C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Clutch Fluid - Modified Ranger Method

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:39 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

You can get the syringe at Walmart for under $3 and you don't need any of the tubing. The Prestone DOT 4 is about $3 at Walmart also. There's $6-7 vs $31
Old 06-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,141 Posts

I just did this just 30 minutes ago.

My question is, after you do the flush and fill, then pump the pedal, are you guys going for a quick drive before repeating it? Or just keep doing it until the fluid in the reservoir stays clear?

Because my fluid was dark brown. Did the flush and fill, pumped the pedal about 30 times. Then checked and it was light brown. Should i have just kept going??

And are you supposed to pump the pedal with the cap open or closed?
Old 06-02-2016, 12:47 AM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I just did this just 30 minutes ago.

My question is, after you do the flush and fill, then pump the pedal, are you guys going for a quick drive before repeating it? Or just keep doing it until the fluid in the reservoir stays clear?

Because my fluid was dark brown. Did the flush and fill, pumped the pedal about 30 times. Then checked and it was light brown. Should i have just kept going??

And are you supposed to pump the pedal with the cap open or closed?

Cap,closed pumping pedal..
First time I did mine I kept going until it was clear. Then every 2-4 weeks I would just suction out the reservoir and replace. That ps me. I'm **** and keep it clean. Takes 5 minutes so no big deal
The following users liked this post:
phils C5 vette (03-10-2018)
Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 AM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As whit1 said, be sure to have the cap closed before pumping or else you might have a mess on your hands.

Also as whit1 said, I did mine several times until the fluid was nearly clear and then after that you can check it occasionally and do it again as necessary to keep the fluid clean. I do mine once or twice a year and it seems to work fine.

In the process, be sure you do not get any of the fluid on your paint!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:16 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

You can put the cap on loosely or put a shop rag over the top to keep brake fluid from squirting. The syringes you get at Walmart et al, designed for cooking will be destroyed by brake fluid. I got a big irrigation syringe I got from a feed store for vetinary ? use. I've been using the Valvoline DOT 4 that comes in quarts. My fluid was dirtiest the first time when it had less than 2,000 miles. Now all I notice is a slight color change. First time there was actually "stuff" floating around.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:49 AM
PaulEddie
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
the dealer charges 125.00 to do it also, they have to drop the exhaust I was told.

ive used RAngers method twice now and my fluid is staying pretty clear.. but the crap "down under" concerns me.
wolfdogs, this is the first post I have seen from you in a very long time, does that mean you are still with us and did not sell your black beauty?
Old 06-02-2016, 03:46 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I just looked at two GM parts warehouses on line. Both say the GM Dot4 super brake/clutch fluid is no longer available.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:58 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I use the modified Ranger method with a syringe and tubing. One syringe to suck out the dirty fluid, another with clear tubing to pump it back in with. I push the tubing all the way down and push the fluid in. That brings up the dirty fluid, suck it out and repeat. I place the tubing in the reservoir and push fluid out before inserting in the hole and keep pushing fluid to keep from getting air bubbles. Been working great since new. No problems. Real dirty first few times until maybe 8,000 miles, stays almost clean now. Do it about once or twice a year, 4,500 miles/year.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:21 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Has anyone tried to use the 1/8" tubing to suck out the fluid from the line? Rather than push fluid into the line that we know has junk in it, could the 1/8" tubing be used to suck the stuff out? Since clean fluid would be in the reservoir, the tubing doesn't block the clutch hose and should allow the line to refill as you draw the old junk out through the 1/8" tubing.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:25 PM
csvette8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the referenced tubing is currently unavailable on amazon. Has anyone found another source for it?
Old 11-20-2017, 02:42 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jaki30
Has anyone tried to use the 1/8" tubing to suck out the fluid from the line? Rather than push fluid into the line that we know has junk in it, could the 1/8" tubing be used to suck the stuff out? Since clean fluid would be in the reservoir, the tubing doesn't block the clutch hose and should allow the line to refill as you draw the old junk out through the 1/8" tubing.
I wouldn't do that. Sucking fluid out from bottom of line could cause an air pocket. Much safer to push clean fluid through tubing to bottom of line, thus pushing dirty fluid up into reservoir. Modified method using tubing to push clean fluid in takes all of maybe 5 minutes.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:23 PM
FeArZ
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by csvette8
I noticed the referenced tubing is currently unavailable on amazon. Has anyone found another source for it?
Same. Looks like they may not carry it anymore. I'm going check my local tractor supply and hardware stores.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:37 PM
csvette8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FeArZ
Same. Looks like they may not carry it anymore. I'm going check my local tractor supply and hardware stores.
I just got a 60cc syringe at my local medical supply store and just doing the normal ranger method. I already notice a big difference so I’m glad I didn’t wait any longer. I swapped fluid two times and it’s a lighter brown already. Mine wasn’t as dirty as some I seen on YouTube.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:14 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

