C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't program the Homelink with my garage door opener.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can't program the Homelink with my garage door opener.

The car is a 2011 GS. The GDO is a Marantec 4500.

The GDO does NOT have a "learn" button and the manufacturer tells me to use the remote. I've never had an issue using the remote to program other Homelink units. This is unbelievably frustrating.

I've followed the instructions in the owners manual as well as read (numerous times!) the Homelink FAQ and programming instructions with no luck. I have literally done everything precisely as directed in every manual and EVEN tried the instructions for Canada.

I've had the car in accessory mode as well as trying it with the car running but no luck.

I've tried to search this forum as well as the web on my GDO and the Homelink and I've seen that "older" homelink units were not compatible with the Marantec brand of openers. I wonder if this still holds true? It's a rolling code GDO/remote and as I've said before, never had a single issue programming other cars.... EVER.

If anyone has any insight I would really appreciate some help.

I sent an e-mail to Marantec today and hope to hear something back.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:06 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Your opener in the car is a Lear Car2U, not a Homelink. Go to their website for help...they also have an 800 number and are very helpful...they'll get you set up.

http://learcar2u.com/

Also, the opener in the visor is always powered, so no need to turn on the car.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:11 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Lear2u doesn't work with all garage door openers. They sell an "adapter" that costs about $25-50 per garage.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, thanks guys. What a bunch of crap. I'm not buying another unit so my universal remote works. I'll just use the visor remote I have.

Thanks GM.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:29 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Wow, that was fast....I wouldn't have expected Lear to be open on sunday...
Old 07-10-2011, 05:37 PM
BobBass
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The visor garage door opener in the newer Vettes is almost as lame as the OEM NAV. How ridiculous is it to have to open up your GDO remote, copy down the position of the dipswitches, and manually "enter" that code into the visor? EVERY other car I've had with built-in GDO's had a "learning function." I think it took me 3+ times to get this to work in my '09. Range isn't anything to write home about, either.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:57 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have a Craftsman garage door opener remote fastened to my visor with a clip.

As far as I knew, you couldn't program the Car2U to a garage door opener with rolling codes. Tried it and failed. My old 350Z learned it in less than 10 seconds and worked flawlessly every day until I sold it.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too, was frustrated with the U.S. procedure. The Canada procedure worked the first time (WTF?).
My opener is a Liftmaster and my car is an 06.
Good luck!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

GM saved a couple dollars a car to cause you the pain that the Lear unit causes. JCI owns Homelink, it costs more, but it works. Lear also made those great seats that wear out in less than 10K miles. At least GM saved a couple bucks.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Who Needs Turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS-Zero
I have a Craftsman garage door opener remote fastened to my visor with a clip.

As far as I knew, you couldn't program the Car2U to a garage door opener with rolling codes. Tried it and failed. My old 350Z learned it in less than 10 seconds and worked flawlessly every day until I sold it.
I have a Craftsman rolling code garage door opener also, and my 2008 Car2U programmed very quickly.

Maybe the previous owner of my car had upgraded it to support rolling code. Either way I found the programming easier than with Homelink on a previous car.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:55 PM
txsugar08
Pro

I have Craftsman opener that's 10yrs old. and my vette is a 2007. I also had trouble programming my unit. I finally pull the vett inside the garage and tried the procedure and it worked, first try. Also had the same problem with my Benz. Pulling the Benz inside also corrected the problem.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 PM
TarHeelDon
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This may sound a bit crazy but it worked for me....I couldnt get buttons 1 or 2 to program so i did it a third time with button 3 and it worked first try....Dont ask why and I was just happy to get it programmed.....so take a crack at it using the third button and see if it will work.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:58 PM
thehueg
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Lear Opener

Lear sells a $25 converter. Plug into the garage door opener outlet in the ceiling, two wires come down and attach right where the existing manual garage door opener button wires attach and voila, you're visor instantly works. No big deal and you won't need the extra clicker on your visor.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Yetiman
Advanced

Originally Posted by thehueg
Lear sells a $25 converter. Plug into the garage door opener outlet in the ceiling, two wires come down and attach right where the existing manual garage door opener button wires attach and voila, you're visor instantly works. No big deal and you won't need the extra clicker on your visor.
What is the name of this converter and how do you program once you have it?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

I bought the converter for $25 plus shipping and wired it to the same terminals instead of the the opener itself due to a lack of electrical plugs and it works fine.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 AM
MelAnn
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The interesting thing for me is that I have 3 doors all with the same make and model of GDO. 2 of them program fine but the 3rd one won't program no matter what I do.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i had to change my opener last fall and had trouble programing the cars to it. My old one worked right away. I found instructions for a tahoe, i think, on you tube. It had me put the cars in learn mode, program the remote to the cars and then the cars to the door. It took 5 minutes per car.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

I had to replace two garage door openers this year, had a Stanley where the sensors quit working reliably and a Craftsman that sounded like it was going to tear the door off. The center door is a Liftmaster. I picked up two Chamberlains from the local Lowe's. The point is all of the door openers worked with my '12 GS and '06 Yukon, rolling codes or not. The Craftsman was not a rolling code and had dip switches to manipulate. The original door openers at my house are about 17 years old. The new Chamberlains are great, I picked up the belt driven type and they are quiet.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't program the Homelink with my garage door opener.

Quick Reply: Can't program the Homelink with my garage door opener.