C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can C6 headlight lenses be polished?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Can C6 headlight lenses be polished?

By now we've all seen the whirling sponge thingies that can polish badly oxidized headlights. Can our plastic headlight lenses be polished to remove those hundreds of tiny sand/rock dings that accumulate over the years? I'm thinking about using something extremely fine like Griot's #4 polish (#11091).
Old 06-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

You have to be careful when sanding/polishing the lenses. There is a coating on them that prevents them from turning yellow from the sun. Of course, it is the coating that turns yellow over time
If you polish that coating off your headlights will prematurely become translucent. Those little nicks and chips while irritating are nothing of you remove the coating and end up with yellow/translucent lenses.
I am experimenting with a brand new system that recoats the lenses and is warrantied for 2 years plus.
It is very different than anything I have seen to date for lens correction.
FYI, I own my own detail shop and do headlight restorations as a service.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:36 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
You have to be careful when sanding/polishing the lenses. There is a coating on them that prevents them from turning yellow from the sun. Of course, it is the coating that turns yellow over time
If you polish that coating off your headlights will prematurely become translucent. Those little nicks and chips while irritating are nothing of you remove the coating and end up with yellow/translucent lenses.
I am experimenting with a brand new system that recoats the lenses and is warrantied for 2 years plus.
It is very different than anything I have seen to date for lens correction.
FYI, I own my own detail shop and do headlight restorations as a service.
I love it when someone responds to a thread with useful information . Sounds like good advice .
Please keep us posted with the results of your new produce
Old 06-19-2011, 03:39 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used Zaino's plastic polish on Will red c6's left headlight lens yesterday (thread tittled c6..GR8 Day posted yesterday). It was hazed and now its as clear as the other side. This polish is very mild and ive used it on other lens over the years with no repercussions.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
I used Zaino's plastic polish on Will red c6's left headlight lens yesterday (thread tittled c6..GR8 Day posted yesterday). It was hazed and now its as clear as the other side. This polish is very mild and ive used it on other lens over the years with no repercussions.
Griot's #4 is about as fine as jeweller's rouge or the classic Liquid Ebony. I'm thinking manual (not power tool) application of very fine polish on an occasional (yearly?) basis might be about right. Grzldvt1's warning not to remove the anti-UV coating would seem to rule out the use of steel wool or abrasive paper of any kind.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:38 PM
gerryt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zaino-Man strikes again.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Good to know. You just saved me from making a big mistake. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

For new(er) headlights, keep it waxed/sealed as you would the paint. As far as repair, sand and reclear coat them. How do I know... I just got replacement headlights after the clear started peeling away along the edges. I tried to give the dealership my money to refurb them but they said No (wow, I know lol) they "good faithed" new units after warranty!
As far as pitting from debris, depending on depth I dont see much of a remedy.
Remember when you wax/seal the vette, include the headlights
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
Griot's #4 is about as fine as jeweller's rouge or the classic Liquid Ebony. I'm thinking manual (not power tool) application of very fine polish on an occasional (yearly?) basis might be about right. Grzldvt1's warning not to remove the anti-UV coating would seem to rule out the use of steel wool or abrasive paper of any kind.

Thanks.
always keep a ton of layers of a good polymer on it.... yes.. I recommend Zaino of course... but Rejex works too. Novis makes a good plastic polish also, make sure to get the mild level because it comes in 3 different levels......if you choose to try that.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Be careful with the products you use on the headlight lens. Before I decided to apply the clear film on the lens (or not), I researched plastic crazing, Lexan crazing, and polycarbonate crazing. I found that several petroleum distillates can micro etch the surface which with either internal material stress or mechanical stress can cause crazing. The only one I remember is products made with ketones. as a base, can cause crazing very quickly. Use very mild products on the lens, preferably water based. Even IPA I would dilute.

