C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 PM
gregc6z51
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Tires

I have a 07 c6 coupe. I bought the car with kumho tires on it. The pressure was around 32psi and the car runs really good with this pressure. The tires max is 50psi and 51psi front and rear. Should I up the pressure or leave it where it is. Some suggested 34psi at all times. Is this correct or should I at least bump up the pressure to around 40 psi? thanks

Greg
Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Definitely don't pump them up to 40. Some folks here run 2 or 3 lbs more than the GM sticker that says 30, but don't run more than that.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gregc6z51
I have a 07 c6 coupe. I bought the car with kumho tires on it. The pressure was around 32psi and the car runs really good with this pressure. The tires max is 50psi and 51psi front and rear. Should I up the pressure or leave it where it is. Some suggested 34psi at all times. Is this correct or should I at least bump up the pressure to around 40 psi? thanks

Greg
30 psi cold
Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Greg
You can run more or less than 30 psi depending on what you like. Just don't go too much more. If the tire is wearing more in the middle area, then maybe run less, if more wear on the outer tread, use more air. But 30 psi is about right in the middle so I would start there. Again, this is a cold tire pressure. Also, less air gives a little softer ride, more a little firmer.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:56 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does 30 cold apply to here in Austin with the car sitting in the driveway
in 106 degree sun? Serious question here.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:58 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by goatts
30 psi cold
Old 09-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Greg
Factory specified TP is 30 lbs, but 32 is fine....that's what I run with Nitto Invo's. I wouldn't go any higher than that.....certainly not 40. The max TP rating embossed on the side of the tire has nothing to do with proper inflation pressure for driving.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by choprfgr
Yes, as long as the sun is not shining on the tire whose pressure you're going to check.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:19 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I run 32psi on my goodyear f1 supercar runflat and the tires are wearing perfectly after 12k miles
Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

30 psi on the door jam is for a reason... that gives you the proper contact patch size, the proper flexing of the casing and the proper reaction of the belts and support wedges in the crown edge for that size tire on the car.. a lot of work in engineering went into that with GM. You can run 32psi, but run it on the front only... it gives just a tad advantage for crown edge support.. the tires casing and structure wont really notice a true diff in pressure unless you drop or bump by 3 psi...

ps. and like stated, always check/adjust tire pressure when the tires are cold... meaning they have set for a few hours to cool down. if you must check them hot.. add 4 psi.... in other words.. to be at 30 psi cold... if the tire is hot, set it at 34 psi.

Last edited by wolfdogs; 09-01-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
30 psi on the door jam is for a reason... that gives you the proper contact patch size, the proper flexing of the casing and the proper reaction of the belts and support wedges in the crown edge for that size tire on the car.. a lot of work in engineering went into that with GM. You can run 32psi, but run it on the front only... it gives just a tad advantage for crown edge support.. the tires casing and structure wont really notice a true diff in pressure unless you drop or bump by 3 psi...

ps. and like stated, always check/adjust tire pressure when the tires are cold... meaning they have set for a few hours to cool down. if you must check them hot.. add 4 psi.... in other words.. to be at 30 psi cold... if the tire is hot, set it at 34 psi.
Good post Ken.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by choprfgr
If parked in the sun, the tires in the sun will be hotter and probably 2 or 3 psi more than those in the shade (assuming they were equally inflated when cool). If you adjust pressure to equalize them, the hot tires will be underinflated, relative to those that were cool, when you drive far enough that the tire temperatures equalize.

Try to check the pressure when the tires temperatures are approximately equal - such as parked in the shade or after sitting over night. Right down any needed pressure adjustments before driving to the service station. That way you will know how many PSI to add after you drive to the sevice station and the tires are warm.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cartop2
If parked in the sun, the tires in the sun will be hotter and probably 2 or 3 psi more than those in the shade (assuming they were equally inflated when cool). If you adjust pressure to equalize them, the hot tires will be underinflated, relative to those that were cool, when you drive far enough that the tire temperatures equalize.

Try to check the pressure when the tires temperatures are approximately equal - such as parked in the shade or after sitting over night. Right down any needed pressure adjustments before driving to the service station. That way you will know how many PSI to add after you drive to the sevice station and the tires are warm.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=73
Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cartop2

Adjusting and trying to equalize tire pressures when tires are cooling down and/or when half the car is in the sun is a nightmare.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:40 PM
gregc6z51
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, helps out alot.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:47 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

As has all ready been mentioned 30 psi cold is what you should have in your tires.

The inflation pressure of the tire is based on the size of the tire and weight of the car to determine the correct contact patch.

The reason that tires have a "max inflation pressure" on the sidewall is because tires can be fitted to a wide range of vehicles based on size. Some cars with additional weight will require more air pressure. The Corvette isn't one of them with stock or near stock sizes.

The TPMS sensors have a range of 24 psi low pressure to 42 psi high pressure. You will get a warning above or below those pressures. It can't be adjusted.

Tire pressure is not a set it and forget it item. Tire pressure will vary based on air temperature. Tire pressure will change approximately 1 psi for every 10 degree change in temperature. If the temp goes down, pressure goes down. If the temp goes up, the pressure goes up accordingly. Tire pressure will also increase as the tires heat up while driving.

For your pressure, unless you have radically departed from the OEM tire size you need to follow the manufacturers recommended inflation pressure that is posted on the side of the drivers door.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Tires

Quick Reply: C6 Tires