C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best track day tires? Best pads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:30 PM
cincykid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best track day tires? Best pads?

I am looking for a set 18 & 19" tires for my stock rims so I can take my C6 to Putnam before the end of the year with 10/10ths group. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have different rims and tires on the car now so the stock rims will strictly be for track days. Also, which hawk pads are best for the track?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 PM
HeavyRightFooT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there , for track pads on street tires: carbotech xp10 in front and Xp8 rear. rotor friendly and still usable on the street if u don't mind a bit of brake dust and some squealing ...
Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by cincykid
I am looking for a set 18 & 19" tires for my stock rims so I can take my C6 to Putnam before the end of the year with 10/10ths group. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have different rims and tires on the car now so the stock rims will strictly be for track days. Also, which hawk pads are best for the track?
What tire will you be using on the track?
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I personally believe there're benefits to tracking your car on street tires for a period of time when first starting out (before going on to more track oriented tires). Also, if you think you'll get into the sport you might be better served ditching your stock wheels and looking for some wider 18" rims all-around. The combination 'street/track' tires (Nittos, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, etc.) will be an improvement over OEM runflats but I think you'll find to be competitive you'll need true, sticky track tires (Hoosier R6, Kumho 710, Michelin slicks, etc.). Just a thought.

I can't remember exactly which Hawk pads I used to use with the OEM brakes but I liked the Performance Friction C5 Z-compound pads best. Good luck whichever you go with. Stay safe and have a blast!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From reading up on this extensively, for beginners and intermediate drivers, the NT-05's seem to be popular as a cheaper and lighter choice, while the Hoosiers are a better choice for the faster intermediate and advanced drivers.

Ive only researched GS/Z06 sizes, so their may be more choices in the narrower tires.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

NT05s don't perform quite as good as the GY EMTs. At least in the Z06 sizes. The EMTs are pretty good track tires. However, the NTs will out wear the GYs by a lot. Just finished 26 track days on my NTs. Also had about 500 street miles on them and a couple dozen autocrosses. At about 100 miles per track day they did well. At my last autocross the tires didn't seem to stick well even though there are a couple 32nds of tread left so I suspect they are pretty much heat cycled out and ready for the trash can.

It is hard to say what pad you should use since I don't know your driving level. A novice can easily get by on stock pads although to counteract pad taper issues they should swap the front pads from one side of the car to the other after the first day (inside driver side pad becomes outside passenger side pad, etc). This will minimize the affects of pad taper and keep the brake pedal higher. Hawk HP+ is what I favor from on an overall cost/performance basis although I tend to overheat them. There are other pads such as PFC, Wilwood, Carbotech and Cobalt that work better at high temps but they cost more and have their own issues.

Bill
Old 07-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think you're doing the right thing going with a seperate track set up, as you can really start chunking out expensive stockers when pushing it. I went the same route, and it's Hoosier R6's on the 2nd set. Actually did some light rain grooving work, as drive these to/from the track. My cars a ZO6 and the stock pads are pretty good. Wear through them though, and luckily was able to get a few lightly used sets from other forum members.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM
JJKJ
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
NT05s don't perform quite as good as the GY EMTs. At least in the Z06 sizes. The EMTs are pretty good track tires. However, the NTs will out wear the GYs by a lot. Just finished 26 track days on my NTs. Also had about 500 street miles on them and a couple dozen autocrosses. At about 100 miles per track day they did well. At my last autocross the tires didn't seem to stick well even though there are a couple 32nds of tread left so I suspect they are pretty much heat cycled out and ready for the trash can.

It is hard to say what pad you should use since I don't know your driving level. A novice can easily get by on stock pads although to counteract pad taper issues they should swap the front pads from one side of the car to the other after the first day (inside driver side pad becomes outside passenger side pad, etc). This will minimize the affects of pad taper and keep the brake pedal higher. Hawk HP+ is what I favor from on an overall cost/performance basis although I tend to overheat them. There are other pads such as PFC, Wilwood, Carbotech and Cobalt that work better at high temps but they cost more and have their own issues.

Bill
Bill, how aggressive was the alignment you were running with the NT-05's? Like you said, that's pretty impressive for them to hold up to that much track time.

One thing the OP needs to consider that is causing me some concern is alignment with track and street tires. From what I've read, the A6/R6 will both wear prematurely if you're not running -1.5 to -2.0 deg camber. Those settings in turn will cause street tires to wear prematurely.

If the NT-05's would live a decent life at a compromised aggressive street alignment, they'd be an attractive option.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I'd run Toyo R888's as these are a DOT "drive to the track and back" tire and I've been using Carbotech's. The good about Carbotechs-you will stop. The bad-You will wear out rotors. I'm going to try some Hawks my next track day and see how those go.

BTW- I've ran XP8/10 and also the RP2's.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:14 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I too run Nitto NT05's and Carbotech XP10 and XP8's
Old 07-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by VatorMan
I'd run Toyo R888's as these are a DOT "drive to the track and back" tire and I've been using Carbotech's. The good about Carbotechs-you will stop. The bad-You will wear out rotors. I'm going to try some Hawks my next track day and see how those go.

BTW- I've ran XP8/10 and also the RP2's.
This is odd, Carbotech is a rotor friendly pad. our pads may wear faster but are alot more friendly to rotors than Hawk. The RP2 is designed as an endurance compound so I can see that as something has to give I.E. rotor or the pad.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Hawk HPS pads are pretty similar to the stock pads, so they can be overheated at the track. I also have tried Hawk HP+ pads. They are more heat resistant, but the dust they leave is really hard to remove, especially if it gets wet. I really didn't like them. I've been running PFC01 pads for the last several years and I really like them. Bondurant was running them when I attended and I was impressed with them there. Haven't tried the Carbotech pads.

- Mark
Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll be getting Carbotech XP8 pads

Get notified of new replies

To Best track day tires? Best pads?

Quick Reply: Best track day tires? Best pads?