C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC Says "Check Coolant Level"

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Ramblin On
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIC Says "Check Coolant Level"

Within a week of taking delivery of a 2011 coup, the DIC flashed a message to "Check Coolant Level." The message was gone after checking the coolant supply and restarting the engine. The dealer's service department ran the computer diagnostics, nothing indicated. Service adviser said: Air bubble in the cooling system.

Message reappears a few weeks later. Message again disappears when the engine is turned off, then restarted. Service department ran diagnostics without a problem code being identified. Service advisor said to bring it in, without turning the engine off next time it happens.

This morning the check coolant level message appeared again. Vette taken to service department which verified the message was actually being displayed with the coolant level within normal levels. The service department has been interacting with GM Tech Support. Some number of computer tests are being run. Hopefully the problem will be repaired without creating new one(s) and life will be good once again.

If this does not work out, can anyone recommend a good exorcist?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:07 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The Corvette C6 doesn't have a coolant level sensor. Coolant level is a calculation done by comparing coolant temperature to RPM to determine if the proper level of coolant is present based on what the car is doing. In the event of a level issue being reported when the correct level of coolant can be observed in the reservoir, the dealer is able to recalibrate the table in the HVAC module (which is where the calculations are done for the coolant level algorithm.)
The following users liked this post:
MidWestKev (06-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
The Corvette C6 doesn't have a coolant level sensor. Coolant level is a calculation done by comparing coolant temperature to RPM to determine if the proper level of coolant is present based on what the car is doing. In the event of a level issue being reported when the correct level of coolant can be observed in the reservoir, the dealer is able to recalibrate the table in the HVAC module (which is where the calculations are done for the coolant level algorithm.)
Interesting... I did not know that...

However, when I first bought my Corvette, the check coolant message appeared in my DIC. I checked the coolant and appeared to be at the appropriate level. I added some coolant anyway (without it overflowing), and the light did not come on until recently (two years later). I added a little more coolant and the message has not reappeared.

Might want to try adding a little coolant (or distilled water, or a mixture of both), to see if this resolves your problem.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rossi6998; 08-09-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There could be an air bubble in the system, especially if it came on/off the truck at a steep angle, dealer needs to try purging it.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 AM
DaveV
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Default coolant

c6 2007 90,000 k i had the same message come on' check coolant level'
2 times, went away when i released the pressure cap, all levels were correct, it came back weeks later, this time i squeezed the top hose several times with cap off problem never returned
Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 AM
cylon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramblin On
Within a week of taking delivery of a 2011 coup, the DIC flashed a message to "Check Coolant Level." The message was gone after checking the coolant supply and restarting the engine. The dealer's service department ran the computer diagnostics, nothing indicated. Service adviser said: Air bubble in the cooling system.

Message reappears a few weeks later. Message again disappears when the engine is turned off, then restarted. Service department ran diagnostics without a problem code being identified. Service advisor said to bring it in, without turning the engine off next time it happens.

This morning the check coolant level message appeared again. Vette taken to service department which verified the message was actually being displayed with the coolant level within normal levels. The service department has been interacting with GM Tech Support. Some number of computer tests are being run. Hopefully the problem will be repaired without creating new one(s) and life will be good once again.

If this does not work out, can anyone recommend a good exorcist?
I posted this same message last week. It happened to me in Montreal last month and again last week, no codes.

My dealer will replace anything I ask them to do under warranty, so we started with thermostat after the MOntreal incident, didn't help.

We put some dye into the rad fluid, drove it a couple of hundred kilomoters and then looked at the whole engine bay under black light, no leak.

They have ordered a new temperature sensor for me and will change that when the part comes in. My guess is the the temp sensor. As you saw from another post, the car uses software (cheaper than hardware) to determine coolant level.

If it happenes again, switch the DIC over to coolant temperature. When i did the DIC displayed, 220, then 170 then 210, then 160 and kept changing, which tells me it is bad. And if it goes bad then it would give us the coolant level error.

I will let you know what happens after they change the temp sensor
Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Cylon, after all of the dealership visits you’ve had to make, I’d suggest you call GM Canada Customer Assistance so they can look into what’s going on. Their number is (800) 263-3777.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Maybe the angle of your car is setting the DIC message off?

Crown of the road, angled driveway, nose dive under braking etc.

Then, once the car is level again all systems check out as OK when you are investigating.

I'd add a 1/2 cup of distilled water, squeeze the radiator hoses for air bubble bleeding and call it a day........before returning to the dealer.

Since this is a new Vette the issue can be worth investigating fully... so return to dealer after you rule out the easy DIY (do it yourself) fix above.

