C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liquid Glass paint sealant

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I think it and Astro Shield are the same product. The only difference is the name on the can. I used Astro Shield a lot in past years. A very good product that is also a polish/sealer. It was one of the few products that could be used on fresh paint. Only issue was the white powder residue it leaves in black plastic like the windshield frame if you happen to get it on them. When you first put it on the finish will look like it has smears on it. The thing to do is to wash the car and dry it again and the swirls will be gone. You can use just about any soap/detergent you want and it won't touch the stuff. I used to use Ivory Liquid to wash the car.

Bill
Old 09-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Salty Dawg
Salty Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I'll experiment on my Beamer after all this rain passes. Thanks for all the feedback.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-24-2011, 02:49 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

Been around a long time......I have a can of it somewhere buried in the garage. I use Meguires now.....who remembers "Blue Corall" which was a blue liquid that you could use to polish.....you'd use that then go over it with a really hard wax in a little shoe polish type can....wax not easy to use...the blue liquid was great though.....but then, that was almost 40 years ago!!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:52 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I'm a fan of Rejex but I haven't used any of the others.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Bearsden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A long time ago I had an '89 Ford Probe GT to which I had applied Liquid Glass several times over the first five years, but never after that. I sold it 20 years later and the paint still looked good and water still beaded.

Sometime in the mid '90s we had our plane stripped and re-painted with DuPont Imron. I asked the paint shop what they thought about using Liquid Glass on the plane since I had good luck with it on the car. They strongly suggested I shouldn't, with their reasoning being that if anything needed to be re-painted or touched up for whatever reason, they would first need to use steel wool to remove the Liquid Glass in order to get the new paint to adhere.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:33 PM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearsden
A long time ago I had an '89 Ford Probe GT to which I had applied Liquid Glass several times over the first five years, but never after that. I sold it 20 years later and the paint still looked good and water still beaded.

Sometime in the mid '90s we had our plane stripped and re-painted with DuPont Imron. I asked the paint shop what they thought about using Liquid Glass on the plane since I had good luck with it on the car. They strongly suggested I shouldn't, with their reasoning being that if anything needed to be re-painted or touched up for whatever reason, they would first need to use steel wool to remove the Liquid Glass in order to get the new paint to adhere.
I put hash stripes on this last spring and all I used was alcohol to clean the fenders right down to the paint.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:01 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Its an older product but still widely available. Finish First is quite similar and often a competitor product. Klasse Twins (AIO and SG) are likely also considered a similar type product but in two-steps. Rejex and Zaino often similar durability but very different ingredients and design.
Its funny you mentioned Finish First.. thats what I was using prior to 98 when I switched to Zaino. You don't see it around much anymore.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Salty Dawg
Salty Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Looks like I have a few choices. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
a friend of mine swears by the stuff. uses it on his dark blue Porche.
His front porche or back porche?

Quick Reply: Liquid Glass paint sealant