Crazing is a well known problem in the boating and aircraft industry.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread is funny to me because just recently (about 1 month ago) I used a friend of mines "$600" headlight restoration kit that he uses at his shop. I've seen the results from this kit and it's unbelievable. Long story short my headlights look like they've been dragged across pavement for 100 straight miles. I bought new lenses though so all is well!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 AM
BRTC5
Racer

i just use adams paint correction kit. I started with swirl and haze remover (orange) and then polished it out with the white pad and fine machine polish. worked as well as any kit and it still looks great. Did in Sept i think. Hope this is helpful.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Novis makes a good plastic polish also, make sure to get the mild level because it comes in 3 different levels......if you choose to try that.
Yup ... Novis is about as good as you will ever get as far as plastic polish.

I use it to polish the clear visors on motorcycle helmets.

If your headlight lenses are in pretty bad shape, I would use the #3 Heavy scratch remover, followed by the #2 Fine scratch remover.

If the headlight lenses are just discolored or hazed, use just the Novis #2.

They also make a #1 in a spray bottle, that is very very fine, but really only good for cleaning and a applying a light polish to the plastic lenses ... Too fine for removed hazing or swirl scratches in the plastic.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:15 AM
naples53
Racer

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
This thread is funny to me because just recently (about 1 month ago) I used a friend of mines "$600" headlight restoration kit that he uses at his shop. I've seen the results from this kit and it's unbelievable. Long story short my headlights look like they've been dragged across pavement for 100 straight miles. I bought new lenses though so all is well!
Where did you buy JUST the lenses?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:25 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I got it from a guy on the forum for $200 for both. I think there is a guy on here named RLSebring who sells them as well for around $300 or so. I haven't installed mine yet I'm waiting for my car to get repainted and will do it then. The install is very hard. I need the instructions on how to do it. Until I get those I won't attempt it. But that's another issue: the instructions are a closely guarded secret...
Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 PM
TarHeelDon
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BE VERY CAREFUL polishing and sanding your lights.....there is a protective coat on them and if you burn throught it your gonna have a noticeable spot that is more clear than the surrounding headlight and you will either be left with this flaw or you will be replacing a lense....I was removing a decent size scratch and found my way into this other layer.....I should have taken a pic but i did not. Just be careful....I normally zaino my headlights as I am Zaino-ing the rest of the car....they look great.....the scratch was a fluke from a piece of rock.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Several of the kits on the market include the rejuvinator / clear coat solution. I started on the wet sanding and polishing, but mine appearently look like the guys above, I finally gave up an did the new lenses as above, little bit of work but well worth it!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Can C6 headlight lenses be polished?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Gentlemen, Gentlemen--not to be the Spelling Police, but just so our colleagues can find the product, note

NOVUS Plastic Polish

always keep a ton of layers of a good polymer on it.... yes.. I recommend Zaino of course... but Rejex works too. Novis makes a good plastic polish also, make sure to get the mild level because it comes in 3 different levels......if you choose to try that.
Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Yup ... Novis is about as good as you will ever get as far as plastic polish.

I use it to polish the clear visors on motorcycle helmets.

If your headlight lenses are in pretty bad shape, I would use the #3 Heavy scratch remover, followed by the #2 Fine scratch remover.

If the headlight lenses are just discolored or hazed, use just the Novis #2.

They also make a #1 in a spray bottle, that is very very fine, but really only good for cleaning and a applying a light polish to the plastic lenses ... Too fine for removed hazing or swirl scratches in the plastic.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 PM
montereyred
Advanced

any addtl info on the headlight lens pitting eliminator that you referenced?
my 07 has major pitting and I need HELP!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 PM
montereyred
Advanced

Default novus plastic polish,,,, plus static headlight covers

I realize that if I were to use a headlight retsoration kit that it would basically eliminate the clear coat that covers the headlight lens. I have purchased the pre-cut (generic) static film headlights cover product with the intent that that would replace the need for UV coating on the lens as my c6 is in the garage 95% of the time all year.
I have the same problem with the foglights.
By the way, not completely my fault as I bought my 07 "pre-owned" with 49k on the odometer. Ive put 3k on it in the past year.
any help would be appreciated!

montyred

Quick Reply: Can C6 headlight lenses be polished?