C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infamous Key Fob not detected

Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Lotus77777
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Infamous Key Fob not detected

I have a 2008 C6 manual 6 speed. Starting today I drove to work and parked then went to go to lunch and now I get the message Key Fob not detected. I have FOB 1 and 2 here with me. I bought new Energizer batteries for both of them. I installed both batteries with the Positive side down.

I still get No fobs detected.

I then read in the owners manual that I can erase all FOBS and the Cars computer will reprogram them when NO recognized fobs are detected.

Please FOB in glovebox slot

Put your key in the trunk slot and turn 5 times fast.....I see on the DIC AutoLearn 10 minutes

Press Accessory to begin

Then after it counts down the 10 minutes it says Press Accessory again

This process per the manual is done 3 times in succession.

After the third 10 minute countdown I hear a beep and the DIC says Ready for Key FOB 1

Now here is the problem....the Manual says at this point when you see the Ready for Key Fob 1 message that all known transmitters have been erased.....

My problem is the FOB is still in the glove box slot and the message Ready for Key fob 1 goes away on the DIC after 5 minutes....So I dont know if I should Remove the FOB or what to do.

My question is for anyone who has Started from scratch to re program the fobs 1 and 2.

How long does the Ready for Key Fob 1 program last? In the manual it says after the Key Fob 1 is programmed that it will say Ready for Key Fob 2. That part never happens as the DIC just goes blank after 5 minutes using a stop watch.

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-10-2011, 02:31 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Stop!

There's no need to re-program the fobs when you replace their batteries.

Lots of possible causes for "NO FOB DETECTED."

RFI interference, like a new cell phone in the same pocket? Any work done on the car recently?

More likely, I'm guessing the car battery is weak/dying -- especially if it's the original.

I'd try a new well-charged car battery before investigating more costly (and less likely) possibilities... like a faulty computer module or the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver) module.

Edit: Did you try putting the fob in the glove box slot? This should work even if the fob battery is removed. Also, some folks have reported success by disconnecting the car battery for awhile. Might get you going after reconnecting it. But don't be mis-led... if you get it going, I suspect you'll get "NO FOB DETECTED" again until you find out what caused it.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 06-10-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Lotus77777
Pro

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Stop!

There's no need to re-program the fobs when you replace their batteries.

Lots of possible causes for "NO FOB DETECTED."

RFI interference, like a new cell phone in the same pocket? Any work done on the car recently?

More likely, I'm guessing the car battery is weak/dying -- especially if it's the original.

I'd try a new well-charged car battery before investigating more costly (and less likely) possibilities... like a faulty computer module or the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver) module.

Edit: Did you try putting the fob in the glove box slot? Also, some folks have reported success by disconnecting the car battery for awhile. Might get you going after reconnecting it. But don't be mis-led... if you get it going, I suspect you'll get "NO FOB DETECTED" again until you find out what caused it.
I have a 3 month old Optima Yellow top which even though I don't have a multimeter with me all of my lights seem to be very strong. Please remember I parked at my office this morning and the NO fobs detected started at lunch time.

I'm afraid I'm too far into this as The manual says once you have gotten to the point where it says Ready for Fob #1 that the computer has already erased the original recognized FObs and now is reprogramming the Fobs again from scratch.

My question is how long does it take to program the first key fob when the DIC says Ready for Key Fob #1 ?

Thanks
MIke

PS My Vette is 100% stock. NO mods at all. All 100% factory. I have had no work done on it. Im the second owner. My vin is past the Recall they had back in 2008 so I guess the Receiver was not affected.

Last edited by Lotus77777; 06-10-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Lotus77777
Pro

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot

Edit: Did you try putting the fob in the glove box slot? This should work even if the fob battery is removed. Also, some folks have reported success by disconnecting the car battery for awhile. Might get you going after reconnecting it. But don't be mis-led... if you get it going, I suspect you'll get "NO FOB DETECTED" again until you find out what caused it.
Yes before I tried all of this I read from the manual that you simply put the recognized key fob in the Glove box slot and then Press the clutch in and Press the Start button. I see the Start button turn green and then I get the message Key Fob not detected.