Good hunting.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by cylon
If it happenes again, switch the DIC over to coolant temperature. When i did the DIC displayed, 220, then 170 then 210, then 160 and kept changing, which tells me it is bad. And if it goes bad then it would give us the coolant level error.
^This is the most likely answer.^

One bad sensor, matches the indications, intermittment, no actual mechanical of a fluid problem.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Ramblin On, please let me know how everything goes this time at the dealership. If you’re still experiencing this message after your visit, I can look into it further for you.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 08-10-2011, 03:30 PM
johan gouws
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has happened several times on mine but did not concern me as every time I looked the reservoir was full. Interesting how the correct level is determined.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

What kind of outside temperatures have people been experiencing this problem, is it usually hot or does it happen in cooler temps as well?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 PM
cylon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
What kind of outside temperatures have people been experiencing this problem, is it usually hot or does it happen in cooler temps as well?
hot, 90+ and while in stop and go traffic in downtown city streets, or re-strating car after being off for 15 minutes again in a hot situation
Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Ramblin On
Instructor

My issue began on hot day, drove about 100 miles, stopped for lunch. Then drove about 10 minutes, parked and shopped for a bit. Then hit the highway home at about 75 mph. 10 to 15 minutes into the drive the message hit. Temperature was running in the 90's.

Latest episode it happened within a mile of home. Speed in the 0-45 mile range. Morning temp in the upper 70's. went directly to the dealer. The vette has been there since 10:45 yesterday while service staff "tested" the car. No word as of 5:00pm today on whether or not they have identified or fixed the problem.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Ramblin On
My issue began on hot day, drove about 100 miles, stopped for lunch. Then drove about 10 minutes, parked and shopped for a bit. Then hit the highway home at about 75 mph. 10 to 15 minutes into the drive the message hit. Temperature was running in the 90's.

Latest episode it happened within a mile of home. Speed in the 0-45 mile range. Morning temp in the upper 70's. went directly to the dealer. The vette has been there since 10:45 yesterday while service staff "tested" the car. No word as of 5:00pm today on whether or not they have identified or fixed the problem.
hot, 90+ and while in stop and go traffic in downtown city streets, or re-strating car after being off for 15 minutes again in a hot situation
I am by no means a technical expert, but given the fact that people here have said that the car does not have an actual sensor to measure the level and that you have visually confirmed it to be topped up, it would appear that it this is a design flaw and that hot engine temps could trigger such a warning. However, I would have thought that you would get an overheated engine warning, if the car has such a warning. The other day I saw my engine temperature go up to about 109 C/228 F but didn't get any warnings.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Ramblin On
Instructor

I am by no means a technical expert, but given the fact that people here have said that the car does not have an actual sensor to measure the level and that you have visually confirmed it to be topped up, it would appear that it this is a design flaw and that hot engine temps could trigger such a warning. However, I would have thought that you would get an overheated engine warning, if the car has such a warning. The other day I saw my engine temperature go up to about 109 C/228 F but didn't get any warnings.
Hey Mad Max,
FYI - the engine temperature gague never got over 220 f. Nary a sign of over heating ever appeared, even after driving 40+ miles at 75 mph after the message was cancelled. I believe a computer gremlin is possessing the system. The dealer's service department is still working on it.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Ramblin On
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Ramblin On, please let me know how everything goes this time at the dealership. If you’re still experiencing this message after your visit, I can look into it further for you.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Laura,

Picked up the C-6 yesterday (Thursady) about 5:00 pm. Service Consultant said they worked with GM Tech over 2-1/2 days and ended up doing a "reset."

I drove it home, about 5 miles. Garaged it over night. Drove about 8 miles this morning. Parked it in the sun until about 4:55 pm.

Started home, within 5 minutes, the "Check Coolant Level" message came on gain. Took it directly to Casa Chevrolet (Albuquerque). Service consultant saw the message, he said they will try again.

Richard

Get notified of new replies

To DIC Says "Check Coolant Level"

Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 AM
Kingsize
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ramblin On... I have always gotten that message anytime the computer didn't "think" the engine temp got up to temp fast enough, no matter what time of year. However, it does happen more often in winter. I went through the same as you a while back, and eventually gave up and had it tuned out. It happens because the computer see's lower than expected engine tempratures based on an algorithym of outside temp, engine temp, and other parameters. If it thinks the engine temp is too cold, it assumes the coolant level is low, and that the engine temp is false. The temps will then bounce around on the DIC a while until it finally reads XXX. There are tuners out there that can change this, which is exactly what I had done. It drove me crazy when I first bought this Vette. It really gets bad if you do any mods and use a 160 or 180 degree thermostat. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
MidWestKev (06-09-2016)
Old 08-13-2011, 06:57 AM
cylon
Burning Brakes

Happened again to me, i guess it will go in for a new temp sensor and see if that fixes the problem
Old 08-14-2011, 01:54 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingsize
Ramblin On... I have always gotten that message anytime the computer didn't "think" the engine temp got up to temp fast enough, no matter what time of year. However, it does happen more often in winter. I went through the same as you a while back, and eventually gave up and had it tuned out. It happens because the computer see's lower than expected engine tempratures based on an algorithym of outside temp, engine temp, and other parameters. If it thinks the engine temp is too cold, it assumes the coolant level is low, and that the engine temp is false. The temps will then bounce around on the DIC a while until it finally reads XXX. There are tuners out there that can change this, which is exactly what I had done. It drove me crazy when I first bought this Vette. It really gets bad if you do any mods and use a 160 or 180 degree thermostat. Good luck.
If the sensor is resistance based, you can "trick" the system by adding the appropriate series or parallel resistor to provide the same resistance the system expects at temperature.

Quick Reply: DIC Says "Check Coolant Level"