C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOB Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 AM
ELUSIV
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Successfully changed both batteries this morning thanks to the great information posted here. The pre-heat process is certainly a benefit as is using a very small screw driver in the tiny slot on the right side of the case. I used a toaster oven set on “Warm” for about 10 minutes to get the desired heated state.

Looking forward to a drive now with that potential 8-10 HP boost! Cheers!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I just changed my FOB battery yesterday. I used the can opener tool in my Swiss Army knife in the Home Depot parking lot. Seemed to be the right tool for the job, and the center console was an adequate work surface. Or course it might have been a different story had the internal parts of the FOB had fallen in between the seats.

May have just been a seat of the pants, but I definitely gained 8-10 horsepower with the upgrade!
Does anyone know if this will void the warranty?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:40 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Less than 90 days since last reply so I guess I'm safe to post

After 5 years and 5 months the battery in the main FOB for my 08 died today. I popped the hatch with the key and the alarm sounded. I would have thought using the key would have turned the alarm off. Oh well, grabbed the second FOB and was off.

Took all of about 3 minutes to swap my battery. Got a tiny jewelers screwdriver in one side and just ran it down the slot. I just happened to have a new CR2032 but now need to swap the other as I'm sure it is ready to die.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:27 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Trust me when I say I am NOT a MECHANIC but I changed both of my while sitting in parking lot at drug store very easily . Was surprised I could do it that easy. Think I used a dime to open them, one had never even been used since car was new
Old 07-11-2013, 03:05 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
Trust me when I say I am NOT a MECHANIC but I changed both of my while sitting in parking lot at drug store very easily . Was surprised I could do it that easy. Think I used a dime to open them, one had never even been used since car was new
I have the older model. No problem prying open and changing the battery. However, I cannot get the two halves to click back together.
Is there a trick to that?
Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Worked great for me.

The comment from the Chevy dealership when I bought the battery was "Those are a pain to change".

I don't understand why they think they are allowed to make negative comments about their products. These are now $60k-$70k cars; maybe Corvettes should be moved from Chevy to Caddy where there is more focus on customer satisfaction.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 PM
PHulst
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DonOH
Thanks for the advice. Worked great for me.

The comment from the Chevy dealership when I bought the battery was "Those are a pain to change".

I don't understand why they think they are allowed to make negative comments about their products. These are now $60k-$70k cars; maybe Corvettes should be moved from Chevy to Caddy where there is more focus on customer satisfaction.
No offense, but I think the dealership is dead nuts on.

I don't understand why they can engineer a $60000 automobile that works so well yet make it so exceptionally difficult to change a $2 battery. My 2003 GMC pickup takes only seconds to swap fob batteries.

Oh, and some Caddys have the same crappy remote fob.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by lottavettes
I have the older model. No problem prying open and changing the battery. However, I cannot get the two halves to click back together.
Is there a trick to that?
Rub a little silicone lube (or whatever you have) on the rubber gasket. Put some masking tape on the jaws of a pair of pliers and squeeze the case together until it snaps shut. Or breaks.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
Rub a little silicone lube (or whatever you have) on the rubber gasket. Put some masking tape on the jaws of a pair of pliers and squeeze the case together until it snaps shut. Or breaks.
Lubrication on the gasket is key to an easy reassembly...just as heat is important in the opening of the fob. Heat gets more important as we get towards winter...people always crack plastic on these cars in the winter and much less in summer.

And the key is a little lube, not gobs of it.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PHulst
No offense, but I think the dealership is dead nuts on.

I don't understand why they can engineer a $60000 automobile that works so well yet make it so exceptionally difficult to change a $2 battery. My 2003 GMC pickup takes only seconds to swap fob batteries.

Oh, and some Caddys have the same crappy remote fob.

They also said the older Chevy fob was an easy swap too.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:19 PM
PHulst
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DonOH
They also said the older Chevy fob was an easy swap too.
Yep, same one as my 2003 GMC truck.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Ed32
Racer

Default Tiny screw driver and a credit card!

Tiny screw driver worked for me! Also a credit card is easier on the plastic, I used the card to slide it open after I pried it with the screw driver on the right side where the gap seems a little deeper (below panic/horn button on the side). No marks in any of the fobs, they still look new

Ed

P.S. Remove the key first

Last edited by Ed32; 11-25-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I throw my down on the cement floor..Opens every time....
Old 11-26-2013, 10:49 AM
NeverAgain
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could not get the small screwdriver approach to work without scratching/marring the case. In an older post, someone suggested to pull the key out just a bit and then gently turn it. That approached worked well for 4 Fobs so far. But I agree, a very poor design!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverAgain
I could not get the small screwdriver approach to work without scratching/marring the case. In an older post, someone suggested to pull the key out just a bit and then gently turn it. That approached worked well for 4 Fobs so far. But I agree, a very poor design!
That way or use a quarter..
Old 12-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Maxx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

The credit card trick worked good on all 4 of my remotes (2/'07 & 2/'09)...

While I was in there I popped the little "contact titty" off the panic alarm buttons in the 09 (new) remotes and cut the same thing off the 07 (older) remotes!

No more setting off the stupid alarm with the key fob in my pocket!

Chris
Old 01-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Danny T
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx
The credit card trick worked good on all 4 of my remotes (2/'07 & 2/'09)...

While I was in there I popped the little "contact titty" off the panic alarm buttons in the 09 (new) remotes and cut the same thing off the 07 (older) remotes!

No more setting off the stupid alarm with the key fob in my pocket!

Chris
That was going to be my question, I am always hitting the wrong button when I reach into my pocket to open the hatch and wanted to know if the alarm button could be disabled. I tried to open mine to investigate with a small screwdriver before looking at this post and it started making a "crackling" sound and I was afraid I would break it.

Thanks Chris, will give it another go

Get notified of new replies

To FOB Battery

Old 01-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Danny T
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default opening the key fob

the credit card worked and was just a matter of putting a piece of tape over the contact point on the surface that pushes against the panel to disable the panic button.

Thanks again,

Danny T
Old 11-13-2014, 11:22 PM
Yorad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info everyone, and I know I'm digging up an old one here but I found another potential issue in completing this task now that many of these cars are not under the original owner, as with my 2 week new-to-me baby. The previous owner may have screwed the pooch on his battery change, broken it, then super-glued it back together. That was the experience I had today. It was super hard to separate one side and then it never stuck back together and it looks like there is some glue residue there.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Granitehead53
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Best thing is a large Butcher Knife, I changed the battery in both of my FOB'S with no trouble or damage in less than 5 minutes

Quick Reply: FOB Battery