So after trying with bot key fobs with the key pad facing the right side I then proceeded to the next part of the manual where it tells you how to program a key fob when NO Fobs are recognized.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:10 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I have discovered that, in my case, this has been happening because of the fob being in the same hand/pocket as my cell phone. When I keep the two devices separated, voila....no issue.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Lotus77777
Pro

Originally Posted by tonypittman
I have discovered that, in my case, this has been happening because of the fob being in the same hand/pocket as my cell phone. When I keep the two devices separated, voila....no issue.

Thanks Tony.....I tried leaving my cellphone in at my desk and then going to the Vette and trying again. I tried all of that before going into the programing menu.....

Now Im at the point where the Fobs have been deleted and the Vette needs to reprogram them. Im wondering how long this process takes one you see Key FOB #1 ready message on the DIC.

Did anyone actually take a look at the Slot in their Glovebox to see what type of connnection is there to accept the Fob? I took a pic of mine and there is nothing that would make contact with the actual fob. I would have thought there is an actual harness that when you slide the Fob into the slot with the buttons to the right they would mate to the FOB slot harness.....On my Glovebox there is no Harness to mate with that I can see. All I see is a hole inside the slot.

Last edited by Lotus77777; 06-10-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:44 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotus77777
Thanks Tony.....I tried leaving my cellphone in at my desk and then going to the Vette and trying again. I tried all of that before going into the programing menu.....

Now Im at the point where the Fobs have been deleted and the Vette needs to reprogram them. Im wondering how long this process takes one you see Key FOB #1 ready message on the DIC.

Did anyone actually take a look at the Slot in their Glovebox to see what type of connnection is there to accept the Fob? I took a pic of mine and there is nothing that would make contact with the actual fob. I would have thought there is an actual harness that when you slide the Fob into the slot with the buttons to the right they would mate to the FOB slot harness.....On my Glovebox there is no Harness to mate with that I can see. All I see is a hole inside the slot.
The entire process takes ~ 30 minutes. If you have gone to the program fob 1 and have finished the steps and the system is not going further, e.g., ready for fob 2, you may be one of the few that the long procedure does not work. I would do the following:

1. put the fob in the slot and try starting the car. If it starts, I would drive to the nearest dealer and try the procedure again. (So if it doesn't work, you don't need a tow!)

2. If the car will not start, start the procedure over again - maybe it works this time - be sure you follow the manual exactly.

3. If it still does not program, be sure you have ample battery power. If you do - call for a tow to the dealer. The dealer will use a Tech II to program the fobs.

4. Figure out why the fobs were not recognized. The ONLY time you need to reprogram a fob using the long procedure is when you lose all of your recognized fobs and you need to start from scratch. Use the short procedure when you need to ADD a fob to your kit.

The slot uses induction
Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 PM
holywha
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure where the trunk key attaches to fob is pointing towards you. Took me a while to figure this out when reprogramming a fob. Fob doesn't actually plug into anything...
The following users liked this post:
Ole Bird (03-07-2020)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

It sounds like you’re doing all of the right things. If you still have questions, though, I would talk to CCLive. He really knows FOBs and could save you a trip to the dealer.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Ole Bird (03-07-2020)
Old 06-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Lotus77777
Pro

Originally Posted by holywha
Make sure where the trunk key attaches to fob is pointing towards you. Took me a while to figure this out when reprogramming a fob. Fob doesn't actually plug into anything...
Thanks everyone for jumping in and giving me ideas....

Before I started all of this LONG programming stage I did put the fob in the glove slot and tried to start it....Still got the NO Fob detected message.

I just asked one of my friends at work to use his jumper cables and I connected them properly using the Directions in the manual and on the top of the fuse cover on how to jump start the Vette.

With my Optima battery connected to my Friends car and his car running I tried again and still get no fobs detected. I dont think power is my problem..

Now as far as inserting the Fob into the Slot.......I have the Key detached from the Fob and placing the Fob in the slot with the buttons to the right . I can see the number one on the top of the fob when Im facing the Glove box.

Could this be my problem as Im not inserting the FOb the correct way into the Slot?

Do I need the Key in the bottom of the FOB and then place the FOb with the keys to the right so the bottom of the Key is facing me?

Mike
Ole Bird (03-07-2020)
Old 06-10-2011, 05:01 PM
holywha
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lotus77777
Do I need the Key in the bottom of the FOB and then place the FOb with the keys to the right so the bottom of the Key is facing me?

