C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Corvette is making a loud whistling noise, can somebody help me diagnose the prob

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:12 AM
drsabertooth
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Corvette is making a loud whistling noise, can somebody help me diagnose the prob

I bought a 2005 Corvette Z51 (manual transmission) a couple of weeks ago with 54K miles on it. Everything works fine, but tonight while I was driving a loud whistling sound starting coming from the engine. It sounds like a loud cricket chirping noise. I had gotten out of the car to examine it as my friend moves the car forward. It came from the center of the engine. I don't know much about cars especially Corvettes. I was worried and drove it home right away. The sound was more obvious at slower speeds, but driving on the freeway it seemed to go away. I just joined this forum tonight to ask for your help. I had called a friend and he said it might be a loose belt, maybe the car needs a new timing belt or perhaps it needs a new water pump. Around 60K miles, what sort of work do Corvettes usually need? I am busy this coming week and won't be able to bring it in to the dealership to get it looked at. Maybe members of this forum can help me suggest possible problems with my car. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If everything works fine, its likely a belt, or loose pulley. Not much help, as I havent experienced this issue, but you will get better info from the experts shortly.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Alternator belt?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:24 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't a lot of 2005's have crank pulley come loose? A recall? Maybe this one hasn't had this repaired?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 AM
richgoat
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same issues, ended up being the alternator bearing.

CHeck your balancer to see if it is wobbly, if it is, chances are it messed up the bearing in the alternator and/or water pump. If it's wobbly, get it to a shop and have them pin the crank.

If it's not wobbly, have a tech find the noise, if it's the alternator or water pump it's a fairly cheap fix.

Get notified of new replies

To My Corvette is making a loud whistling noise, can somebody help me diagnose the prob

Quick Reply: My Corvette is making a loud whistling noise, can somebody help me diagnose the prob