Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
BLU JET 07
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Clicking noise from gear shifter area when brake pedal is pressed-normal?

I have a '07 A6 C6 with 23K on the clock and starting yesterday I heard something I never heard before-- when I step on the brake pedal to shift out of park, there is a pronouned "click" coming from the shifter area before I even touch the shifter. I was thinking it may be the brake/ shifter interlock mechanism starting to fail but the shifter lock does not move out of the park position unless the brake is pressed so it works as advertised. Any Ideas? Thanks John
BLU JET 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
blkvet6
CF Senior Member

OMG, yes it's completely normal.... don't worry about it. (It's what allows you to move the shifter out of park once you depress the brake pedal.)
blkvet6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
MHFontaine
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to MHFontaine Send a message via Skype™ to MHFontaine

Ha...I have a 2011 GS A6 ( 3 weeks old, 600 miles on the clock) and the same thing happens to me...I step on the break and I hear a clicking noise coming from the passenger floor board area...you beat me to the post...WTH ?!?!

"...All The Girls I've Loved Before..."
1998 Torch Red/Oak C5 Coupe
1999 Lt Pewter Metalic/Black C5 Hard Top
2005 Black/Black/Black Nissan 350Z Convertible
2007 Black/Ebony C6 Coupe
2011 Torch Red/Ebony/Black C6 GS Convertible
2012 Arctic White/Red/Black C6 GS Convertible
2014 Blade Silver/Jet Black Stingray M7 Z51 Coupe
MHFontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
ITSGRAND
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHFontaine View Post
Ha...I have a 2011 GS A6 ( 3 weeks old, 600 miles on the clock) and the same thing happens to me...I step on the break and I hear a clicking noise coming from the passenger floor board area...you beat me to the post...WTH ?!?!
You are hearing the brake light and other relays. They are insanely loud in this car.
ITSGRAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
GARYFINN
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSGRAND View Post
You are hearing the brake light and other relays. They are insanely loud in this car.
common problem
GARYFINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Chevy Cust Svc
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU JET 07 View Post
I have a '07 A6 C6 with 23K on the clock and starting yesterday I heard something I never heard before-- when I step on the brake pedal to shift out of park, there is a pronouned "click" coming from the shifter area before I even touch the shifter. I was thinking it may be the brake/ shifter interlock mechanism starting to fail but the shifter lock does not move out of the park position unless the brake is pressed so it works as advertised. Any Ideas? Thanks John
If the guys on here are saying itís a normal condition, then Iíd be likely to believe them. However, if youíre nervous you can always get it checked out.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Chevy Cust Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
c5streak
CF Senior Member

If it just started then you may indeed be having an issue with the park shift interlock. Our '08 started clicking loudly at about 20k and you could feel it distinctly vibrating through the shift ****. It started suddenly, it was not normal, and it was not the brake relay. It was the shift interlock failing. The whole shifter has to be replaced, ours was still under warranty, so I don't have an idea on price. I would say if it suddenly started making the noise, then it's not normal. Otherwise it would have been doing it all along. Good luck!
c5streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
GS-Zero
CF Senior Member

That happens in every automatic car. It's releasing the lock on the gear selector. You're also hearing the brake light relay, a sound that comes from underneath the passenger's side floorboard and is unnecessarily loud.
GS-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
lastcowboy
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU JET 07 View Post
wrong fuse for brake...
lastcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
lastcowboy
CF Senior Member

CORRECT FUSE 5 PRONG

Click the image to open in full size.
lastcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
BLU JET 07
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5streak View Post
If it just started then you may indeed be having an issue with the park shift interlock. Our '08 started clicking loudly at about 20k and you could feel it distinctly vibrating through the shift ****. It started suddenly, it was not normal, and it was not the brake relay. It was the shift interlock failing. The whole shifter has to be replaced, ours was still under warranty, so I don't have an idea on price. I would say if it suddenly started making the noise, then it's not normal. Otherwise it would have been doing it all along. Good luck!

Thanks. I will have it looked into as a precaution since I'm headed on a 5,000 mile round trip to WI for Oshkosh Air Adventure in late July or just have it looked at upon arrival when I get there
BLU JET 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Clicking noise from gear shifter area when brake pedal is pressed-normal?

Tags
2008, area, brake, braking, clicking, coming, corvette, lever, makes, noise, pedal, pressed, shift, shifter, sound, step