C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No key fob???

Old 08-25-2011, 01:07 AM
ChRpin VETT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No key fob???

Have an 05 corvette base model. When i sit in car displays no fob while i have key fob right there i hit the start button about 20 times and car eventually turns of after a minute or 2 very annoying does this everytime.

Changed the batteries on the key fob still same problem. Fob works fine to unlock and lock doors at a great distance so i dont think the key fob is the issue!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 AM
ChRpin VETT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also occasionally door wont open even if key fob is in my pocket. But will unlock immediately if i use the unlock button on fob
Old 08-25-2011, 02:01 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChRpin VETT
Have an 05 corvette base model. When i sit in car displays no fob while i have key fob right there i hit the start button about 20 times and car eventually turns of after a minute or 2 very annoying does this everytime.

Changed the batteries on the key fob still same problem. Fob works fine to unlock and lock doors at a great distance so i dont think the key fob is the issue!
Are you charging a cell phone in the car, or even carrying one in the same pocket? Either are known to interfer with the fob signal.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by bolivar
Are you charging a cell phone in the car, or even carrying one in the same pocket? Either are known to interfer with the fob signal.
Also, strong electronic signals from other devices that are near the car.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 AM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you've ruled out a weak fob battery your RCDLR module may be dying.

Have you tried putting the fob into the slot in the glove compartment when this is happening? Can you open the passenger side door by pressing the door handle (i.e. without pressing any buttons on the fob itself)? What about the rear hatch?

If some antennas work but others don't, you may have one or more bad antennas. If none of these antenna locations works, the only common point of failure is the RCDLR module itself.

Try them all and let us know which ones work and which ones do not.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:41 AM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your car battery - this may be one of the early signs that the battery is getting weak. Twice my battery has died and while the car would always start, early on I would have trouble with fob recognition and then getting some weird read outs on DIC.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:27 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Pushing buttons on the FOB causes it to send high powered signals to the car where you have large antennas and a powerful receiver. The passive recognition signals require the FOB to receive small signals with the tiny antenna in the FOB. That is why you can unlock the doors from 100 feet pushing buttons but have to be within 3 feet for them to unlock while trying to open the door.

When the passive system isn't working there can be many causes because it is marginal to begin with. Primary causes, IMHO, are battery in the FOB and battery in the car. Both will cause lower signal levels of the transmitter or receiver. Sometimes you get a brand new FOB battery and the new battery is as dead as the old one. Try another. They're inexpensive. Next get a battery tender and make sure the car battery is full charged. If either of these suggestions solves the problem you're done.

If not does it work the same with both FOBs or only one. That would indicate a bad FOB. Does the slot in the glove compartment solve the issue? That would indicate an interference or car receiver issue if both FOBs react the same.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Like others have suggested, have you changed your battery recently?

Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 08-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Like others have suggested, have you changed your battery recently?

Laura
GM Customer Service
Fob or car?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:14 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

A weak or dying car battery, a weak or dying fob battery or radio frequency (RF) interference from aftermarket devices such as 2-way radios, power inverters, cellular phone chargers, computers, etc. may cause a system malfunction. High RF traffic areas, such as gas stations which use pay-at-the-pump RF transponders, may also cause interference that could lead to a malfunction.

Get notified of new replies

To No key fob???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No key fob???