C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed the blendmount and plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:06 PM
ub2slow2

Default Just installed the blendmount and plug

I just got a Passport 9500IX the other day and my blendmount and direct wire harness for the mirror came in today so I installed them. I would highly recommend this set up if you have the Passport or Valentine one. Wasn't that hard to install (hell if I can do it anyone can) and it's nice and tight and clean with no wires running all over hell on your dash.

Probably took me about 45 minutes to put on the blendmount and only because I suck at that stuff, it was hot, there is no room in the Vette, and I couldn't see very good as it was dark in the garage but I got it in and tight, very tight. Took it out for a test ride and down the roughest road in town and it barely vibrated and never moved out of position which was AWESOME!!

Came home and unhooked the mirror plug from the back, slid the two wires into place (which did go in fairly easy using needle nose pliers) zip tied them tight and plugged it back in. Hit the start button and on popped the RD and went off when I shut the ignition off.

Now, I haven't driven the car yet so I'm not 100% in the clear, everything in the car could fry but I'm thinking I'm good to go.

I know a lot of people have talked about this set up or questioned if they want to do it. I'm here to tell you that you should do it. Wasn't hard, looks great, and I love the clean look.

Have a great weekend all
Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Like mine too.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:04 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I have a 9500ix on a visor mount with an Invisicord to the rearview mirror - like your installation, it's a very slick setup!!

I've had my 9500ix for more than 4 months now and it's a fantastic piece of gear!!!

You'll love the way it locks out all the false alerts that you got if you had another detector previously. The GPS feature will remember the location of X-band door openers and other stationary radar transmissions after you drive by them 3 times and, for your local area at least, you just won't get any alerts unless they're a source that you need to be concerned about.

Also, I was really surprised several weeks ago when driving around town at all the alerts I got for red-light cameras - I had no idea that so many of them had been installed in Daytona!!!

I just got back from a 2,500 mile road trip, and I got a bunch of red-light camera alerts in small towns that I just wouldn't think had installed them - and some of them are hard to see the cameras, but they're there when you know to look for them.

It also alerted numerous times with a "Speedtrap" audio alert. I only saw a LEO in one of those areas, but it's nice to know where they usually hang out.

Many times while driving down the Interstate I'd start getting beeps which continued for 3 or 4 miles before I finally got up to where a LEO was sampling traffic, so if they're using that type of technique you'll know they are there way before you get to them - i.e., it's VERY sensitive.

So....you'll love your new 9500ix - I know I love mine!!!

The GPS feature with the database of so much stuff is very valuable, and the lockout feature that does away with false alerts is great.

They update the database every week, and almost every week Florida is in the list of new data, so I update every Tuesday when the new database is made available.

I think you get about a month or two of free subscription updates, and after that I had to purchase a 3 year subscription for $39.95, which I consider well worth it.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-04-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: fixed price of subscription
Old 06-03-2011, 06:06 PM
WV Vette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have the same setup and it don't get much better for a detector set. Solid, no movement. Thinking about getting the Dashtronix and so it displys on the HUD and/or DIC
Old 06-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Flzlo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of you guys willing to share some pictures of your set up?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:33 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by Flzlo
Any of you guys willing to share some pictures of your set up?
Here's mine.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Flzlo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I like it. Am I looking at it right, it looks like it is wired directly to the mirror. How much trouble was it to connect it to the mirror?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by Flzlo
Nice! I like it. Am I looking at it right, it looks like it is wired directly to the mirror. How much trouble was it to connect it to the mirror?
Very easy. Unplug the connector-plug in 2 wires-plug connector in and done. 45 seconds max.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:35 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,811 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

This is the best thing going for radar detectors. I installed mine today in about an hour. Absolutely perfect. I've got my sun visor back!

Elmer
Old 06-04-2011, 07:12 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Here's a picture of my 9500ix mounted on my visor mount:

The visor mount attaches in such a manner that the bar the detector mounts on extends forward and out of the way of the visor.

It doesn't restrict the ability to flip the visor down to any angle you want.

I like the visor mount because the one on the mirror seems to hang down a little too low for me.

Bob
Old 06-04-2011, 07:25 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

The Passport indeed is a quality product...I'm on my 3rd now after being a customer for several years Too bad the makers of a 1st class product have such a sorry a$$ mount that you have to spend the extra $ for the aftermarket product. The Blendmount looks first class
Old 06-04-2011, 08:29 PM
1Corvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same setup, Blendmount with 9500ix. I am thoroughly pleased with both and highly recommend the setup. One thing I noted is that it takes a couple of minutes for the GPS to lock in since the antenna is on top of the RD and is partially blocked by the Blendmount. Once locked, no other issues. I bought the Mirror Tap wiring from Blendmount, slid in like a charm. Very nice setup and rock solid.

Get notified of new replies

To Just installed the blendmount and plug

Quick Reply: Just installed the blendmount and plug