C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Tour of Yellowstone National Park

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 PM
corvette62
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Tour of Yellowstone National Park

Has anyone toured Yellowstone National Park in a Vette? I know most roads are paved, however is there any concern about rock (chat) roads or any other hazards? We would only be touring the highlights.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:05 PM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't help, not in a Vette.

But we did it this winter, 300 inches of snow in a Cat track vehicle. That's the only way you can get in and out in the winter. It was beautiful there.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 PM
LTVN68
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I tried to get into Yellowstone coming down from Laurel, MT in a new Z in late May. Beartooth Pass 30' of snow......Yellowstone Park.....snow every day.....so I did not get in. However, if you get to Yellowstone, don't miss Cody, Wyoming and the Buffalo Bill Museum. I stayed at The Cowboy Village....nice rooms in log cabins.....and had a great steak at the Wyoming Steak and Chop House. Great historic town where mountain man Jeremiah Johnson is buried. Great country. I am sure the roads will be fine.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The park has great roads. If you go, you MUST drive Beartooth Pass, from Red Lodge Montana, thru Wyoming, and back into Cooke City Montana. That is right at the northeast entrance of the park. So beautiful! Been on the pass 7 years in a row. Takes your breath away! Search my thread from last week titled "2 fun in Raazor country"!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 PM
laread
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We toured Yellowstone July 2010. The roads are good but there were a lot of people there. Be sure to allow plenty of time as sometimes traffic is stopped or moving pretty slow. This happens when someone notices wildlife and stops to watch. The road isn't wide enough to allow the other traffic to get around the parked cars.

I had a hard time finding a parking place away from all the other vehicles at the major attractions like "Old Faithful". The scenery was great.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I've done it more than a few times in different vehicles including my C6. Roads are good in the park, construction can be an issue. Remember that everyone stops to watch wildlife if you want to or not so give yourself plenty of time. Avoid long weekends or weekends at all if you can. Beartooth and the pass near it are amazing. Don't forget the Grand Tetons, easy driving but the Tetons are amazing. Fill up away from the park. Jackson, Cody, etc.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

all roads are paved in & out of the park. the parking lots for camping are not. some of the roads east & south of the park are a bit rough but paved.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 PM
wombats777
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-17-'18-'19, '21,'24

Roads are fine but traffic can be a PITA during peak season.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:34 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All roads in and out of the park are usually paved. We ran into 8 miles of gravel starting at the east entrance back in 2007 . You might want o double check the road conditions (IIRC, they post them on the website).

Otherwise, it was a great way to see the park. Ran into two other Vettes - looked like mom and daughter in one, and dad and son in the other.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by laread
We toured Yellowstone July 2010. The roads are good but there were a lot of people there. Be sure to allow plenty of time as sometimes traffic is stopped or moving pretty slow. This happens when someone notices wildlife and stops to watch. The road isn't wide enough to allow the other traffic to get around the parked cars.

I had a hard time finding a parking place away from all the other vehicles at the major attractions like "Old Faithful". The scenery was great.
We had eight Vettes at Yellowstone three years ago. The roads are very good. To solve the problem of finding parking spots at the attractions, the driver being able to watch the scenery, etc, we stayed in Gardiner, Mt and had a tour bus pick us up at the motel ~7 Am. The bus took us all over the park, stopping at the attractions, letting us off the bus, and then picking us up later, etc. The driver had a PA system and was constantly telling us about the park and the wildlife. That alone was worth the price of the bus tour. The tour bus dropped us off at our motel around 6:30 that evening.

We were able to get close and personal with the park, while our Vettes were safe in the motel parking lot. Both occupants of each Vette were able to relax and enjoy the scenery, as they were both riding in the bus, sitting high where they could see over the large amount of cars in the park, while some wide body Mom pushing a baby stroller, was between someone else's cars, not our Vettes, in the various attraction's parking lots.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 AM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were there in July of '09 and the roads were horrible in certain areas. They were doing road contruction at that time though too so things may be different now. We didn't even get to see certain parts of it because I didn't want to deal with the roads in those areas. I talked to some bikers and they recommended I avoid certain areas.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:43 PM
corvette62
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone that replied to my request of touring Yellowstone in a C6 vette. We are going to give it a try. Just seems like the thing to do. May consider the park, tour bus, option once there. We have about a 1000 mile trip to get there. Even that will be enjoyable in a vette.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:51 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

They have tour busues out of Gardiner, Mt., Mammouth Hot Springs(in yellowstone park) and West Yellowstone, MT.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by corvette62
Thanks to everyone that replied to my request of touring Yellowstone in a C6 vette. We are going to give it a try. Just seems like the thing to do. May consider the park, tour bus, option once there. We have about a 1000 mile trip to get there. Even that will be enjoyable in a vette.
make sure to post the pics
Old 07-03-2011, 03:39 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

We did the Tetons and Yellowstone last June. At the Yellowstone Inn there was a group of Corvettes from Illinois, must have been about 10 of them. We saw them throughout the park during our 4 day stay.
Some of the roads are really rough in the park.

Last edited by ladder13; 07-03-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:52 PM
usraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchsport
The park has great roads. If you go, you MUST drive Beartooth Pass, from Red Lodge Montana, thru Wyoming, and back into Cooke City Montana. That is right at the northeast entrance of the park. So beautiful! Been on the pass 7 years in a row. Takes your breath away! Search my thread from last week titled "2 fun in Raazor country"!
I rode it on my Harley three years ago and it is absolutely beautiful. I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Tour of Yellowstone National Park

Quick Reply: C6 Tour of Yellowstone National Park