're not unique what's the point?
I bought my vette for the big V8 and love it. If they go supercharged or turbo with a 3.0 then I would probably buy a V6 FId car then.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

Right now the next power-plant appears to be the 5.5 ltr direct injection normally aspirated V8 now in use by the Corvette racing team.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
Right now the next power-plant appears to be the 5.5 ltr direct injection normally aspirated V8 now in use by the Corvette racing team.
How would the hp/tq curves look compared to the current engine? I had a 370Z before the vette and it was fast and all but you had to get it into its rpm range to have the power. With the V8 its kinda always there even tho there is more in its rpm range too. So Im wondering if the 5.5 will have to be revd to get its power?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
That's the info I had been hanging my hat on until I saw this. We have been talking about the 5.5 for a year now.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JimTN
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-turbo-v8.html

That's why the forum has a search function.
Duh. Never thought of the search function. One in every crowd, or in this, case two!

Search only responds to the words you type in, but you know that, your an expert.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,252 Likes on 916 Posts

I'm waiting on the C-7 with great interest myself. Rumors nothing but rumors. We should see in about two years.

Mike, glad to see you post, it has been a while.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 PM
C3-PO
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they change the "gills" to the 3-porthole configuration, the could call it a Buick! remember the old turbo 235 cu in. V-6? it would be the new "Regal Grand Sport".

Get notified of new replies

To 3.0L Turbocharged V8 - C7 Has This Been Posted?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

3 liter V8? Pistons would be about the size of the cap off a large aspirin bottle.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Excuse me while I go laugh uncontrollably.

Media = Clueless
Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My thoughts exactly. People who buy Porsches and Ferraris are generally not Corvette type folks - you can redesign, re-engineer and do whatever you want to it, it's still a GM product, and that's why they aren't buying it.

I sincerely hope they don't pull a boneheaded marketing move and alienate their bread-and-butter base.

Quick Reply: 3.0L Turbocharged V8 - C7 Has This Been Posted?