Mike
You dont need the key in the fob, but I think you have it in reverse. You want the end that you insert the key pointing towards you...You shouldn't see the fob number.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:57 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

You dont need the key in the fob, but I think you have it in reverse. You want the end that you insert the key pointing towards you...You shouldn't see the fob number.
buttons to the right, key end facing out.
Ole Bird (03-07-2020)
Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Lotus77777
Pro

I want to thank everyone that has given me tips on this.....I would like to say I took the advise of facing the FOB with the keys to the right and the bottom of the FOB has the Key facing me.

I went through the LONG programming process specified in the owners manual. Three 10 minute sessions with pressing the Accessory button in between the sessions. Then it got to the part where it says Key FOB #1 ready. This is where it timed out last time and the DIC went blank.

Well the great news is this time it only took about 30 seconds and then I saw Key Fob 2 Ready.....I was so excited all my friends here at work were standing around my Vette and I gave them all high fives. I then put in the second key fob and within 30 seconds it says Key FOB 3 ready. I didn't have a third fob so I pressed the ignition button and that takes you out of programming mode.

I then instantly saw my dash board light up so I knew something was different. I pressed the Ignition button and the Vette started right up and even after all this monkeying around the Optima Yellow top was at 14v....I love that Optima.

I have not been on the Forum much, but thanks again to everyone....I hope I can return the favor someday on here...

Mike
The following 4 users liked this post by Lotus77777:
07LeMansC6Z06 (05-06-2019), LatinHeat33 (12-15-2023), Ole Bird (03-07-2020), S.C. vette (05-28-2018)
Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 PM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me with my 2008 A6 coupe last weekend. Left a restaurant after breakfast and "No Fobs Detected". I had the #1 fob in my pocket (no cell phone) and the #2 fob was at home, so I laid the fob on the console - still not detected. I put the fob in the glove box slot - same thing. Fortunately, I had a small tool roll in the rear storage compartment, so I used a 10mm socket to disconnect the battery for about 2 minutes. Hooked the battery back up and everything worked normally again (after reindexing the windows). It has been fine since and the AC Delco battery is about 8 months old. I'm thinking "solar flares"......
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 04-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Sweet99z
4th Gear

Old thread but thank god I found it. I tried the reset procedure multiple times and was ready to drag the car to a dealer when I saw this thread and flipped the fob around. Like magic the car started.
Ole Bird (03-07-2020)
Old 04-04-2015, 10:19 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

In my 2005 owners manual it has a drawing of how the fob goes into the slot-they don't have that in the '08?
Old 04-04-2015, 02:42 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I would just shake my fob when that happened in my 08's..and 05...

Get notified of new replies

To Infamous Key Fob not detected

Old 05-20-2015, 10:55 PM
Smokn13
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default no fob detected

I received the dreaded "no fob detected" about a month ago on my 2013 Grand Sport and immediately looked on the forum for answers. I was reluctant to try the 30 minute reset of the fobs as suggested in the manual and on the forum, but because it would not start even with the fob in the glove box slot, I decided it was worth it. No luck. Because it would not start, my only option was to have it towed, but I was avoiding that at all costs. I decided to bring the car's battery in to the dealer to be tested as someone thought that could be the issue. Battery was good. However, by having the car battery disconnected for a day, it must have reset something and the car started with the fob in the glove box slot. I was then happy to be able to drive it to the dealer. Long story a little shorter, it was a bad fob receiver module in the vehicle which was replaced under warranty and now I am back on the road. A very long and painful process, but the weather has not been very nice this spring, so I lost very little drive time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Smokn13:
Ole Bird (03-07-2020), PUREVOL (06-10-2019)
Old 11-15-2015, 04:06 PM
Mckane1
Navigator

Thanks so much Holywha! I had to do the long version to replace the #1 fob lost and was about to tow to a dealer when I saw this and yup I was inserting the fob with the open (key) end in. started over and put the fob in key opening out buttons facing passenger door and whala! Thanks again so very much!!
Ole Bird (03-07-2020)
Old 11-16-2015, 11:34 AM
holywha
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mckane1
Thanks so much Holywha! I had to do the long version to replace the #1 fob lost and was about to tow to a dealer when I saw this and yup I was inserting the fob with the open (key) end in. started over and put the fob in key opening out buttons facing passenger door and whala! Thanks again so very much!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infamous Key Fob not detected