C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Photoradar in Maryland/Washington DC

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:32 PM
rchbn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The locals know where the cameras are! Just follow them as an example but really not worth it in the end.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:38 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by mneblett
There are first amendment issues associated with this -- in short, they can't -- but violating Constitutional rights has NEVER stopped DC from passing whatever law they want.

Witness the de facto gun band that took decades and a trip to the Supreme Court to overturn -- and even then DC has effectively continued the ban by not allowing any transfers except through the single licenced FFL holder in the District, who must now operate out of a DC police building while he looks for a new place to have his business (i.e., he'll never get the zoning variance needed to open a new place of business after having to move out of his old place).

In Virginia (which also bans radar detectors) -- from what I've been told, whenever a detector case goes up on appeal the State drops the case, as they know the ban on RD use wouldn't withstand Constitutional scrutiny.
Or the Communications Act of 1934, which is very clear about receiving radio transmissions...

Last edited by cclive; 08-07-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:08 PM
HighPro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darn Criminals! Drive 55 and stay alive - and a little bored
Old 08-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Thanks for the many responses and information
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Even photoradar?

BTW, while entering DC I noticed a sign saying that radar detectors are illegal and that they can arrest and fine you for possession of the same.
lot of debate about that.most people dump them in the trash.the ticket has to be handed to you.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There are a couple smaller towns in my vicinity that use 6 mph over as the ticket threshold, especially in school zones.

But they also post photo radar warning signs where they have no such gear installed.

If you don't have a GPS-based radar detector you can use an app like Trapster on your smart phone or NAV for heads up warnings.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
There are a couple smaller towns in my vicinity that use 6 mph over as the ticket threshold, especially in school zones.

But they also post photo radar warning signs where they have no such gear installed.

If you don't have a GPS-based radar detector you can use an app like Trapster on your smart phone or NAV for heads up warnings.
i also use my phone works great
Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

MoCo in MD is full of photo and red light camera. They usually do tell you where they are but, as people have posted the 9500 works great to tell you where they are!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:46 PM
edloke
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just received a $158 radar ticket from Florida City, FL for failing to come to a complete stop before turning right on red.

Pretty slick system, where I actually saw a film on the web site... YUK

Last edited by edloke; 08-07-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-07-2011, 10:05 PM
jimhild
Pro

For the units that remain in Arizona it is typically 10 miles per hour lee-way. But the ticket starts about $185. The cities are getting smarter and serving the ticket/summons, at that point it is legal and you will pay the fine.

Photoradar, truck mounted and permanent mounts, as well as electronic speed monitors placed in the road surface are the most typical, combination of photos front and rear of the car and electronic speed sensing tied together.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by edloke
I just received a $158 radar ticket from Florida City, FL for failing to come to a complete stop before turning right on red.

Pretty slick system, where I actually saw a film on the web site... YUK
That is steep!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Brian2010
Burning Brakes

It's a money grab. They put some in construction sites even when there is no work going on. It's like 12 over usually a small truck is in the area.I have seen some portable ones in silver boxes,like a mail box. I have a guy that got like five from the same camera befor he realized what was going on.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Captain Richard
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a money-maker for DC/VA/MD. Further proof is the ticketing is handled by the Department of Taxation, not the Department of Motor Vehicles. Pure BS car tax.

Also, an "illegal equipment" radar detector ticket is way cheaper than a speeding ticket, plus no points on your license. You will not get arrested or have your car impounded and in most cases, they won't even confiscate your detector.

So eff 'em...get the radar detector and have fun.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:28 PM
skipper972
Racer

From researching several web sites and actual experience, it appears the Interstate threshold is set at 12 over and on city streets it is set at 7 over. Most of the cameras are mounted in a vehicle (MD) or on a tripod controlled by a vehicle (DC). However, there are several hard mounted cameras in DC too. I just stay on the speed limit in those posted areas.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:04 PM
dougj1985
Instructor

To answer the OPs question I have heard 11mph is the threshold for the speeding cameras in MD.

