C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with 05, Key Fob will only open trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 AM
0Arun@CCP
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Problem with 05, Key Fob will only open trunk?

I've got a problem with a 05 C6. The Key fob will not lock or unlock the doors-it will open the trunk however.

The key fob works-becuase the car will start and doors will not open unless the Key Fob is my pocket-if I leave it in the house the car door will not open.

I used my scanner and no codes came up-no BCM codes or ECM codes.

It did say something on the DIC-like Key FOB, run or off? I'm not 100% exactly sure what it said.

Any idea what's going on?

The dealer said I need new key fobs and a new transmitter.

TIA
Old 09-16-2011, 12:26 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Really have no answer for you but heres a bump to
Keep you on page 1. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Don't know the answer to all your problems with the fob, but here's some information that may be helpful.

1. How do you know the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the fob don't work? Turn off the automatic locking of the doors and use the fob to lock the doors. Put all fobs 20 or 30 feet away and see if you can open the door. If the doors will open without the fob(s), then that part is probably true - those fob buttons are not working.

2. "It did say something on the DIC-like Key FOB, run or off? I'm not 100% exactly sure what it said." This means the engine was running and when you pressed the bottom of the START button to turn off the engine, the car did not detect the fob. That warning was just to let you know that if you stopped the engine, you might not be able to start it again.

If no. 1 above convinces you that the fob buttons will not lock or unlock the car, then your fob might only need a new battery. I'd try that first. The battery is type CR2032, available at Wal-Mart, 2 for less than $5.

Here's what the owner's manual says about fobs that don't seem to be working correctly.

If you ever notice a decrease in the keyless access
transmitter range, try doing one of the following:
• Check the distance. You may be too far from your
vehicle. You may need to stand closer during
rainy or snowy weather.
• Check the location. Other vehicles or objects may
be blocking the signal. Take a few steps to the
left or right, hold the transmitter higher, and
try again.
• Check to determine if battery replacement is
necessary. See “Battery Replacement” under
Keyless Access System Operation on page 2-5.
• Check to make sure that an electronic device such
as a cellular phone or lap top computer is not
causing interference.
• If you are still having trouble, see your dealer/retailer
or a qualified technician for service.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

It did say something on the DIC-like Key FOB, run or off?
That msg comes up when you do something like leave the FOB at home and drive away without it. The car works fine until you go to shut it down. Since it doesn't see a FOB it gives you that msg to make sure you want to shut down because there is no way to start again without the FOB.

So, I'm thinking that for whatever reason, the FOB has stopped properly communicating with the car. First thing to do is make sure the FOB battery (ies) are good (new), correctly installed and not RayOvac. Then check the contacts in the FOB, maybe clean them to make sure. Make sure there are no new electrical devices around that may be interfering with the communication. If that doesn't help, try using the car with the FOB in the glove box holder, buttons facing the passenger side. If everything is okay like that then you know it's a communication issue, car antennas or bad FOB. If not then likely just a bad FOB.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:33 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I agree with Jim above...
Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM
chriscable34
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as locking, I believe you have to set that in the options for the driver. The acc or off in the DIC is generally when you turn off the car. Then it will ask do you want the accessories to keep working, such as radio, or do you want the car to complete shut down. If you have the fob in your pocket and the doors wont open, then it may be the touch pad sensors in the door. It is a cheap and easy fix if it is. I don't think its the fob sense it will open the hatch.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:45 PM
chriscable34
Pro

If you leave the fob while you drive off it will say no fob detected on the DIC.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by chriscable34
If you leave the fob while you drive off it will say no fob detected on the DIC.
But only when you go to shut down. AFAIK, the fob and the car do not communicate at any time unless someone pushes a button - Lock, Unlock, Start switch, door handle, etc.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 PM
chriscable34
Pro

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
But only when you go to shut down. AFAIK, the fob and the car do not communicate at any time unless someone pushes a button - Lock, Unlock, Start switch, door handle, etc.
My dad and mine both say it right after we crank it up and start to move for about 30 seconds then it goes away.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by chriscable34
My dad and mine both say it right after we crank it up and start to move for about 30 seconds then it goes away.
Something is strange.
We had a 2006 that we sold after 44k miles, and now a 2009 with 37k miles. The only time we have ever gotten the message "No fob detected- off or run?" is when we went to shut down the car with no fob inside it.

The only time we got the "No fob detected" message was when we tried to start the car but the fob battery was weak.

What is the exact message you get?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:44 PM
chriscable34
Pro

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Something is strange.
We had a 2006 that we sold after 44k miles, and now a 2009 with 37k miles. The only time we have ever gotten the message "No fob detected- off or run?" is when we went to shut down the car with no fob inside it.

The only time we got the "No fob detected" message was when we tried to start the car but the fob battery was weak.

What is the exact message you get?
Yeah, I think ours is due to placement in our pocket and possibly phone interference. It sounds like the OP gets the message I get when I turn off my car when I shut down my car or either what you describe when shutting the car down with no fob inside. I always get the acc or off. I think that's what it say. I have never got the no fob detected off or run one yet. I am interested to hear more from this. I still have a lot to learn.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with 05, Key Fob will only open trunk?

Quick Reply: Problem with 05, Key Fob will only open trunk?