C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My battery died! (How embarrassing)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:28 AM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default My battery died! (How embarrassing)

So I invited forum members Brooklync5 & Georgevee over yesterday so that we can take a ride to check out a WILD car & Bike get together which takes place every Tuesday night around 9pm in a very large parking lot on the South Shore of Staten Island. For any of you that haven't heard of this area just think "MOB WIVES" the show that features a few Glamorous ladys from this area. Usually over 300 cars from rice burners to Lambo's show up. Not including entourages of different types of bikes again ranging from the rice rockets to American custom choppers. Huge turnout and Wild Wild time.
Anyway the boys showed up and I went to start my car which I hadn't started since last week. All I got was a lil clicking noise and the dash started to freak out. I got locked in and the car wouldn't start needless to say. This is embarrassing I thought It was very strange becase my headlights were on strong and everything seemed to be fine but car wouldn't start. I then was getting all these service messages on the DIC. "Service Suspension, Service Active Handling" ETC.. To make things worse I couldn't even shift to neutral (automatic) to back the car out and try jump starting it. At that point Sal (Brooklync5) recommended disconnecting the battery to maybe reset the ECM. Unfortunately that didn't work but it solved part of the problem which allowed me to shift into neutral to roll my car out for a jump start.
So I'm posting this up to get some feedback and advice. Here is some of the background info:

1)My car is a 2007 c6 coupe with 20k miles. As far as I know the battery is the original battery AC Delco 8538?? This isnt exactly the first time I've had this issue. About a month ago the battery died at the garage at work but that was my fault as I think I left the hatch open. But don't the lights go off after a certain amount of time anyway? Should the battery die that easily?? WTF
2) My real concern is that my LED's are staying on in the rear view and hatch area and draining the battery. This isnt my daily driver so sometimes the car sits for 4-5 days or even a week before I take it out. Should I pull the bulbs and have the battery inspected before pulling the trigger on a new battery? If I do need a new battery what replacement brand is recommended and where should I go to get it?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

2007 battery? It's almost 5 years old!! Nuff said.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:42 AM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by studiovete
So I invited forum members Brooklync5 & Georgevee over yesterday so that we can take a ride to check out a WILD car & Bike get together which takes place every Tuesday night around 9pm in a very large parking lot on the South Shore of Staten Island. For any of you that haven't heard of this area just think "MOB WIVES" the show that features a few Glamorous ladys from this area. Usually over 300 cars from rice burners to Lambo's show up. Not including entourages of different types of bikes again ranging from the rice rockets to American custom choppers. Huge turnout and Wild Wild time.
Anyway the boys showed up and I went to start my car which I hadn't started since last week. All I got was a lil clicking noise and the dash started to freak out. I got locked in and the car wouldn't start needless to say. This is embarrassing I thought It was very strange becase my headlights were on strong and everything seemed to be fine but car wouldn't start. I then was getting all these service messages on the DIC. "Service Suspension, Service Active Handling" ETC.. To make things worse I couldn't even shift to neutral (automatic) to back the car out and try jump starting it. At that point Sal (Brooklync5) recommended disconnecting the battery to maybe reset the ECM. Unfortunately that didn't work but it solved part of the problem which allowed me to shift into neutral to roll my car out for a jump start.
So I'm posting this up to get some feedback and advice. Here is some of the background info:

1)My car is a 2007 c6 coupe with 20k miles. As far as I know the battery is the original battery AC Delco 8538?? This isnt exactly the first time I've had this issue. About a month ago the battery died at the garage at work but that was my fault as I think I left the hatch open. But don't the lights go off after a certain amount of time anyway? Should the battery die that easily?? WTF
2) My real concern is that my LED's are staying on in the rear view and hatch area and draining the battery. This isnt my daily driver so sometimes the car sits for 4-5 days or even a week before I take it out. Should I pull the bulbs and have the battery inspected before pulling the trigger on a new battery? If I do need a new battery what replacement brand is recommended and where should I go to get it?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help.
Time for a new battery. Do you keep it on a tender when not in use? I dont use my car from Monday thru Friday and the tender goes on Sunday night. LED's should not kill the battery if they stay dimly lit. When I first switched to LED's I had them staying on like you describe and since I had a large selection of different 194's I finally installed a set that would totally go off. Never had my hatch ones stay dim when off. Think the quality of the LED bulb determines if it stays dimly lit when off. None of mine stay on now.

As for which battery to get you will get a ton of opinions here. If the OEM one lasted 4 years that is pretty good, you could go with another one of those. Lots of people swear on the Optimas. I installed an OEM one in mine last year.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

That was a great time last night pete. My pics and videos were not post worthy. That was pretty funny with your battery last night. No need to be embarrassed in front of friends. it would have been embarrassing if you needed to jump it in front of the million people that were there last night. Pull those led's and all will be well.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My battery was put in service March 2006 and shows no signs of failure. I don't place the car on the battery tender unless it will sit for more than two weeks. I will replace with another Delco. I am not going to replace until I notice the orignal battery shows a loss of capacity. I have installed new replacement batteries that have failed shortly after placing in service, new will not guarantee problem free travel.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't be embarrassed...be glad you got 5+ years of faultless service from your OEM battery! Put a new battery in and figure you're good to go for another 5. It sounds like a great car gathering and a fun night. Despite your battery woes I hope you guys had a blast!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by DT455

You are lucky that the battery lasted that long. I usually change mine out at about 4 years maximum. I've been burned too many times by dead battery syndrome. Ranks up there with running out of gas.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:00 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Don't be embarrassed...be glad you got 5+ years of faultless service from your OEM battery! Put a new battery in and figure you're good to go for another 5. It sounds like a great car gathering and a fun night. Despite your battery woes I hope you guys had a blast!
Oh we had a blast alright. It was just like the fast and the furious. Crazy cars crazy audio systems. Bikes quads cars drifting burnouts and donuts. Tons of people with tons of burning rubber.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rule of thumb out west...two years you replace battery, the heat kills them.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:17 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Im gonna pull the LED's and put the car on the ctek overnight and see what happens over the course of the next couple days before buying a new battery.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:28 PM
exaf86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine's an '06 and had it since 11/2005. I started using a battery tender about a year after since I found it sits in the garage mosta the time. I'm still running strong on the original battery every time I bring 'er out. Just lucky I guess.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:22 PM
racerx1909
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

just replaced my 2006 with 27k with a new delco...$130
Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

1-Never be embarrassed around your friends

2- save the time and effort and BUY a new battery

3- Yep we had a good time and it continued on the way home

4- Lets do it again next tues

are you reading this DSOMZ06 we are missing you.

By the way, bringing Lexie next week

Old 09-14-2011, 06:41 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

The leds are not killing it. It's probably just time for a new one. Take it to an auto parts store and have them test it. I'm sure they'll confirm it needs replaced.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default well...

I look at a battery as a cost per day... I think less than 4 cents a day is good... or Less than $14.60 a year...

As long as a battery works, it is good, if it does not work, it is under warranty....

So I get a 7 year warranty with 3 year No Pro-Rate for $99 at AutoZone, and I am covered to have a working battery for less than 4 cents a day... Simple.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Yep!

Originally Posted by DT455
,, & ! Nuff said!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Ok what about the car freaking out and not letting me shift out of park? Normal ?

Get notified of new replies

To My battery died! (How embarrassing)

Old 09-14-2011, 10:13 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

All battery related.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dendk
Rule of thumb out west...two years you replace battery, the heat kills them.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Just about any crazy electrical symptom on a C6 can be related to a low battery...especially the numerous DIC messages.

Quick Reply: My battery died! (How embarrassing)