C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAV on a 08 corvette with non-bose????

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 AM
SRuizV
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default NAV on a 08 corvette with non-bose????

I just bought my 08 corvette 1LT base model. I'm thinking about getting the OE navigation, since i would like to keep my car stock.
Would a OE navigation work on my 08 vette? I dont have the BOSE system, mine is just the regular stereo.

Thanx in advance
Old 06-08-2011, 03:26 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

It is doable, but a major job. Among other things you would have to find and splice into the VSS wire (velocity speed sensing) so that the navagation unit could determine the position of the car on the earth and its speed through space relative to its surroundings. You would need to install the Bose amplification sound system as this is how the voice function of the nav portion of the system communicates. If you don't have OnStar, you would need to install that as the OnStar microphone is used to communicate with the system. If you do a search here you will find some posts on what is involved in doing this, and brother, it is a real expensive and labor intensive proposition.

You would be much better served giving Dennis a call at Double D Mods (a forum vendor) and having him fix you up with a Kenwood or Pioneer Nav/Audio system. They are much more versatile (built-in Bluetooth for your cell phone and back-up camera and iPOD ready, for example; neither of which is available with the factory unit for '08). For around $1200 or so you can enjoy a real great system for less than half of what the factory set-up would cost and you can add the factory steering wheel radio controls if you wish.

I looked into doing this for my 2LT '08 coupe and decided to go with the Kenwood from Dennis instead and I love the unit - best mod I have done by far. (Except for maybe adding the HUD).

Last edited by vetteright; 06-08-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Content
Old 06-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Davelt1coupe2010
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I recently added the Kenwood 9980hd to my 2010 1lt coupe. It looks stock. In fact, when I went to the OHIO HUD install everyone thought it was the stock unit.

With the Kenwood you can also customize the startup flash screen with any logo...including corvette. You can also add a corvette car to the NAV.

the kenwood will also give you bluetooth for you phone and a rear view camera - about 300 buck more for the camera.

Dennis is the guy to get it from...he knows his stuff and very fair price.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 AM
ZBoater
Pro

+1 on the Kenwood. They still use Garmin software, correct?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBoater

+1 on the Kenwood. They still use Garmin software, correct?
That is correct; at least, mine does (DNX6960).
Old 06-08-2011, 12:23 PM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had bose and added factory nav to my c6, but i'd say its highly overrated. If I didn't have the bose, I would have gone Kenwood like other mentioned.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Davelt1coupe2010
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetteright
That is correct; at least, mine does (DNX6960).
yes for the 9980 as well.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Despite owning two other cars with non-GM nav systems, and two portable Garmins, and a cellphone with nav, I still like the factory nav in our C6.

But in your case, going aftermarket looks like the best way. Since you don't have a HUD to interface with the nav, you aren't "losing" that feature; and will get several other advantages.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:08 PM
SRuizV
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i really appreciate everyone help
i'll start looking into the kenwood unit

Get notified of new replies

To NAV on a 08 corvette with non-bose????

Quick Reply: NAV on a 08 corvette with non-bose????