Anyone traveling in DC/Baltimore Metro regions has a warning of speed cameras. It's written on any speed limit sign where the state is enforcing its speeding laws. I pass by two everyday on I-95N and I-95S and they even have a radar speed sign that will even tell you how fast you are going before you pass the paparazzi jeep. IMHO anyone who gets a speeding ticket from these things is not paying attention at all on the roads. Its doesn’t matter if you are a local or not, if the sign says "speed limit 55 photo enforced", then you should assume there is going to be one. So slow down.

Secondly, I don’t get how these radar detectors/jammers actually work when it comes to the cameras I experience day to day on 95. The cameras move, they are mounted on white Jeep Liberty’s, and they move a mile or so down the road every so often. So how is GPS technology going to predict where MDOT sets up there camera for the day? Now on stationary pole cameras, like the ones in my hometown of Rockville, never move and I guess as long as someone has there location and shares them I could see the GPS giving you a warning of an impending speed trap.

All in all just a revenue generator for the state, what's next a camera to watch for people not picking up their dogs s*%t.....probably.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by dougj1985
To answer the OPs question I have heard 11mph is the threshold for the speeding cameras in MD.

Anyone traveling in DC/Baltimore Metro regions has a warning of speed cameras. It's written on any speed limit sign where the state is enforcing its speeding laws. I pass by two everyday on I-95N and I-95S and they even have a radar speed sign that will even tell you how fast you are going before you pass the paparazzi jeep. IMHO anyone who gets a speeding ticket from these things is not paying attention at all on the roads. Its doesn’t matter if you are a local or not, if the sign says "speed limit 55 photo enforced", then you should assume there is going to be one. So slow down.

Secondly, I don’t get how these radar detectors/jammers actually work when it comes to the cameras I experience day to day on 95. The cameras move, they are mounted on white Jeep Liberty’s, and they move a mile or so down the road every so often. So how is GPS technology going to predict where MDOT sets up there camera for the day? Now on stationary pole cameras, like the ones in my hometown of Rockville, never move and I guess as long as someone has there location and shares them I could see the GPS giving you a warning of an impending speed trap.

All in all just a revenue generator for the state, what's next a camera to watch for people not picking up their dogs s*%t.....probably.
It's too bad I didn't know about these jeeps before I went on my trip...I did try to stay at the limit there but sometimes you get distracted looking for turns/roads/signs and you could be going downhill and not pay attention to your speed.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Even photoradar?

BTW, while entering DC I noticed a sign saying that radar detectors are illegal and that they can arrest and fine you for possession of the same.
Who can speed in DC anyway ?

Get notified of new replies

To Photoradar in Maryland/Washington DC

Old 08-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by ghostRder
Who can speed in DC anyway ?
Except there were certain parts of the city that I was in a hurry to get out of
Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Captain Richard
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Virginia Law on Radar Detectors:

§ 46.2-1079. Radar detectors; demerit points not to be awarded.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.

B. A person shall not be guilty of a violation of this section when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, had no power source and was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.

C. This section shall not apply to motor vehicles owned by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof and used by law-enforcement officers in their official duties, nor to the sale of any such device or mechanism to law-enforcement agencies for use in their official duties.

D. No demerit points shall be awarded by the Commissioner for violations of this section. Any demerit points awarded by the Commissioner prior to July 1, 1992, for any violation of this section shall be rescinded and the driving record of any person awarded demerit points for a violation of this section shall be amended to reflect such rescission.

(1962, c. 125, § 46.1-198.1; 1975, c. 108; 1976, c. 90; 1978, cc. 87, 91; 1981, c. 303; 1989, c. 727; 1992, c. 825; 1998, c. 300.)

So again, you won't get arrested, they may or may not confiscate your detector (you can legally get it back if they do), and you will most certainly get a ticket for having one...which will still be cheaper than a speeding ticket.

Unless you get busted for both, that is.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:35 PM
yow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still think it's unconstitutional. The confrontation clause guarantees the right to cross-examine. Camera's can't be cross-examined.

On a motorcycle in TN it's legal to treat a red like like a stop sign if it is a weight-detection type light that the bike doesn't trigger. I turned left, legally, on my bike and got a ticket in the mail for running a red light. So dumb. It was 2 hrs from home so I paid the $50 and learned the lesson.

Quick Reply: Photoradar in Maryland/Washington DC