C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Side window scratched again - Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 PM
madcadr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drivers Side window scratched again - Any ideas?

I have an 08 coupe z51 - and, sometime in 09 I noticed my tint was scratched on the inside. Took to dealer and they adjusted something and even re-imbursed my $50 to have the tint re-tinted at the tint shop that I use.

Well, it is 2 years later (Still under warranty) - And, the drivers side window is doing the same thing... Something is scratching it on the inside...

Took to dealer again - They said it was dirt in the tracks and that there WAS NOTHING to adjust... I told them that they fixed it once by ADJUSTING SOMETHING...

How does dirt scratch the inside of the window?

Why did you fix it once and now say there is nothing to fix 2 years later? Did the door shed its' part that you fixed the first time?

Frustrated.

Does anyone know what the inside of the door looks like and what could be causing a scratch from the TOP of my window to the BOTTOM of my window tint in the center of my window? It is a VERY STRAIGHT scratch - I would think that a loose piece of dirt would make a scribble-type scratch.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by madcadr
I have an 08 coupe z51 - and, sometime in 09 I noticed my tint was scratched on the inside. Took to dealer and they adjusted something and even re-imbursed my $50 to have the tint re-tinted at the tint shop that I use.

Well, it is 2 years later (Still under warranty) - And, the drivers side window is doing the same thing... Something is scratching it on the inside...

Took to dealer again - They said it was dirt in the tracks and that there WAS NOTHING to adjust... I told them that they fixed it once by ADJUSTING SOMETHING...

How does dirt scratch the inside of the window?

Why did you fix it once and now say there is nothing to fix 2 years later? Did the door shed its' part that you fixed the first time?

Frustrated.

Does anyone know what the inside of the door looks like and what could be causing a scratch from the TOP of my window to the BOTTOM of my window tint in the center of my window? It is a VERY STRAIGHT scratch - I would think that a loose piece of dirt would make a scribble-type scratch.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Take the door panel off and look for a stray piece of "something" that may be the culprit.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:58 PM
mad-axeman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually have this very issue myself. the scratch isn't fully from top to bottom (which is a bit weird in of itself) but close. haven't done any troubleshooting b/c i never thought the dealer would even consider helping, and it didn't bother me enough to pay for retint etc.

curious what other members will say here

Stu
Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Doesn't take much to scratch tint. It is very easy for something to get between the window felts and the glass. The result is scratched tint. I see it all the time.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Streetk14
Doesn't take much to scratch tint. It is very easy for something to get between the window felts and the glass. The result is scratched tint. I see it all the time.

^^^^ This! I'm on my third tint on drivers glass. I drive on the beach a lot and get sand on the felt thus scratches begin. I have two scratches now...

2008 Vert

Owned since new in 2007

www.c6c7vette.com
Old 09-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

madcadr – would you send me a PM with your VIN please so I could look into this?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 09-13-2011, 07:52 PM
madcadr
Racer

PM sent - Thanks Laura.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If it goes from the bottom of the visible tint, to the very top, it may well have been something trapped between the glass and the seal. I don't think there's anything in the door constuction itself that touches the very top of the glass (besides the rubber seal).
Old 09-13-2011, 07:58 PM
scootertrash19
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Pontiac that had the same issue, turned out to be the window regulator was hitting the glass, havent had this problem on the Vette yet, hope I dont.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
madcadr – would you send me a PM with your VIN please so I could look into this?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Please keep the remedy public. I've had the same problem, thrice.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:04 PM
madcadr
Racer

Don't really know. I guess that could be true - However, the facts I am going off of are the following:

1 - It happened once before (8 months after owning car) and the dealership did something and even paid for me to get the drivers side re-tinted.

2 - Took it to the window tint shop (I have used them for over 20 years) - And, they said that something on the inside is scratching it. They agree that the striaghtness of the scratch is non-typical of a dirt scratch.

All in all, my main question is: How can the dealership fix something and pay for my tint once before - And, the same exact thing is happening in the same exact place - And, NOW it is dirt...

I have owned several other vettes, vipers, trucks, and cars... I have never had dirt scratch the inside of my tint before. I don;t park under trees or visit the beach.

Heck, my parents have 2 hyundais that are 12 years old and the original tint is not scratched at all - And, they do actually park under trees as they have been an outside cars for 12 years...

I think if it were dirt - ALL cars would be scratched on the inside -And, the tint shop sees very little scratches on other cars - just vettes....

Whatever the reason - I paid 50k for this car and expect the seals, etc to work properly and keep the dirt out like other cars.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Over the years I have dealt with scratched window glass. Sometimes tint scratched. sometimes the glass itself. I don.'t know exactly know what the actual repairs where. I do know on several different manufacturers over the years there have been TSBs on such. Has to do with the felt or lack of and urethane/plastic support,guide. My Dodge truck has a TSB on such. Has to do with the rubber that is helping guide,support the glass. Of course dirt and sand get between rubber,felt or guides.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 PM
madcadr
Racer

I have a very easy way to tell if it is dirt or the car:

The dealership said that they "blew-Out" all of the dirt that was caught in the whatever-majig a few weeks ago...

O.K. - I will have my windows scrapped an re-tinted on my own penny this weekend. Then, after 3 days of letting it dry - When I roll down the window - If is starts scratching again - Then, I guess it is not dirt after all... If it acts just fine - Then I guess it was...

If I find that it was NOT dirt all along - The dealershiop will have to pay me the cost for 2 window tints and fix the darn problem...

Sounds like a plan to me.

Let the experiment begin... Ha, Ha...
Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

One way to do it. I'd use maybe a water mist or ? after tint removed and roll window up and down and see what kind of track is left. I bet its not crud. After reading this thread I realize that BOTH my trucks have TSBs on window scratching. The trucks are 8 YEARS difference in age. The older truck had something replaced way back when. The new truck had a 'inspection' performed and I was asked if any scratch issues. This issue pops up in the industry from time to time.

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers Side window scratched again - Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Drivers Side window scratched again - Any ideas?