C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 AM
RTMvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Wheel Alignment

Noticed yesterday while under the car, the front left tire is badly worn on the inside tread. All other tires are in good shape. At 25K miles, New OEM Goodyear Eagle EMTs were installed. They have 10K miles on them - I don't know if the alignment was checked at the time. Is there anything unique to this car (C6 Z51 Roadster) that could cause this other than a simple alignment? I would think an alignment out so bad to have caused this would be visible. I have had no indication whatsoever that there was an issue, the car tracks very straight. Looks like a new set of tires and an alignment are due prematurely.

RTMvette
Old 05-13-2013, 08:54 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It IS the alignment, and it does have to be done, sometimes, more frequently than when you change tires. An alignment can go out on some cars (ours, too) with just a bad bump. It is preventive maintenance. From what I've been told, everything needs to be tightened very well, too.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AORoads
It IS the alignment, and it does have to be done, sometimes, more frequently than when you change tires. An alignment can go out on some cars (ours, too) with just a bad bump. It is preventive maintenance. From what I've been told, everything needs to be tightened very well, too.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM
RTMvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyton! It was tha alignment after all and I learned an expensive lesson! Alignment completed and new Michelin EMTs, but...Geeze!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:03 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I hope you had them take out much neg. camber as possible and to go near ) toe; if not, you are still in for trouble. Hopefully they got it right. Took us three sets of tires on my wife's GS!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:15 PM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean it should be aligned even if it's driving straight down the road, right? Still could be out of whack? My tire shop quoted me about $90. That sound OK?

Thanks...
Old 05-23-2013, 05:27 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by richietables
You mean it should be aligned even if it's driving straight down the road, right? Still could be out of whack? My tire shop quoted me about $90. That sound OK?

Thanks...
Right, especially a new car. The settings from the factory are more suitable for racing than cruising the highway. Look for the PAFDT (sp?) street settings to get the settings right (Assuming you are NOT track racing it.)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
...Look for the PAFDT (sp?) street settings to get the settings right...
PFADT alignment specs:
http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-alignment.pdf
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm about to do mine again.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Not to mention these cars are setup from the factory with a heavy amount of camber.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Originally Posted by carpe dm
I hope you had them take out much neg. camber as possible and to go near ) toe; if not, you are still in for trouble. Hopefully they got it right. Took us three sets of tires on my wife's GS!

You can go up to -1.0° camber just as long as you have near 0 toe. It's the combination of negative camber and non-zero toe which gives you the scuffing one the inside edges of the front tires.

Below are what both my Firehawk and Vette are aligned to and I don't have any abnormal tire wearing issues at all. I used Pfadt's recommendations as a guideline and the guy who aligned it does a lot of alignments for road course and autocross cars. There was a trailer-ed in road race prepped Viper ACR waiting to get aligned after me the last time I was there.

Last edited by JRHAWK9; 05-23-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Wheel Alignment

Quick Reply: C6 Wheel Alignment