I can't believe what I'm reading! All you guys are doing with this tube method is clearing the line between the master cylinder and reservoir and MAYBE some in the chamber at the master. The much safer Ranger method does this anyway. The tube you are putting in there will not get past the master cylinder and any dirty fluid between the master and the slave will need to be purged by the ranger method or from the bleeder at the slave. When I replace a clutch I always install a Tick Performance remote bleeder so bleeding the clutch system is easier from that point on but on cars like my own 2011 ZR1 that doesn't need a clutch yet I use the Ranger method. Works just fine and is safer than sticking a tube down the line and into the master that could potentially shove debris down and clog a port or worse. This practice isn't necessary!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:43 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Well duh, of course it would be better to use a remote bleeder, but I think most of us using this method are still on the stock clutch. As to the modified vs the original method, nobody's saying you must do it this way, just giving options on a much quicker way of addressing the issue. As to potential potential danger with the tube method, I'd find that highly unlikely. Maybe if you really jammed the tube down and/or forced the new fluid down really hard/fast, but I think most of us are smart enough to do both operations very gently.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:49 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan70
As to potential potential danger with the tube method, I'd find that highly unlikely.
So you're speaking from experience here? Do you know where that tube is going and what's down there?

I don't usually express my opinion on topics like this because in most cases it's hard to sound constructive and can sound destructive. Stock clutch or not a remote bleeder is what the factory should have put in these cars to begin with. Even if I replace a stock clutch with another stock clutch I install a remote bleeder. The so called modified version of this procedure doesn't do anything more than the non modified Ranger method does. It's a pointless operation that could cause more trouble than you bargain for. I speak from experience as I've been a mechanic for over 40 years and work on these cars frequently. Trying to flush the line and master this way doesn't do anything but waste your time and POSSIBLY cause a problem.
The following users liked this post:
Ajaste (11-22-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 05:20 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GMJim
So you're speaking from experience here? Do you know where that tube is going and what's down there?

I don't usually express my opinion on topics like this because in most cases it's hard to sound constructive and can sound destructive. Stock clutch or not a remote bleeder is what the factory should have put in these cars to begin with. Even if I replace a stock clutch with another stock clutch I install a remote bleeder. The so called modified version of this procedure doesn't do anything more than the non modified Ranger method does. It's a pointless operation that could cause more trouble than you bargain for. I speak from experience as I've been a mechanic for over 40 years and work on these cars frequently. Trying to flush the line and master this way doesn't do anything but waste your time and POSSIBLY cause a problem.
Yes, speaking from experience. I've been using this method since it was first posted on here, both on my previous C5 and my current C6. Granted, neither see a ton of miles, but I probably flush it this way at least 4 times/year.

In case you missed it before, I absolutely agree with you that a remote bleeder would be the best method. However, I'm still on the original factory clutch and won't be adding a bleeder until I have to replace it. Which leaves me with the original Ranger method, which takes a lot of time and effort, or this modified method. We aren't arguing that the modified version does anything more than the original method, it's just faster. I've tried both, and the clutch fluid stays clean about the same amount of time/mileage for both. If people are uncomfortable with this method they can certainly continue to use the original Ranger method, but those of us who have been successful with this method just wanted to pass it along as an alternative.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:35 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,475 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

High 5 to Ranger! I did this on mine this weeked; seemed to work great. My fluid was cloudy, dark and low; now clear and light! It took (5) rounds of (50) pumps and a small amount of fluid. Amazingly easy and seems to have fully flushed the system!

Kudos!
Old 10-27-2019, 07:57 PM
roegs
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

For those looking for 1/8" tubing - you can purchase it at O'Reillys Auto Parts, Advance Auto Parts, and many other auto parts stores. You are looking for mechanical oil pressure gauge tubing, and can purchase a tubing kit separately from the gauge. Its 1/8" tubing. I agree with others that this method does a better job of flushing out the master cylinder. The OP mentioned that he pushed new fluid into the master cylinder and it expelled old fluid back up into the reservoir. I did it slightly different and instead I sucked old fluid out of the master cylinder. It works on the same principle where it takes fresh fluid from the reservoir as I sucked old fluid from the master cylinder. I did the suction method twice, and then pushed fresh fluid in 3 times the same way that the OP did. Worked great. As others mentioned, this only gets new fluid into the reservoir - master cylinder circuit, not the master - slave circuit. That said, over time the clean fluid will eventually work its way into the master - slave circuit. I believe this is as good as it gets as an alternate method to a full bleed of the slave.

Quick Reply: Replace Clutch Fluid - Modified Ranger Method